Limelight video

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Full tune version. This is our fill in drummer, 3rd time playing with him. He normally does death core type stuff, so not too bad. I rolled back the volume where it needed to be to keep it sounding big but give it some aspect of clarity where it needs to. Sound huge live with stereo RCF NX 12's!

You missed the point of the video......it features the Axe Fx II and it's incredible tone. Or did you just visit to talk smack?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. A few comments:
-If you're trying to "nail" his tone, I think you should dial the preamp gain a fair amount. It sounded like Limelight played with an 80's rock/metal patch.
-Very daring song to attempt indeed. I say that because of the solo section. My band and I tried that tune years ago and gave it up because we could never nail the feel during the solo. The parts where I remember starting to lose my timing is where it sounded like you were too. I'm not knocking you. It's just a tough tune and that solo section, because of the ambiguous timing, kicked my ass too.

cheers,
Steve

I noticed an abbreviated version of this on Search4Tone's Limelight patch thread. Is this using his patch?

+1 on the comment for the solo section. Tough indeed.

The universal dream....oh yeah, and a little polyrhythmic challenge too!

Thanks for sharing. A few comments:
-If you're trying to "nail" his tone, I think you should dial the preamp gain a fair amount. It sounded like Limelight played with an 80's rock/metal patch.
cheers,
Steve

Steve,

When you said: "...you should dial the preamp gain a fair amount," are we to assume that you meant "...you should dial-back the gain a fair amount" or maybe even "...you should try ro reduce the gain a fair amount." Based on the "80's rock/metal sound" comment, I assume you meant "less gain" NOT "more gain" needed?!?

Btw, fwiw, I totally agree with you (if you mean there should be LESS PRE-GAIN!) IMO, Alex's "Limelight" (studio/Moving Pictures LP recording) guitar-sound is VERY elusive in that he achieved a very thick, BUT NOT very distorted guitar-tone. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his rhythm-tracks on this song were (as nikki wisely pointed out elsewhere in these forums!) triple-tracked where two of the tracks were humbucker-equipped (like a Les Paul and a 335) and then one single-coil track (like his favorite "songwriting-Telecaster that he loves so much!) He would then blend that Tele in on mixdown just enough to bring out the note clarity/definition! Amp-wise, it sounds like perhaps a blend of mostly non-MV (HiWatts & Marshall plexis perhaps?) amps and/or MV-amps that were tracked "loud-as-hell" - lol!

cragginshred,

Kudos to you cragginshred for getting into a room with a couple of friends/bandmates and giving it your best shot! Your Axe-FX II sounds really good, but perhaps a few tweaks (as outlined above) would get a little closer to Alex's tone (if that's what you seek to achieve.) Btw, not bad for only having played it three times with that drummer. The solo-section alone would take most cover bands MONTHS to master! The more you listen to the original, you can hone in on the specifics of counting. What makes this guitar-solo section tricky IMO, is the fact that Alex and Geddy remain in 3/4 or 6/4 - depending on how you want to count it - FOR THE ENTIRE SOLO-SECTION -Whereas Neil starts out in triple-meter with Alex & Geddy, but he then switches to 4/4 - right when the guitar solo does that ascending/climbing picked-part. (Btw, I thought you played that part GREAT on guitar!) Anyways, Neil's switch to 4/4 there, with Alex & Geddy remaining in 3/4, is what creates the 3:4 ("three-against-four") polyrythm! The band Tool does this sort of thing quite frequently, but the most famous example of this type of polyrythm (although at a much different-tempo with a much different result) is probably "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin, where the main-riff is in 3/4 while John Bonham laid down that hypnotic and heavy 4/4 backbeat-groove (creating said 3:4 polyryhthm.)

But yeah, tonally I think guitarzzan's comment about trying "less pre-gain" is probably a really good idea. Maybe try to turn the Master Volume on your amp-model up quite a bit, but turn down the pre-gain a LOT! Also, to me, the original sounds like they might've even applied an opto-compressor to the original rhythm-guitar tracks to take the "edges" off a bit. Also, don't forget Scott Peterson's golden-rule about tweaking the Speaker-Tab in the Amp section of your Axe-FX II.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing...It brought back fond memories!!!

Bill

Thanks guys!. As with most folks tone is a work in progress. The volume knob is dialed way back which serves to clean up the signal to sound similar to the amount of gain Alex uses live(not on the recording, as mentioned in the other thread). I will try the amp suggestions too. Our bass player and fill in drummer are stretched beyond their comfort zones on this one for sure. The point was to have fun!

Back
Top Bottom