Line 6 POD HD500 as floor controller for Axe FX

hoss

Inspired
This looks really interesting, is there anybody on the forum who has a HD500 and an Axe FX?

The MIDI controls of the 500 are supposed to be fully programmable.
For the price it could make a nice foot controller (with pedal!) and a backup unit, too.

hoss said:
This looks really interesting, is there anybody on the forum who has a HD500 and an Axe FX?

The MIDI controls of the 500 are supposed to be fully programmable.
For the price it could make a nice foot controller (with pedal!) and a backup unit, too.

I would also want to know

And I guess it goes without saying... if this works, your foot controller is also your backup rig! Not a bad thought.

Hmmm. now there's a marketing angle for line6: "The new HD500... the perfect accessory and emergancy backup rig for the (far superior) FAS Axe FX".

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I would like to hear more detail on this. Sounds like a great idea, and a nice way to keep GAS alive hehe

Would be interesting to see - in the long term - how many HD 500 were sold to Axe FX or Eleven Rack users for these purposes :!:

sheguitarplayer said:
Yes it works fine. Nice and easy to program/use, and a lot sturdier than previous incarnations.

So does both expression pedals work (toe switch and all)? Does the tap tempo work?

feinberger said:
sheguitarplayer said:
Yes it works fine. Nice and easy to program/use, and a lot sturdier than previous incarnations.

So does both expression pedals work (toe switch and all)? Does the tap tempo work?

Yes, the tap-tempo works.

Yes, you can assign two midi CC numbers to the toe switch to turn on/off two effects, but there is a bug in the firmware. The CC# that is assigned for the two functions is set to the same value and does not retain the two individual values. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update. I had it working fine for volume, or wha, but not switching between the two. There is also a second pedal input on the HD500, but I did not try that. I'm sure it would work fine.

What about the cheaper HD300. Same MIDI Programmability?

I've been seriously thinking about something like this. I like my old DMC Ground Control, but I hate the buttons.

I started looking into building my own MIDI pedal. Then I saw the FBV displaying the patch info from the Axe via the converter box. How cool!

But I still need a backup, so the idea of combined floorboard and back up is really appealing to me.

Looks like the switches on the Pd XT Live are plastic & cheapy. So I'm thinking either an XT Live (they sell used for $150-$200), or the new HD300 ($299 - a bit more than I want to spend, esp. since I hear the improvements over the X3 are minimal, and in some cases the HD300 is a step back from the X3 - specifically the HD300, not the 400 or 500).

I can program identical patch changes, etc. So if my main rig goes south, I can use the X3 live as a backup and still have the same patches, pedal presses, etc. Does the X3 Live have full customizable MIDI too? Can it do IA Switches? Is that programmable?

Right now I'm thinking stick w/ my Ground Control (and VG-88 for backup), or replace the Ground Control with either an X3 live or an HD300.

Thoughts?

hoss said:
Nope, MIDI features only on the 500

Yup. Figured that out overnight. :-( It seems like my only options are for the HD500 or the X3 Live or the XT Live, or some combination of the Mk II FBVs + a bean Pod X3.

Seeing as how the Bean X3 seems to be selling for MORE than the X3 Live on eBay, then add the cost of the FBV, the X3 seems like the way to go. And its only 40% of the cost of the HD500!

The biggest disadvantage, it seems, over other units like my DMC Ground Control is the in ability to address OTHER units. My understanding is it sends MIDI out, but what MIDI it sends out is not changable. So it's not like I could set it up to send patch change messages to say 3 different MIDI channels. I'm not sure if the HD500 has this capability or not, and I'm doubting that the FBVs have this capability (why would they need it if their purpose is just to control 1 other Line6 device?)

Hello!

I use a Pod XT live to control my AXE Ultra. I have to make some compromises but it works for me, and I have a backup unit.
HD500 has better midi implementation but there were bugs......
There is a firmware update to the HD500 (1.2). Does anybody knows if the midi bugs are gone, and everything works now as expected?
I think the biggest problem was a bug in the toe switch in the expression pedal....not changing correctly between volume and Wah.

Thank you

I also own and HD500, but have an Axe-Fx Standard incoming in a couple of days. I might have to look further into using it to control the functions on the Axe. hmmm.

Anybody else have any success?

I never tried it. As soon as I plugged in the Axe-Fx, there was no need to keep the HD. So I sold the HD.

my pod x3 live worked perfectly out of the box to control my elevenrack. All the midi CC's were already mapped. When I tried the x3 live with the new Ultra, none of the pedals were mapped, so it would take some tweaking to get the x3 live to work as a foot controller for the Ultra. I just bought the MFC-101 anyway, so if anyone wants to buy a "like new" pod x3 live, I have one. Is it cool to post ads here? If not, I apologize... Jeff

I guess an annoying part of this whole POD as a midi controller idea is that you can't run the POD off of phantom power, so you have to lug around that clunky brick everywhere.

Hey guys! Nice to meet you! First post here... Sorry for disturbing but Im brazilian and dont have many sources of info here for the axe fx 2...

I would REALLY appreciate your help in my set up...

I have a boss gt-100 as a midi controller for the axe fx 2. Basically for switching presets. Thats ok! My nightmare is when trying to use the wah and its footswitch to turn on and off the effect! Ive seen a video tutorial on that subject with the MFC and the mission sp-1 pedal (watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM). I could assign the exp pedal to control the wah block (Ext Crtl 1 = CC16). But only with the autoengage option. The exp pedal switch is acting like a momentary switch (Ext Crtl = CC17). Eventhough in the gt100 its set to toggle. I mean that I can assign it to turn the wah block on and of, but it doesnt stay on or off when I press it. It insist to be momentary... It sucks! I cant use my wah block with this set up. I dont like the autoengage... This is sad because I need to do the same thing for the whammy.... And also would like to use the exp pedal as a volume pedal plus wah or whammy together...

In my gt100 it works flawless. So I hope there is something in the axe fx 2 programing that Im not quite mastering...

Clearing things up...

what I cant do is to set the exp pedal switch to be set to on or off like you did with the mission sp-1 pedal on this video at 13:04

(watch?v=YVTDJGCmFdM)

Thanks very very much!

regards!

Back
Top Bottom