Live Levels

Brian Coonan

Power User
Question for some of the experts here. Played the other night - probably my 50th show with the Axe-Fx III with no issues and nothing reported from FoH. Saturday, the sound tech says "your levels are jumping all over - I have to keep riding the faders cause things are changing by 4-6db".

Being open to constructive feedback, I just set my stuff up here at home again and cranked up my volume and checked with a db meter and all of my presets with the exception of my lead channels are very close to each other. I only use about 4 presets live and the one I attached is a big part of the night.

One thing that I didn't find out until waaaay late in the night, even after I had kindly requested that they give me flat EQ, is that he cut my lows and highs - appropriately for a mic'd cab most likely - and who knows what else. We do our own monitors so in my ears, things sounded great. Also at sound check when I went out front, I was hearing what I expected to hear from the Axe from a tone perspective.

So, my question (finally right?) - if they were messing with the EQ on my channel, could that cause them to have some volume inconsistencies, or perceived volume inconsistencies (like for example if they cranked my mids)?

I was wondering if someone could load up this preset and let me know if you're getting anything weird? Scenes 1 and 3 are the rhythm scenes and Scenes 2, 4, 5, 6 are lead scenes (couple of pitch things for specific songs in there). I do have a volume block attached to FC Pedal 2.

No rush, but if someone CAN take a look that would be awesome! Out 1 goes to them and once they were happy with it, I never touched it all night.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BC-Rock Amps.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
I haven't loaded up your patch yet because I'm not in front of the AxeFx, but is it possible that your sound tech is interpreting this inconsistency in levels based on how your sound mixes with the other instruments, and maybe your levels aren't really the issue at all?

Since you said this was around the 50th show, did this level inconsistency only happen at this most recent show? PA issue? Maybe a cabling issue?

I haven't loaded up your patch yet because I'm not in front of the AxeFx, but is it possible that your sound tech is interpreting this inconsistency in levels based on how your sound mixes with the other instruments, and maybe your levels aren't really the issue at all?
That's why I was leaning toward the EQ side of things Bill -definitely possible. The only thing that gets me is that in a multitude of other shows with other engineers, I've not gotten any similar feedback.

If he’s just looking at meters - like this one is louder but it just has more bass intentionally - it could be the reason. If it sounds right, meters could make it seem as there’s a problem visually while the audio is fine. Some engineers only mix by meters, visually.

If he’s just looking at meters - like this one is louder but it just has more bass intentionally - it could be the reason. If it sounds right, meters could make it seem as there’s a problem visually while the audio is fine. Some engineers only mix by meters, visually.
Interesting point Chris. Maybe I should have said something like “use your ears man”. Lol

Scenes 3 and 4 you are using channel B for your drive and amp. Those levels are not the same as in Channel A which is causing the rise and fall in levels. Your filter/slash boost is at 3db which should not be a big deal. Change the channel level to match in A and B and your problem is solved.

@Dino334 one of the reasons why I like this forum - thanks a ton for your input and feedback - I’m going to do into this tomorrow. I knew I was switching channels but didn’t think i heard any real difference. Very much appreciated!

These are the two rhythm channels in this preset. To me, this doesn't seem like things are jumping around - they seem really close. I should mention that when using these, I don't turn the drive block on or off - forgot to mention that in my previous reply to Dino. I would expect FoH to be seeing this same thing. Audio is just from my phone.

I've also attached my other main preset that I use for country stuff, hence the name. This is scenes 2,3,4 which is where I pretty much ride all night on this one when I use it. Drive block stays on here as well.

Attachments

• BC-Country.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
These are the two rhythm channels in this preset. To me, this doesn't seem like things are jumping around - they seem really close. I should mention that when using these, I don't turn the drive block on or off - forgot to mention that in my previous reply to Dino. I would expect FoH to be seeing this same thing. Audio is just from my phone.

I've also attached my other main preset that I use for country stuff, hence the name. This is scenes 2,3,4 which is where I pretty much ride all night on this one when I use it. Drive block stays on here as well.

On the second clip, the lead tone seems quite a bit louder.

I have no idea what guitar/s you're running or how much time you spend up the hero end of the guitar during your set, but I've had a quick crack at taming these for you, based on how I run my own stage presets. Just some level adjusts and a little less Filter boost. Hopefully it will help a little.

Attachments

• Rock Amps - Burg Edit.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
  • BC-Country - BK Edit.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
I have no idea what guitar/s you're running or how much time you spend up the hero end of the guitar during your set, but I've had a quick crack at taming these for you, based on how I run my own stage presets. Just some level adjusts and a little less Filter boost. Hopefully it will help a little.
I'm up in the hero end a LOT cause I'm the lead player. hahah! I generally use a PRS S2 Custom 24, and a custom guitar that has the same set of PRS pickups in it as the actual PRS.

Gonna load these up and see how it goes in rehearsal. Very much appreciate your time and help!

I'm up in the hero end a LOT cause I'm the lead player. hahah! I generally use a PRS S2 Custom 24, and a custom guitar that has the same set of PRS pickups in it as the actual PRS.

Gonna load these up and see how it goes in rehearsal. Very much appreciate your time and help!
OK, the PRS is probably going to hit the front of those amps harder than the Tele I used to tweak these. Hopefully the 1-2dB in the Filter will be enough to help your leads cut through.

Back
Top Bottom