Line 6 POD GO at NAMM

So........, Line 6 finally stepping up to the 3rd base where Fractal already comfortably sits with the III, or Helix LT in a new shinier package?

No, a cut down LT for $499. They're going to rake it in at that price point, but I wonder if they also kneecapped their "flagships".

There's always a market for those who want more features. That's where Fractal lives. There is a big market for cheap small less powerful multi-FX units, where Mooer and Boss are competing to name a few. That market did not detract from Helix, so I reckon Line 6 now wants a piece of that action as well. It might detract from HD Stomp though.

On the flipside, unless they pull out another rabbit from the hat, it looks like both the Axe III and the older II still aren't facing competition from Line 6 or Kemper coming out with a product that can equal the II, let alone the III in DSP and performance.

I think it's pretty cool for anyone who wants nice sounds on the go without breaking the bank. Under 500 for a more then decent board is fairly priced, imho.

It doesn't seem to have the more complex routing of the HX models, which is probably why it's a pod and not a HX series device. So for the more traditional/less complex guys this will probably be more than fine as a "grab and go" solution. Probably aimed at the big P&W market in the US and the semi pro working his top40 gigs on weekends.

....On the flipside, unless they pull out another rabbit from the hat, it looks like both the Axe III and the older II still aren't facing competition from Line 6 or Kemper coming out with a product that can equal the II, let alone the III in DSP and performance.

I think it all comes down to the code more than the hardware. I haven't heard anything yet that quite competes with Fractal's code.

Having said that, just seems to me that every-year "competition" are beginning to make real-gains, some to the point of nipping at Fractal's heels.

Here's a Sobering thought.. With the advent of AI, how long will it take before AI can write code that can perfectly replicate amps, cabs, pedals - all musical instruments, in a morning's worth of number crunching?

Things are moving so quickly now with this modelling that it might not be too long before there is real competion for market-share, hereabouts.

Don’t think so. Amp modeling from the HD series, not the Helix.
From their FAQ:
If it has nearly all models from HX and Helix products, why call this a POD at all?
We wanted POD Go to be stupid easy-to-use, which meant purposefully omitting some power user features one would expect to find in HX or Helix-branded products. And not putting the best modeling possible in a box just because it happens to be less expensive is weak sauce.

Elsewhere in the FAQ they say that the only HX bits they left out were three effects and mono/stereo versions that don't fit the fixed routing they chose.

It sure sounds like it's a Helix with a stupid name....

Last edited:
This looks very cool... but I really dont want to go the Pod route again.Aare the tones on the Helix in another league (my last POD was an HD500)?

Hope the FM3 is available "soon"

Looks good at $449.99. I already had the idea of getting an Ampero/GE300 for those jamming sessions/bar gigs where I don't want to risk my AX8 or eventually, a FM3. This could be a better solution as it'll have the Helix Amps (Yeah, there's the HX stomp, but this seems better suited for live performance).

You just gotta love those folks at other forums whose posts starts with "Well... I'm not the target for this unit BUT why it doesn't have X or Y feature just like the BIG boys"... ha! 🙃

For me, most of the Line 6 stuff I bought, I've been disappointed in. It's been a few years since I've tried anything from them, so maybe I shouldn't judge. I like heavy distortion and I don't think that's their strong suit.

I think it all comes down to the code more than the hardware. I haven't heard anything yet that quite competes with Fractal's code.

Having said that, just seems to me that every-year "competition" are beginning to make real-gains, some to the point of nipping at Fractal's heels.

Well, they tried with Helix, but Helix is only at the level of the AX-8. Kemper has its own different market segment, and seem to be interested dick all in venturing outside of it. There is literally still nothing out there as good as the Axe II, let alone the III. Unless you mean sounds almost like a Fractal. I'm thinking in performance, number of FX you can run, DSP.

Here's a Sobering thought.. With the advent of AI, how long will it take before AI can write code that can perfectly replicate amps, cabs, pedals - all musical instruments, in a morning's worth of number crunching?

A very long long time? You'd first need to develop an AI that is quite human and thinks like one, because we are flawed creatures. We don't like perfection, that is why we crave the imperfections of analog tube and circuitry sound over digital perfection. So that AI would have to perceive and appreciate sounds like we do in order to replicate all those analog goodies that we love so much.

Things are moving so quickly now with this modelling that it might not be too long before there is real competion for market-share, hereabouts.

Depends on what you think is important, sound quality, DSP power to run long FX chains, rack vs. floor board, price. All those interact together and whatever you think is most important will decide for you. So far Line 6 seems quite content to leave the upper quality segment to Fractal and Fractal seems quite content to leave the budget modeler segment to Line 6 and others. And like I said, Kemper exists in its own market segment where its all about the profiling. Until Line 6 comes out with a really souped up and improved Helix 2 that is superior to the Axe II Fractal looks set to do fine. And I don't think Line 6 sees much value in catering to the upper quality market segment. This is the company that axed their own rack pro modelers of the DL/MM/FM-4 pedals because it didn't deem that market segment interesting enough.

Well, they tried with Helix, but Helix is only at the level of the AX-8. ....

Software catches-up with hardware, but the software is where the art resides in this biz. For software designers, it takes real-time and real-effort to make full-use of yesterday's hardware.. Seems like, more and more, that serious contenders writing modelling software are getting into this race. And those with bottomless operational budgets are in this race too. And they can move much faster, getting their products to market much more quickly as they can finance the development of products by throwing a crap-ton of resources at it.

Line6 .. "Helix 2", ...who knows what's coming next with that. ...But look at this new QC unit (just as an example), more companies are jumping into the fray while initially starting off at higher and higher rungs on that modelling ladder. They are doing their level-best to set new standards others must beat for that market-share. And for all that? We do get a lot more for our money these days..

Line6 - I'm sure, hasn't been sitting on their hands letting new developments in hardware pass them by. I'm almost equally as sure that they have been hammering away at the next-gen Helix code, too.. The ROI for constantly developing software drives that avenue of development. ...Couple that with massive budgets and how close The Helix is - Was - Years ago - to the AX8?

It's been years for them to put out any improved sounding product. This ?? ..moving Helix code into lesser units? ... I might not do that until I have a higher-tier product in the works - or at-least in mind, to replace the flagship.

Of course.. That'll happen.. When, is anybody's guess. But the greater the competition, the faster companies tend to move to compete. And there is more competition than ever driving improvement across the board..

..A very long long time? You'd first need to develop an AI that is quite human and thinks like one....

Read something (many years ago), that it had taken ??? ..thousands of years? ...to initially double our basis of technological knowledge.. They went on to say that, currently, the doubling of our basis of technological knowledge is occurring every?? ..two years? - Not sure of the exact numbers, but whatever those numbers were exactly, there was a Large gulf between the two. :0)

It was "doom and gloom piece", ..as these things usually are ..but, ..and it Might be that I'm getting older :0), BUT, it seems like that these days I'm constantly taken aback regarding just how fast there Are improvements in technology..

I can't keep up with how fast all things technological are moving anymore..

...Used to be able to wrap my head around all these technological advancements. Now, major leaps in technology are almost a constant thing.

With as how fast things are moving, I don't think it will be too long before - with luck, and a LOT of hard work, Fractal nails the code.. Creates software of So-Near Perfectly Modeled amplifiers and effects, that any human being couldn't tell the difference between the two. They are nearly there, now.

But, Yamaha Corp. Might decide to make that effort, too. And they can afford massive outlay to stay profitable. Saying as much, I wouldn't be surprised to see these MegaCorps invest in AI to fuel their future innovation. ..let's face it.. that's already happening. That ship has sailed! :0)

...Either way - whoever nails that ability to swiftly code that near-perfection in the modelling market, the others will catch-up in time. Then it comes down to how fast they can package that code and get it to market. And, unfortunately, it's more likely that the Big Boys will win that race.

I was thinking about Fractal the other day - the problems it has had with the compiler and such, and their frustration and the delays in the release of their latest product because of it.

All part of the struggle.

But large companies can just throw massive amounts of resources at a thing and overcome issues which hobble smaller companies more quickly.. These MegaCorps can move - pretty-much - as fast as they want. And there is a LOT of resources that larger companies can pull on to create and innovate in shorter periods of time. Including future-proofing with investment in - or at least renting time on, quarter-billion dollar super-computers.

..But ..anyway.. :0) ..My point - previously :0), was that things are moving very-quickly anymore with this modelling technology, and that there is more competition in the market which is driving swifter innovation - couple that with technological advances which are occurring so rapidly, and the ability for MegaCorps to clean-up whenever they feel like it.... it shouldn't be too long before the next greatest leap will occur in the modelling arena.

All the heavy lifting has been done.

...Now we got us a bunch of mostly, well financed genius tweakers all of them seeking perfection. And Somebody, I'm sure, will reach as close to perfection we can use, soon enough, for all of it.

Grab the popcorn, sit back, watch these guys compete and reap the rewards for all their hard work, is what I say! :0)

Software catches-up with hardware, but the software is where the art resides in this biz. For software designers, it takes real-time and real-effort to make full-use of yesterday's hardware.. Seems like, more and more, that serious contenders writing modelling software are getting into this race. And those with bottomless operational budgets are in this race too. And they can move much faster, getting their products to market much more quickly as they can finance the development of products by throwing a crap-ton of resources at it.

Line6 .. "Helix 2", ...who knows what's coming next with that. ...But look at this new QC unit (just as an example), more companies are jumping into the fray while initially starting off at higher and higher rungs on that modelling ladder. They are doing their level-best to set new standards others must beat for that market-share. And for all that? We do get a lot more for our money these days..

Line6 - I'm sure, hasn't been sitting on their hands letting new developments in hardware pass them by. I'm almost equally as sure that they have been hammering away at the next-gen Helix code, too.. The ROI for constantly developing software drives that avenue of development. ...Couple that with massive budgets and how close The Helix is - Was - Years ago - to the AX8?

It's been years for them to put out any improved sounding product. This ?? ..moving Helix code into lesser units? ... I might not do that until I have a higher-tier product in the works - or at-least in mind, to replace the flagship.

Of course.. That'll happen.. When, is anybody's guess. But the greater the competition, the faster companies tend to move to compete. And there is more competition than ever driving improvement across the board..

Read something (many years ago), that it had taken ??? ..thousands of years? ...to initially double our basis of technological knowledge.. They went on to say that, currently, the doubling of our basis of technological knowledge is occurring every?? ..two years? - Not sure of the exact numbers, but whatever those numbers were exactly, there was a Large gulf between the two. :0)

It was "doom and gloom piece", ..as these things usually are ..but, ..and it Might be that I'm getting older :0), BUT, it seems like that these days I'm constantly taken aback regarding just how fast there Are improvements in technology..

I can't keep up with how fast all things technological are moving anymore..

...Used to be able to wrap my head around all these technological advancements. Now, major leaps in technology are almost a constant thing.

With as how fast things are moving, I don't think it will be too long before - with luck, and a LOT of hard work, Fractal nails the code.. Creates software of So-Near Perfectly Modeled amplifiers and effects, that any human being couldn't tell the difference between the two. They are nearly there, now.

But, Yamaha Corp. Might decide to make that effort, too. And they can afford massive outlay to stay profitable. Saying as much, I wouldn't be surprised to see these MegaCorps invest in AI to fuel their future innovation. ..let's face it.. that's already happening. That ship has sailed! :0)

...Either way - whoever nails that ability to swiftly code that near-perfection in the modelling market, the others will catch-up in time. Then it comes down to how fast they can package that code and get it to market. And, unfortunately, it's more likely that the Big Boys will win that race.

I was thinking about Fractal the other day - the problems it has had with the compiler and such, and their frustration and the delays in the release of their latest product because of it.

All part of the struggle.

But large companies can just throw massive amounts of resources at a thing and overcome issues which hobble smaller companies more quickly.. These MegaCorps can move - pretty-much - as fast as they want. And there is a LOT of resources that larger companies can pull on to create and innovate in shorter periods of time. Including future-proofing with investment in - or at least renting time on, quarter-billion dollar super-computers.

..But ..anyway.. :0) ..My point - previously :0), was that things are moving very-quickly anymore with this modelling technology, and that there is more competition in the market which is driving swifter innovation - couple that with technological advances which are occurring so rapidly, and the ability for MegaCorps to clean-up whenever they feel like it.... it shouldn't be too long before the next greatest leap will occur in the modelling arena.

All the heavy lifting has been done.

...Now we got us a bunch of mostly, well financed genius tweakers all of them seeking perfection. And Somebody, I'm sure, will reach as close to perfection we can use, soon enough, for all of it.

Grab the popcorn, sit back, watch these guys compete and reap the rewards for all their hard work, is what I say! :0)

At this point now I think it’s safe to say the code’s been cracked well enough that the larger majority of people can’t tell the difference between an AxeFX and a tube amp. I’ve yet to see one blind test pop up where someone has gotten it right without admitting they were taking a guess with a 50% success rate. Maybe those playing through one that are expecting that physical thump from a tube amp, but through a PA or recordings, I’ve yet to see it happen for the last couple of years.

At this point now I think it’s safe to say the code’s been cracked well enough that the larger majority of people can’t tell the difference between an AxeFX and a tube amp. I’ve yet to see one blind test pop up where someone has gotten it right without admitting they were taking a guess with a 50% success rate. Maybe those playing through one that are expecting that physical thump from a tube amp, but through a PA or recordings, I’ve yet to see it happen for the last couple of years.

I'm with you.. .It's so close.

Back
Top Bottom