Line 6 G90 transmitter connection

We have several G50's and a G90 - in the band.

Just a few weeks ago one of the transmitters stopped holding the cable properly at the female end of the transmitter cable - when we looked inside we noticed that the plastic inner sleeve of the connection had broken apart and the cable was therefore unable to "lock" onto the transmitter.

As this particular unit was still under warranty we took it back to our dealer and he sent it back to Line 6 for a repair.

It came back yesterday - I was expecting it to be simply replaced with the same inner plastic sleeve....but when I looked at it I noticed that it was a new METAL inner sleeve!!.......so I think they have had a problem with these and have changed the spec of the transmitter so that it now has a metal female connector.......

I am now therefore wondering if I should be trying to send ALL of out other 5 transmitters back to Line 6 and ask them to sort them all out??

The original cable has been problematic for many, which is why there's a lot of people getting OEM cables like I did. I would contact Line6 and see what they will do; if you bought that many units, good chance they would hook you up.

The original cable has been problematic for many, which is why there's a lot of people getting OEM cables like I did. I would contact Line6 and see what they will do; if you bought that many units, good chance they would hook you up.

Like me - I don't think the OP has a problem with his cable (I bought some Shure ones) - its that connection at the transmitter end thats the problem with these - they are plastic inside and it seems they are loosening/breaking up...

I literally just ordered it last night after much research- the plastic connector is the only worry I have and was looking to Barney Fife it ("nip it in the bud") if possible.

Will contact L6 after it arrives this week and see if I can get it swapped out (unless, by some smiling god of fortune it comes with metal vs plastic- you would think they would have made the switch a while back with all the reported problems)...

So, any opinion on best cable? The Shures are inexpensive, but can't find a link to the Lava ones anywhere (and their site is no help). I also saw L6 offers upgrade cables, any opinions on these?

Yes, they have changed the connector to metal. I had to have mine serviced, and the replacement had a metal connector. I don't know how long ago they did it, but it should hold up much better.

Found a place to order metal TA4F connectors, bought a couple just in case (also if I can find a spare used TBF12 to convert). Apparently there's no soldering, and it's a pretty easy switch to make.

I literally just ordered it last night after much research- the plastic connector is the only worry I have and was looking to Barney Fife it ("nip it in the bud") if possible.

Will contact L6 after it arrives this week and see if I can get it swapped out (unless, by some smiling god of fortune it comes with metal vs plastic- you would think they would have made the switch a while back with all the reported problems)...

So, any opinion on best cable? The Shures are inexpensive, but can't find a link to the Lava ones anywhere (and their site is no help). I also saw L6 offers upgrade cables, any opinions on these?

Lava Cable - Wireless
It's on their site, lavacable.com, under 'Custom Store', 'Wireless'. I have a couple of them, most recently bought the 24" Mini ELC Wireless 1/4 to TA4F: BLUE CABLE

Thanks, musicman!

Just ordered a Mogami.

Anyone know the real dif between all the wireless cables they list?

Welcome! I don't know much about the differences, but did some Internet searches to get some understanding. They have some ranking info on the site:
Lava Cable - Custom Store Buying Guide
You can contact them for more info; don't know about their customer service, but my guess is that you'd receive a reply.

I've been very happy with mine and the sound using the cables w/my G90 have been perfect. I've only used Lava for these cables, but have been very happy. I like the color options, too. Got a right-angle for my MusicMan axe, and straight 1/4 for the Strat. Good luck.

That's where I ordered from (Full Compass). $10 is a lot better than $60 (that's what L6 charges to swap 'em out, plus shipping of course), and it's SUPPOSED to be easy to do. I will find out this week. :)

Why in the hell isn't L6 just using these metal parts in the first place? Especially after 2 years of breaks, warranty fixes and lots of public bitching. Kinda goofy, t'ain't it?

It's not too bad to swap out. I do believe you need a small torx bit. It uses spring loaded contacts so there's no soldering involved. Biggest thing is just being careful to get all the little pieces in the right place. I suggest a clean, organized work area and you'll be fine.

Here is a pic showing two Lava Mogomi + Neutrik cables I ordered years ago alongside the original L6 one . I ordered both a right angle and a straight plug for various guitars. They have been rock solid. Today, I would just make my own. It's not all that difficult.

g50stuff.jpg

Anyone found an alternate source for the replacement jack? Full Compass doesnt have any more in stock, saying 3-4 weeks out, but you know how that can go. One of my transmitter jacks is broken and is currently held together with super glue, so its only a matter of time. I use it as a spare, but still now that the metal ones are finally available, I'd like to fix it ASAP.

If you're having problems with the current jack and you're under warranty, try contacting Line 6. Maybe they'll cover it as a warranty repair. I doubt they'll just replace it free if you aren't having problems and just want the jack swapped, but if the plastic one broke, it's worth asking.

FC was the only place I found 'em, sorry- got mine in the post yesterday, only took three days after I ordered. May be worth ordering, as they could get 'em in sooner, and a few weeks isn't bad if you're not in a hurry. I'm sure it's still probably faster than sending it to L6 (and definitely cheaper)....

Back
Top Bottom