Liquid Foot JR 8P/8S mode

GreenTea

Inspired
The Axe-FX experience is fantastic!! I chose the LFJr to help access all of that musical alchemy. I’m not the most midi-enlightened person but I’ve gone through a lot of approaches to my LFJr; so, thought I’d share how it’s currently being used. BIG thanks to Patrick Voes for his efforts to create and maintain the awesome “how to” page; that’s really opened the door http://voes.be/liquidfoot/jr/index.html. A few years ago I used the Rocktron MidiMate but that eventually went tits up. I find the LFJr’s size and potency for live apps is incredible. Phantom power with 7-pin to 7-pin midi wire mates the LFJr with the Axe-FX Ultra. It's deep if you want it to be... but here's how I employ it.

The LFjr is currently configured in the 8 Preset/8 Switch (control change, or ‘cc’) mode; 2.07 is the LFJr firmware. (The only problem I have with 2.07 is the autoload function; autoload worked fine with earlier fw but with 2.07 I had to manually load all patches through the LF editor. No problem, but that did take some time.) Anyway, the LFJr works like a champ other than this. And, the 8P/8S mode is really wide-open functional.

The Menu button is configured like this:
• 1 click = toggle back & forth between 8P/8S modes
• 2 sec. hold = tuner linked to Axe-FX
• 3 sec. hold = jump 8 patches @ a time or to the main menu

Here’s a camera-phone pic of the LFJr in 8S mode. “ETHOS” is the name of the stored patch on the Axe-FX. The yellow effects listed (top, larger font, bold) are for default “page 0” effects. The red effects (lower, smaller font) are for “page 1” effects. So, for example, with one click of the “Magic” button, I quickly jump between pages for fast access to all Axe-FX effects for any given patch. Here, my main boost and primary short delay are “on” (green led’s ignited)... red led’s indicating that an effect is accessible in this particular patch, but “off” for the moment.

LF1.jpg

I’ve dedicated the lower, right “MAGIC” button to jump with one click to the next effects page.

Page “0” is the default and, as I’ve configured it, I can access:
BOOST1 VIBE ROTARY WAH
DRIVE1 DELAY1 TREM

In the below camera-phone image, the “MAGIC” button in the same patch pictured above has been engaged; one click of the “MAGIC” button accesses my effects on Page “1.” (Note that the “Alt. Function” led is lit – the led shines different colors for different pages.) There is no BOOST 2 in this particular patch, so the led is not lit.

LF2.jpg

Page “1” is the next page to access:
BOOST2 PHASER CHORUS FLANGER
DRIVE2 DELAY2 VOL

Page “2” is the next page to access:
…more effects… and so on….

(Not pictured are expression pedals which also do different things; also use “step-thru” and other potent functions, but won’t go into that now.)

The labels are printed in black background on my home printer. Showcard Gothic font (like you needed to know that lol)… then wrapped in simple clear packaging tape; double-sided tape is trimmed and used to hold label to the LFJr.

This is a incredible post and very informative :!:

1. When you're accessing these 13 or so different effects on your page's 0,1,2... are you accessing all these effects from "One Preset" on the Axe Fx or do you have to create Multiple variations of the Preset with slightly different effects :?:

2. Can you program one expression pedal to control different effects within the same Axe Fx preset dependent
on what page your on within the LFjr. For example, the same expression pedal controls your rotary on page 0 and your chorus on page 1 all within one Axe Preset :?: :ugeek:

3. I'm ecstatic that you posted the labeling process, what program did you create the font in?

I'm really trying to find a controller that's the size of the LFjr. but gives more than lets say 6 IA's in a single Axe Fx preset. I new to this, so i'm still getting a grasp on it all. Thanks :D

Cory508 said:
This is a incredible post and very informative :!:

1. When you're accessing these 13 or so different effects on your page's 0,1,2... are you accessing all these effects from "One Preset" on the Axe Fx or do you have to create Multiple variations of the Preset with slightly different effects :?:

2. Can you program one expression pedal to control different effects within the same Axe Fx preset dependent
on what page your on within the LFjr. For example, the same expression pedal controls your rotary on page 0 and your chorus on page 1 all within one Axe Preset :?: :ugeek:

3. I'm ecstatic that you posted the labeling process, what program did you create the font in?

I'm really trying to find a controller that's the size of the LFjr. but gives more than lets say 6 IA's in a single Axe Fx preset. I new to this, so i'm still getting a grasp on it all. Thanks :D

Thank you. The LFJr is a great midi device.

1. Yes, I am accessing all my effects within one preset (man, the Ultra is powerful!!!).

2. Sorry; I'm not so good at midi, so I am not sure about the expression pedal question.

3. Simple PowerPoint. The labels are printed in black background on my home printer. Showcard Gothic font.

Cory508 said:
yes, that's possible. the IA switch that changes the page could have an additional command to switch the CC of the external pedal.

Cory508 said:

check this link: http://voes.be/liquidfoot/jr/misc_labels.html

Do you use any Tap Tempo switches on the LFjr?
What expression pedal would you recommend for using the pedal with more than one effect in one preset?

Hello GreenTea, can i pose a couple questions to you?

Two question's:

A.Can the Menu switch be setup like such?:
1st- tap tempo
2sec hold- tuner
3sec hold- S8/P8

B. I have the Mission SPL-LF expression pedal, it has a toggle switch under the toe. I know i can program it to control at least 2 controller messages but...
Just how many different Effects within a single Axe Fx preset can i program it to address?
I mean is there some tricky clever way to get it to control Leslie speed...then whammy....then volume or wha or Delay feedback all in a single preset... all based on which effect is selected? :geek: :?

Cory508 said:
Hello GreenTea, can i pose a couple questions to you?

Two question's:

A.Can the Menu switch be setup like such?:
1st- tap tempo
2sec hold- tuner
3sec hold- S8/P8
yes

Cory508 said:
B. I have the Mission SPL-LF expression pedal, it has a toggle switch under the toe. I know i can program it to control at least 2 controller messages but...
Just how many different Effects within a single Axe Fx preset can i program it to address?
I mean is there some tricky clever way to get it to control Leslie speed...then whammy....then volume or wha or Delay feedback all in a single preset... all based on which effect is selected? :geek: :?
yes, this is a hypotetic example

default expr1 CC1 volume

toe-switch will activate S40
step-thu
step 1
change expr1 to CC40 whammy
step 2
change expr1 back to CC1 (volume)

S1 (leslie)
ON
CC11 value 127 (leslie on)
change expr1 to CC12 (expression 1 on axe-fx controlling rotary speed)
OFF
CC11 value 0 (leslie off)
change expr1 back to CC1 (volume)

hope this helps

Thanks a Million GreenTea,

"default expr1 CC1 volume

step-thu
step 1
step 2
change expr1 back to CC1 (volume)"

I totally get this first part.

But this second have still has me confused to how i might be able to control like 4 effects with the one SPL-LF? :?:
Sorry for being a little slow here :lol:
"S1 (leslie)
ON
OFF
:?: :?: :?:

Cory508 said:
Thanks a Million GreenTea,

"default expr1 CC1 volume

step-thu
step 1
step 2

I totally get this first part.

But this second have still has me confused to how i might be able to control like 4 effects with the one SPL-LF? :?:
Sorry for being a little slow here :lol:
"S1 (leslie)
ON
OFF
:?: :?: :?:

Yes, each IA-switch (S-block) can send 20 command ON and 20 commands off, so yes you can have 4 IA-switches with ON/OFF and different expression CC change

Took me a while to really get this, but i think i have a general grasp of what you guys are saying.
THANKS AND MORE THANKS :!: :!: :!: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Thanks for the inspiration. I've setup mine similar to yours in 8P/8S mode. I just received my LF Jr and it's been a steep learning curve. I spent about 6 hours straight trying to configure it, following Voe's site closely (many thanks for doing that!).

Just a bit of background about me - I'm an absolute MIDI newbie, so that's why it took me so long to configure it. I found that the Tap Tempo in Voes' site was different to the one in the LF Jr manual. But I ended up following Voes' instructions and it works great.

Just had some questions/problems along the way:

1. I can't get the top row of my LF Jr to show red LEDs when my individual CCs are "off". When I enable them, it turns green, and when I disable them, they just turn off altogether. The bottom row is fine though. Any chance to fix this?

2. Sometimes I find myself having to press the Menu button a couple of times before it switches between Program and Switch mode. I followed Voe's site on how to set this up, so maybe I'm missing something.

3. When I rearrange patches on the Axe Fx (eg. say I store Preset 82 over Preset 4 so I can use it on the LF Jr), do I have to do an autoload again through the Utilities menu? Or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

takamine said:
1. I can't get the top row of my LF Jr to show red LEDs when my individual CCs are "off". When I enable them, it turns green, and when I disable them, they just turn off altogether. The bottom row is fine though. Any chance to fix this?

2. Sometimes I find myself having to press the Menu button a couple of times before it switches between Program and Switch mode. I followed Voe's site on how to set this up, so maybe I'm missing something.

3. When I rearrange patches on the Axe Fx (eg. say I store Preset 82 over Preset 4 so I can use it on the LF Jr), do I have to do an autoload again through the Utilities menu? Or is there an easier way?

1. Easy fix... just set initial state for "red." Poke around & you'll find it.

2. To TOGGLE 8S/8P with quick menu tap, then get to the Tuner by holding the MENU key for 2 seconds... here is how you do it:
Step by Step (I use IA switch 63 and 64 to program the functions--you can use what you want).

GLOBAL MENU:
a. Set "MENU HOLD 2S" to 63 (IA switch 63 will trigger button mode changes)
b. Set "MENU HOLD 3S" to 64 (IA switch 64 will trigger TUNER)
c. Set "REVSE MENU HOLD" to ON (this will reverse how the menu key works and then go into menu mode when holding it for 3 seconds or more)

SWITCH EDIT:
a. EDIT SWITCH 64 as follows for TUNER (assume AXE-FX is on midi channel 1 and tuner CC# is 100 for this example):
1. TYPE: QUICK-TAP
2. ON 01 M:01 C:B 1:100 1:127
3. ON 02 M:SPECIAL 1:000 1:000
4. ON 03 M:01 C:B 1:100 1:000

b. EDIT SWITCH 63 as follows for STEP-THRU button mode changer (toggle between 8P & 8S)
1. TYPE: STEP-THRU
2. ON 01 M:SPECIAL 1:001 1:000
3. ON 02 M:SPECIAL 1:012 1:003
4. ON 03 M:SPECIAL 1:001 1:000
5. ON 04 M:SPECIAL 1:012 1:002
You are done. What happens:
--Press Menu key as normal and the modes will now toggle between 8P and 8S
--Press Menu key for 2 blinks of the TEMPO light and you will engage TUNER
--Press Menu key for 3+ blinks of the TEMPO light and you will enter BANK/MENU as normal.

3. Lot of options for this question. No more time. Good luck.

Thanks GreenTea, solved Issue #2 for me!

For issue #1, i still find that only the S1, S2, S3, and S4 buttons (middle row buttons) don't show lit red LEDs for bypassed effects. The P1, P2, P3 and P4 buttons are all lit either green or red.

What I've done so far:

PRESET MENU:
a) Choose the relevant preset, then [P4] to next screen
b) [P4] again to skip the Edit name screen
c) [P4] again to skip the 01: M01 AXE-FX screen
d) Now here's where you select the IA switches and its state.
e) IA1 = Green, [S4] to go to next IA
f) Do the same thing for other IAs

IA2 = Red
IA3 = Red
IA4 = Green
IA5 = Red
IA6 = Green
IA7 = Red
IA8 = Green

After IA8, I press [S4] to go to the next page which is IA9, but I don't use anything past IA8, so after getting to the IA9 page, I press MENU and then MENU again to get back to my preset.

In 8S mode, I see 6 out of 8 lights lit, even though I've set all 8 to light up.

The middle row (IA5 - IA 8): Off | Green | Off | Green)
The bottom row (IA1 - IA4: Green | Red | Red | Green)

The Red LEDs on S1-S4 are working because they light up when I'm in the menu mode. So I've got a feeling I've done something wrong. I'll get in contact with Jeff to see if he can help me out and I'll report back on the solution for it if there's any.

Greentea i could really use some help, i've posted over on the LFjr. forums and its a ghost town over there.

I'm having a number of problems setting up my LFjr.

1. i'm trying to set up my swoo4 aka submenu IA switch to cycle pages 0,1,2,3. and then clone it.
Having no luck, I've followed the instructions on the liquid foot jr support site, any suggestions?

2. why does my display selection start to scroll uncontrollably making it a super hassle to get thru programming?

3. I think i have the LFjr. seeing the AXE Tuner but i'm having no luck with assigning a IA to Tap Tempo?

4. Also, i bought my LFjr. new from Liquid Foot and the 7 pin cable i purchased won't power the LFjr., so i have to use the power supply and two 5pin midi cables, any idea why this is? i've contacted liquid foot but no response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :? :| :?: :?: :?:

Cory508 said:
3. I think i have the LFjr. seeing the AXE Tuner but i'm having no luck with assigning a IA to Tap Tempo?

4. Also, i bought my LFjr. new from Liquid Foot and the 7 pin cable i purchased won't power the LFjr., so i have to use the power supply and two 5pin midi cables, any idea why this is? i've contacted liquid foot but no response.

I have no idea how to help with the first 2 (I'm also a MIDI noob, and I only got my Jr. yesterday), but I think I can answer questions 3 and 4.

3) It's actually quite easy with more recent firmware versions. First, go to the I/O>CTRL menu of the Axe-Fx and find the CC # for Tap Tempo. Next, go to the global menu and scroll through until the screen says "TAP TEMPO CC#?", and enter in the value you found on the Axe-Fx. Last, go to the switch menu, select the switch you want to define, and set the switch type as Tap Tempo. No MIDI programming is required, and it works perfectly.

4) I think the answer was already given at the LF board, but remember that you have to plug in the LF Jr. Power supply to the back of the Axe-Fx for phantom power to work. The plug-in is just above the MIDI In jack.

All that said, I have a question of my own. I'm using my Menu button identically to the original poster, but I can't figure out how to use the 3 second command on the menu button to skip 8 presets at a time, so I'm currently stuck using my first 8 presets only. Anyone know how to make that work?

PianoMan said:
Cory508 said:

I have no idea how to help with the first 2 (I'm also a MIDI noob, and I only got my Jr. yesterday), but I think I can answer questions 3 and 4.

3) It's actually quite easy with more recent firmware versions. First, go to the I/O>CTRL menu of the Axe-Fx and find the CC # for Tap Tempo. Next, go to the global menu and scroll through until the screen says "TAP TEMPO CC#?", and enter in the value you found on the Axe-Fx. Last, go to the switch menu, select the switch you want to define, and set the switch type as Tap Tempo. No MIDI programming is required, and it works perfectly.

4) I think the answer was already given at the LF board, but remember that you have to plug in the LF Jr. Power supply to the back of the Axe-Fx for phantom power to work. The plug-in is just above the MIDI In jack.

All that said, I have a question of my own. I'm using my Menu button identically to the original poster, but I can't figure out how to use the 3 second command on the menu button to skip 8 presets at a time, so I'm currently stuck using my first 8 presets only. Anyone know how to make that work?

Piano Man, i think you change the Banks by hitting the Menu button once, when you see the asterisk hit the up/down buttons and it should shift banks.

Back
Top Bottom