Lightweight Rig for Apartment & Skype Use

sanfender

Hi all, I'd love some expert advice on the following. I found bits and pieces via searching older posts, but thought it might help others as well to pull info together in one place.

Current Axe-FX II Setup
Axe-FX II + Mesa 2x12 cab + Matrix power amp

Situation
My guitar sanctuary is being replaced by a nursery. So...I'm temporarily getting rid of all my gear, cabs, amp heads, etc. and need to create the ultimate low-profile, lightweight rig solely using the Axe-FX II running into my Mac.

My use: pure hobbyist. Not looking for the absolute best tone and setup possible. Just need something that's quite good.

Here's What I'm Thinking
  • Axe-FX II
  • My Mac desktop
  • No speakers or external monitors
  • No power amp
  • Quality headphones (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT-250 80 ohm) with my headphone amp
  • Basic mixer for levels (e.g. Behringer MicroMIX MX 400 4 channel line)
Questions
  1. Am I missing something or would the above work for my intended purpose?
  2. Skype: I take Skype guitar lessons and want to ensure that I can hear my instructor's audio via headphones and ensure my instructor can hear my guitar --> Axe-FX II sound on his end. The key is that my setup must be totally silent -- i.e. can't be making audible noise given will have a sleeping baby.
Thanks so much!

Spend some time auditioning headphones. They will - by definition - be the weak link in any silent rig.

I'm never heard the DT250s and am NOT saying there's anything at all wrong with them. I AM saying that your choice of headphones will make the biggest difference in how happy you'll be with this rig, so choose them with care.

Situation
My guitar sanctuary is being replaced by a nursery.

I laught that loud I woke up my 7 months old daughter who woke up my 3 years old daughter... Ah la belle vie !

And the AX8 is a nice small rig as well (great to have footswitches for the looper)!

Lol ... who wants to start a company with me making earplugs for newborns?!

Thank you all for the replies. I'll proceed and report back with my experience pros/cons in case others may be interested.

Back
Top Bottom