Line IP to FOH -do you hear a difference?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Do you run it this way and do you hear a difference going into a regular Mic IP with an XLR as opposed to going into a Line IP with a TRS or other?

Last edited:
It depends on your mixer. Some of them can't handle the MIC input and require the LINE input instead. Others require you to just enable a pad on the mixer. And some have enough range that it doesn't matter. Set the levels and you should be good to go. I've never been able to tell the difference. Keep in mind you also have some options on the AXE like -10dBv or +4dBu on your outputs.

Agree--this will depend on the topology of the FOH console.

I find the *easiest* way to set up quickly with a house crew is to use a passive (transformer) DI box to send a mic-level signal to FOH. That's the level they're used to getting from microphone/amp, and the transformer will ensure no ground hum.

But as biskitboy mentioned, there are many ways to do this, and it's unlikely you'll notice any tonal difference (as long as you don't clip the FOH inputs)

-James

My setup is Channel 2 XLR out to FOH XLR in, which would be balanced line out and have never had a problem. It may make a difference on a lower end consoles.

Back
Top Bottom