List of Full Albums Mixed in Dolby Atmos

sprint

Axe-Master
I recently added 2 additional powered monitors to my music room completing the setup needed for 7.1.2 Atmos playback via Apple Music. I've been blown away by the sound of many Atmos mixes (tho not all are great). It seems challenging to actually find what's out there in albums fully mixed in Atmos. Apple provides a few Atmos (aka "Spatial Audio" in AM) playlists but it's not even close to a catalogue of what's available within their own overall Atmos selections. Here's a list of what I'm liking so far. Post your selections along with reference to which source / service you found them and maybe we can save some time by having our own collective list on hand for reference:

Widely Publicized Atmos Release (Apple Music):
  • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.
  • Elton John - Honky Chateau.
  • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours.
  • Rolling Stones Goat's Head Soup.
  • Metallica - 72 Seasons.
  • Rush - Moving Pictures.
  • The Who - Who's Next.
  • Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse of Reason.
  • Beatles 1 / Let It Be / Greatest 62-66 / Greatest 67-70.

Maybe Not so Well Known Atmos Release (Apple Music):
  • Pearl Jan - 10.
  • Tears for Fears - The Hurting.
  • Rush - Signals
  • Lynyrd Skynrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd-Skin-Nerd
  • Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
  • R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
  • Chicago - The Very Best of Chicago
  • Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien.
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune.
  • Joni Mitchel - Court and Spark

Last edited:
I bought a pair of the Apple Ear Pod Pro 2(?) partly because they support Spatial Audio, and I really like them. It’s impressive.

I’ve been going back through many favorite movies that support Atmos just to listen to the sound tracks.

I bought a pair of the Apple Ear Pod Pro 2(?) partly because they support Spatial Audio, and I really like them. It’s impressive.

I’ve been going back through many favorite movies that support Atmos just to listen to the sound tracks.
+1 - Love my Airpods Pro also.

fyi all - I'll continue to update post#1 here with new selections as I find them going forward. Depending on the feedback others provide also on what they've found, if the list gets big, I'll move it to a spreadsheet format with more details.

👍some items of interest there I'd not yet checked out (fyi, I'm only listing albums above after I've listened to them in full). Been googling around a fair amount also, but surprised how many do not show up in search results. Also, there's a lot of single song only Atmos releases that tend to be fairly easy to find - the full album releases I'm mostly interested in (at least somewhat or more guitarcentric) are not always so evident in searches for some reason. So that's why I'm suggesting there's value in building a list here of full Album Atmos releases.

👍some items of interest there I'd not yet checked out (fyi, I'm only listing albums above after I've listened to them in full). Been googling around a fair amount also, but surprised how many do not show up in search results. Also, there's a lot of single song only Atmos releases that tend to be fairly easy to find - the full album releases I'm mostly interested in (at least somewhat or more guitarcentric) are not always so evident in searches for some reason. So that's why I'm suggesting there's value in building a list here of full Album Atmos releases.
Apple's Music app is my starting point:
  • click Browse, scroll to the bottom, Click Spatial Audio in the bottom-right.
  • Alternately, click iTunes Store on the left then Spatial Music on the right.
Hendrix's Electric Ladyland sounds great, Rage Against the Machine's euphonious release (I have "Killing In the Name" loud in my headphones right now), Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Rolling Stones' Forty Licks to pick-up individual songs. Then there are the breakouts by genre that have individual songs that have been remixed for Atmos.

The quality of the mixes is amazing. I can't tell if it's because of them having gone back to the original tapes and cleaning up the sound with new tools, or if it's the Atmos technology itself, but there are details I've never heard before.

Last edited:
Apple's Music app is my starting point:
  • click Browse, scroll to the bottom, Click Spatial Audio in the bottom-right.
  • Alternately, click iTunes Store on the left then Spatial Music on the right.
Hendrix's Electric Ladyland sounds great, Rage Against the Machine's euphonious release (I have "Killing In the Name" loud in my headphones right now), Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, The Rolling Stones' Forty Licks to pick-up individual songs. Then there are the breakouts by genre that have individual songs that have been remixed for Atmos.

The quality of the mixes is amazing. I can't tell if it's because of them having gone back to the original tapes and cleaning up the sound with new tools, or if it's the Atmos technology itself, but there are details I've never heard before.
WOW DUUUUDE! Thats the MOTHERLOAD hiding down there!!

WOW DUUUUDE! Thats the MOTHERLOAD hiding down there!!
The thing is, and it’s understandable, but Apple hasn’t rereleased every album in Atmos, or Spatial Audio, because it takes a lot of work. They’re trying for bang for the buck. I’m sure they’ll work through what they can.

Electric Ladyland… That album alone will be worth listening to many times over, again.

I want to hear albums redone like Loggins and Messina’s On Stage (live) album, some of Return to Forever’s albums with Al Di Meola and Stanley Clarke, Mahavishnu Orchestra’s Birds of Fire, Jeff Beck’s Blow By Blow and Wired and….

Last edited:
The thing is, and it’s understandable, but Apple hasn’t rereleased every album in Atmos, or Spatial Audio, because it takes a lot of work. They’re trying for bang for the buck. I’m sure they’ll work through what they can.

Electric Ladyland… That album alone will be worth listening to many times over, again.

I want to hear albums redone like Loggins and Messina’s On Stage (live) album, some of Return to Forever’s albums with Al Di Meola and Stanley Clarke, Mahavishnu Orchestra’s Birds of Fire, Jeff Beck’s Blow By Blow and Wired and….
Listening to E.L. now - sound so live - nice. I'm really loving the the vocals isolated to the front center though I have to make sure I sit in the right spot so that everything sounds right - often, there's a pretty specific sweet spot to sit in with speakers.

Check out Satriani - Always with Me, Always with You - Glorious. I'd grown tired of that record long ago - Atmos totally revives it for me.

Some tracks are doing some really tasteful sweeps around the spectrum, others not so tasteful to my ear - yet other mixes are not moving around much but are just a nice balance across the channels - Skynyrd's first album in Atmos is like that for me - "nothin' fancy" (as they said once), but a nice balanced separation side to side / front to back / up down. I get the sense that when Atmos is done well, it's really good, but it could be easy to f*#@k up - the listener is really aware of the mix - wouldn't want to be goin cheap on remixing Iconic albums in Atmos.

I guess the possible outcomes depend on what they have to work with on some of the old stuff - getting back to the early 70s / late 60s, they were sometimes (maybe often) running into restrictions on the number of separate tracks available so were combining stuff - hard to separate that out for Atmos now - doable with the new tools as you mentioned above but likely costly to do it right.

I'd love for TS to do the first Boston Album if he still has control over that - not holding my breath though - I love Boston, but man, so much missed opportunity on the whole remix/remaster your hit albums every few years train.

Back
Top Bottom