Linking Processors in AxeFXII

Imoutanames

Hi Forum, I was just watching a Rig Rundown with Dweezil and heard him say he runs out of processing power building his pesets. If he has two AxeFXII's could one be dedicated to Amp models while the other effects, with both units linking and utilizing their two processors for twice the power for each unit/task? Has this been talked about is this possible? Thanks!

From what I understand No.
The AF II uses one processor just for the amp blocks and the other for everything else. So you could unburden the unit of the amp blocks but it would still be one processor for effects for and general housekeeping.

However you still have a cool idea! You could use the 2nd AF II with amp blocks like you said and maybe the cab blocks also taking them away from the first unit.
But might be one of those situations more work than it is worth

I would love to buy a second unit and let you know.
But unfortunately I cant :roll

John

Well, you could always put the second unit in the FX loop of the first if you want more effects than the Axe can handle in a single preset. I'd guess that's where he's running out of power...too many simultaneous effects, vs amp models.

Hi Forum, I was just watching a Rig Rundown with Dweezil and heard him say he runs out of processing power building his pesets. If he has two AxeFXII's could one be dedicated to Amp models while the other effects, with both units linking and utilizing their two processors for twice the power for each unit/task? Has this been talked about is this possible? Thanks!

Why? What would you need to do that would need to fill things with?

I'd say even Dweezil is doing too much with one preset; all of which *should* be solved with 'Scenes'. I'm sure he would (sorta) like to simplify and have every possible permutation he could possibly encounter at his toetips, but is it really practical to have that? I mean, it works great if you have a MIDI board with 893 buttons that you have to keep track of, but who really needs to do that?

2 Units, 2 MFC's, off you go if that's your need.

I just didn't know if the structure of the Axe was such that this maybe possible or practical as it does everything I could ever imagine. I'm with you epirate I dont need to do that just curious. Thanks guys!

From a hardware design standpoint this is not possible, there is no way to transfer data between the two units processors fast enough.

I always thought it would have been cool if Cliff had done a firmware for the ultra that made it into just the fx section of the II. But I guess that is a bunch of work that wouldn't sell any more new units, and Fractal is busy enough with fw 10 and AE.

meh, just have the processors communicate over wifi. i'm sure there wouldn't be any latency.

:D

2 axe fx would do it. I run out of processor too, I have started using 2 amps in my chain with a modifier to mute one or the other. After I add reverbs delays, stomp boxes, etc, I run out of processor if I run the 2 cabs in HiRes. So I run them in Low Res. It matters which effects or which amp models you pull up. Some of them are really processor intense, more so than some others. Sometimes, you can choose wrong and you've chosen all of the most labor intensive reverbs and delays, or amps, and you'll get an overload warning. If you still keep reverbs and delays, but you switch to less detailed ones, the CPU usage goes back down into acceptable levels.

If I had a 2nd Axe II, I would remove the cabs all together from the first axe, which would allow for many more effects. I would run the first Axe into the second and use the 2nd one for the Cabs and additional effects, or looper, whatever.

Note also, that I am using the Effects Loop in my Axe, which is another effect block that sucks CPU. If I had 2 Fractals, I would probably just have my extra gadgets in the audio path between the 2 units, thereby freeing up even more CPU in the first Fractal unit.

Whoops - sounds like I just talked myself into a 2nd Fractal unit......

Dweezil was talking about when he was using Ultras, he needed to use two at the same time because he ran out of processing power. He was using 2 and had 2 for backups. Now he can get what he needs out of the II. He runs one and has a second as a backup now.

Back
Top Bottom