Linux support?

So after logging in as root, using the full bash path made it work. The difference now is that it shows me the "Install Fractal Audio System USB bootloader" message and asks me to press a key to proceed with the license agreement. When it was failing, it skipped over that and immediately went to the license agreement. Seems like an error handling issue...

My bash version is 4.3.11...
Thanks again for the help!
RR

Hi RafterRattler,

I was able to reproduce the error by starting the script under Ubuntu 14.04 like that:
Code:
sudo /bin/sh axefx2setup.sh
or
sudo sh axefx2setup.sh

Executing a script by explicitly calling a certain shell (like /bin/sh does) prevents the shell definition at the beginning of the script (here: #!/bin/bash) to be respected.

Under Ubuntu (14.04) sh is symlinked to dash which is the default shell of Ubuntu. So the code above uses dash to execute the script. Dash is smaller and maybe faster than bash but provides not all the bells and whistles of bash... amongst others -n is not an option of the read command in dash.

Could this have been the cause for your issue?

Hi RafterRattler,

I was able to reproduce the error by starting the script under Ubuntu 14.04 like that:
Code:
sudo /bin/sh axefx2setup.sh
or
sudo sh axefx2setup.sh

Executing a script by explicitly calling a certain shell (like /bin/sh does) prevents the shell definition at the beginning of the script (here: #!/bin/bash) to be respected.

Under Ubuntu (14.04) sh is symlinked to dash which is the default shell of Ubuntu. So the code above uses dash to execute the script. Dash is smaller and maybe faster than bash but provides not all the bells and whistles of bash... amongst others -n is not an option of the read command in dash.

Could this have been the cause for your issue?

Ding ding ding! That is exactly what I was doing. I didn't know that sh was invoking Dash. Why did it work for version 1.03 then?

RR

Version 1.03 does not work different here (Ubuntu 14.04, 64bit). Maybe you started version 1.03 like that
Code:
sudo ./axefx2setup.sh
This way the shell definition at the beginning of the script is respected and bash is used.

Why not? But seriously, I am no Ubuntu guy and I was just quickly testing for RafterRattler. As I mentioned above, I run Ubuntu 14.04 in a virtual machine and found su asking for a password I did not have. I guess the reason is the superuser account is disabled in Ubuntu (14.04) by default and has no password...

Edit: Just to clarify: The script needs root privileges for some operations. Otherwise there would be no need to use sudo of course.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: The script needs root privileges for some operations.
Ah crap, you run it on the install script, not afx2-tool. Sorry, of course the install script needs root priviledges somewhere.

My bad, please ignore my last post!

Version 1.03 does not work different here (Ubuntu 14.04, 64bit). Maybe you started version 1.03 like that
Code:
sudo ./axefx2setup.sh
This way the shell definition at the beginning of the script is respected and bash is used.

Hmmm...I don't think I did, but I guess it's possible. I'll try it and see when I get a few minutes. Either way, I think we did nail the issue. Thanks again!

RR

https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2usb-linux
https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2tool-linux

I've managed to run Axe-Edit under WINE, but not without a bit of troubleshooting. (I suspect that success depends upon the particular version of WINE, or perhaps the details of what's installed by the distro.)

That said, I use the above driver and CLI almost exclusively. I'm quite comfortable editing presets from the AFX front panel.
https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2usb-linux
https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2tool-linux

I've managed to run Axe-Edit under WINE, but not without a bit of troubleshooting. (I suspect that success depends upon the particular version of WINE, or perhaps the details of what's installed by the distro.)

That said, I use the above driver and CLI almost exclusively. I'm quite comfortable editing presets from the AFX front panel.
Hi, would you be able to give some kind of description of how to use the afx2usb-linux file please? I can't find any installation instructions!
Cheers Simon

Make sure you have the packages git and fxload installed using your distributions package manager. What distribution do you use btw?

Then run those commands in a terminal.

First, let's install afx2usb-linux

Code:
cd /tmp
(or go into whatever directory you prefer)
Code:
git clone https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2usb-linux.git
cd afx2usb-linux
sudo ./axefx2-usb-setup -i

I didn't test those command lines, but they should work I hope. I'm pretty sure you'll need to reboot for it to work.

Second, let's install afx2tool-linux

Code:
cd /tmp
(same as before, use the directory you prefer)
Code:
git clone https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2tool-linux.git
cd afx2tool-linux
chmod +x afx2-tool
sudo cp afx2-tool /usr/local/bin

If it doesn't work, please provide the whole terminal output using the code tags here on this forum.

And if you don't trust me (which is always a good idea, since you don't know me personally), I can describe every command line if you ask me to.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the packages git and fxload installed using your distributions package manager. What distribution do you use btw?

Then run those commands in a terminal.

First, let's install afx2usb-linux

Code:
cd /tmp
(or go into whatever directory you prefer)
Code:
git clone https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2usb-linux.git
cd afx2usb-linux
sudo ./axefx2-usb-setup

I didn't test those command lines, but they should work I hope. I'm pretty sure you'll need to reboot for it to work.

Second, let's install afx2tool-linux

Code:
cd /tmp
(same as before, use the directory you prefer)
Code:
git clone https://github.com/TieDyedDevil/afx2tool-linux.git
cd afx2tool-linux
chmod +x afx2-tool
sudo cp afx2-tool /usr/local/bin

If it doesn't work, please provide the whole terminal output using the code tags here on this forum.

And if you don't trust me (which is always a good idea, since you don't know me personally), I can describe every command line if you ask me to.
I'm running the latest Raspbian Buster on a Pi4.
I'm getting the following error:
1603521044587.png

I cannot reproduce this and don't really understand the error message.

Maybe you need to install some development packages first, so you have everything you need to build packages?

I have however found an error in my instructions. axefx2-usb-setup provides some options. You'll need to use the -i switch to install the package. I've updated my instructions accordingly.

Lines 10, 17 and 21 are blank from browsing the script in GitHub.

Line 23 is a "{".

I bet line terminators are wrong.

Also, I'm not versed in Pi... Is the sh POSIX?

Because that shell script would not work with a traditional Bourne-shell sh. Things like $(...) are POSIX standard, which Bash (the default sh on many Linux distros) supports... But they don't work in a real Bourne-shell.

In any case, you should not get the errors you got because of that.

Try this command and post the results:

Code:
cat -vet axefx2-usb-setup| head -20

The Pi 4 uses a Broadcom BCM2711 chipset which has ARM cores. You're going to have a really bad time trying to get a Windows program meant for an x86 processor running on an ARM processor.
I don't understand... Simon seems to intend to run afx2tool on his Raspberry Pi. It's script based, so it's platform independent and runs perfectly fine on ARM, x86 and many others. However AxeEdit wouldn't just run of course, but that's not what he's trying to do.

I don't understand... Simon seems to intend to run afx2tool on his Raspberry Pi. It's script based, so it's platform independent and runs perfectly fine on ARM, x86 and many others. However AxeEdit wouldn't just run of course, but that's not what he's trying to do.
Scripts are never platform independent. The script just orchestrates interacting with a number of binary packages. Foremost: udev and fxload. If those packages aren't present or available for ARM, you're a long way from being able to use the script, easily, on your RPi device.

I did think he was trying to run Axe-Edit, but even if you're just trying to get audio working via USB on the Pi you're in for an uphill battle. Get ready to roll up your sleeves to understand what packages the script is trying to work with and whether or not they're precompiled and available in an upstream repo you can apt-get from on your RPi or how to compile them from source on your RPi.

Statement stands. Doubly so if you think "a script is platform independent".

Everyone seems to be confused now! :). What I WAS trying to achieve was to setup a USB midi connection between the Raspberry Pi and the AxeFxII. so that I can run my 'pi-setlist' application. I am currently using Bluetooth midi to communicate, but was thinking that a USB connection would be more stable. My understanding was that axfx2-usb was a program that loaded the linux usb drivers into the axefx2. Have I misunderstood something?

The requirement for all of this was for two reasons, one current, and one future. At the moment I am using a MFC-101 and MFC-Edit to program my setlists for every gig, but that program is now unsupported and has issues running on windows 10 (and was a pain to use and download with old school midi every time). So I wrote a python program that lets me download my setlist from Bandhelper (or any other similar type app) and load it directly into the Raspberry Pi from my phone. I use a two button Boss pedal plugged into the MFC-101 to send 'Next Song'/'Previous Song' control change commands to the Raspberry Pi, via a Yamaha BT-MD01 unit, the pi then sends patch change commands back to the Axe to step through the setlist. The system works perfectly and is neat and simple. I have used it now for about five or six gigs with no dramas and it has the added advantage that I can change the setlist at the gig ,so I don't have to get the gear out of the band trailer between gigs! The Yamaha BT-MD01 just plugs directly into the two midi ports on the back of the Axe and is powered by the ports, simple!

The next reason for the USB midi was that I was looking to update to an AxefxIII and new pedal board (I've run my AxefxII for seven years now gigging almost every week, so it's getting on!). That was until I discovered a few MAJOR issues! Firstly the new axefxIII and new FC pedals don't do setlists or any equivalent to setlists! I am absolutely astounded by this 'bedroom guitarist' mentality from Fractal! I believe this 'feature' is coming but until it does I would need a solution (please don't tell me I could rearrange patches for every gig! I might think you are an idiot). The next 'feature' I discovered was that the axefxIII does NOT send control changes out of it's USB midi port! ( I won't even begin to discuss this omission because I won't be able to stop myself from saying things I might regret!) Anyway!, this means we are back to Bluetooth midi for the axefxIII as well, so no need for the USB anyway! :)

Hi Folks, I have some good news on the setlist front!, I have got the raspberry pi set-list application running using a direct USB midi cable :cool:. I have been using the system now for about three months with the Bluetooth midi connection (and it has not let me down) but I was not really happy with that as a full time solution because there are hundreds of Bluetooth devices cluttering up the airwaves at most gigs. My system now consists of a Raspberry Pi permanently connected to the axefx II with a standard USB cable, and powered by a 5V micro USB plug pack, and a Boss FS-6 Footswitch pugged into the 1+2 switches socket on the MFC-10. The A/B switches scroll forward or back through the setlist. Everything starts up automatically when the rack is powered up and I can simply download my setlist directly from my phone when I get to the gig!

If anyone is interested, drop me a message. I haven't documented the process of setting it up yet, but I will if others are interested.

I'll drop a link to this topic on the other forum groups for those that would not usually read this page.

Brief video here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fractalaudio

Cheers Simon
IMG_2464 (2).JPGIMG_2465.JPG

Back
Top Bottom