Life can be quite amazing

Not many people know this about me, but when I was 5, my right index/pointer, middle, and ring finger were severed

If it wasn't for laser technology that micro surgeons just invented that year that I was able to keep my fingers at all.

It took years and years of physical therapy and work to get my fingers to move, and then more to relearn how to get control of the new neurons.

I don't tell people because they often pity, when the last thing I want is someone to feel "bad" for me because of it.

I am lucky - I was able to eventually, using the piano as my main therapy tool, to regain control of my fingers although I need constant pain management and rehabilitation, and I often can't even hold a pick during the winter, unless I use my pinky and thumb, but then I cramp which is painful

I say that to say this - its been a very hard year for everyone, but don't give up, if someone you love lost, don't lose hope, if someone is ill, don't lose hope, my mom is dying, and it made me want to post this to say, even when I was told I would never be able to write again, let alone keep my fingers attached, I kept going and going and I became a virtuoso......

There are many better examples of many better men than me and this but I thought some people might find it helpful to know, even when things look impossible, there's always a chance, but you must keep hope alive within your hearts and minds, and do the work to persevere - in the end, no matter what, you'll know you did as best as you could while you had the chance and the abilities/tools to do it, and with that, you'll never regret anything you do

Good bless you all and stay heathy

It's really admirable that you went through that struggle, while eschewing the sympathy of others.

If I recall correctly, a similar incident is what caused James Schaffer of Korn to take up guitar.

Thanks brother. You know, when you are disabled and its something noticeable, it can really alter your self-perception, and by extension the way others perceive you. I found when I was introduced as "Chris....and guys be careful with his hand because....etc..." and then not only did I sense what I could call 'shameful' pity (even though its not, its legitimate, I mean who wouldn't feel bad for a 5 year old whose fingers were cut off, you know? I get that), and I would probably feel the same way protective way towards my kid, god forbid anything like that were to hypothetically happen, (god forbid and knock on wood). But, even now I feel like im taking a little of a limelight, even though its not at all what I was intending. Point being, I didnt want it to continue to affect who I was to become - so while it was very painful for the first year, I listened to my parents (who told me "if you don't want to be known as the boy with no fingers, you have to practice") and so I did. and they were right.

Technically, I am disabled, still because there are times when I cannot use my three fingers (neurological spasms and what not), but that did not stop my love for music, though it changed from piano to guitar when I hit my teens lol, and part of it was because I pick with my right so, since you mention James Schaffer, who really made me continue was Django Reinhardt because it was sort of the opposite of my situation (meaning opposite hand deformation), and I said if he could do it, I can do it man. So not to sound like I wanted any praise, but I really just wanted to be, as it seems im somewhat successful in that endeavor, to help inspire others here who might be having a hard time lately, being stuck inside with covid and all.

im a very humble man, and like I said, im nothing besides a loving father, husband, and son. I happen to be an adj. prof. of literature, a martial arts "master" (though I admittedly feel silly saying it, but again its online, so its not like im really bragging to anyone since im really no one lol, if you get my meaning ), and a shred-head, so don't forget what matters to you, what really makes you who you are, and whether or not others recognize you for that, or whether they are even aware of it or not, it doesn't matter - just commit yourself to positivity and even if things don't go as planned, you will have no regrets - I guess thats all I wanted to express considering how things have been going lately

Anyway, thanks for your positive replies and I really hope this does inspire positivity in your lives, as this forum has been very helpful and very good to me. just my small way of giving back to our community today - God/dess bless you all!

Thanks brother. You know, when you are disabled and its something noticeable, it can really alter your self-perception, and by extension the way others perceive you. I found when I was introduced as "Chris....and guys be careful with his hand because....etc..." and then not only did I sense what I could call 'shameful' pity (even though its not, its legitimate, I mean who wouldn't feel bad for a 5 year old whose fingers were cut off, you know? I get that), and I would probably feel the same way protective way towards my kid, god forbid anything like that were to hypothetically happen, (god forbid and knock on wood). But, even now I feel like im taking a little of a limelight, even though its not at all what I was intending. Point being, I didnt want it to continue to affect who I was to become - so while it was very painful for the first year, I listened to my parents (who told me "if you don't want to be known as the boy with no fingers, you have to practice") and so I did. and they were right.

Technically, I am disabled, still because there are times when I cannot use my three fingers (neurological spasms and what not), but that did not stop my love for music, though it changed from piano to guitar when I hit my teens lol, and part of it was because I pick with my right so, since you mention James Schaffer, who really made me continue was Django Reinhardt because it was sort of the opposite of my situation (meaning opposite hand deformation), and I said if he could do it, I can do it man. So not to sound like I wanted any praise, but I really just wanted to be, as it seems im somewhat successful in that endeavor, to help inspire others here who might be having a hard time lately, being stuck inside with covid and all.

im a very humble man, and like I said, im nothing besides a loving father, husband, and son. I happen to be an adj. prof. of literature, a martial arts "master" (though I admittedly feel silly saying it, but again its online, so its not like im really bragging to anyone since im really no one lol, if you get my meaning ), and a shred-head, so don't forget what matters to you, what really makes you who you are, and whether or not others recognize you for that, or whether they are even aware of it or not, it doesn't matter - just commit yourself to positivity and even if things don't go as planned, you will have no regrets - I guess thats all I wanted to express considering how things have been going lately

Anyway, thanks for your positive replies and I really hope this does inspire positivity in your lives, as this forum has been very helpful and very good to me. just my small way of giving back to our community today - God/dess bless you all!

Come to think of it, you remind me of one of my fraternity brothers. He was in an accident at a very young age, which resulted in an amputated left leg and a severely deformed left hand. Dude was absolutely fearless, and none of us treated him any differently than a "normal" person. A lot of that was due to his personality and particularly his sense of humor. We were a very diverse group of guys. And frequently he would hold up his prosthetic proclaiming, "I'm blacker than you'll every be!" (prosthetic socket was pitch black). Which always got us howling with laughter.

He played guitar, and his philosophy was, "I can't play it like everyone else, so I adapt."

Come to think of it, you remind me of one of my fraternity brothers. He was in an accident at a very young age, which resulted in an amputated left leg and a severely deformed left hand. Dude was absolutely fearless, and none of us treated him any differently than a "normal" person. A lot of that was due to his personality and particularly his sense of humor. We were a very diverse group of guys. And frequently he would hold up his prosthetic proclaiming, "I'm blacker than you'll every be!" (prosthetic socket was pitch black). Which always got us howling with laughter.

He played guitar, and his philosophy was, "I can't play it like everyone else, so I adapt."
That sounds almost exactly like my sense of very cynically self-deprecating humor I often employed to cut the tension! lol

Thank you for adding to this thread, I am enjoying your responses more than you can imagine!

Good inspiration. Never quit.

I had a friend. He was born without the use of his legs. He excelled in several things, including racing with expensive wheelchairs and was extremely strong due to his prodigious weightlifting. (God forbid anyone tried to wrestle with the man...you ended up a pretzel in 14 seconds.). He raced in the olympics, and won very many races 'in the wild'. In a weird coincidence, even as we had gone to college together in Albuquerque, but years had passed, and a time in Atlanta I happened upon him after the Peachtree Road race. Drinks ensued.

Later, I attended his wedding. His humor and ease made it he most entertaining wedding I have ever attended. He dabbled in stand up comedy, yet continued to race.

One day while training, he passed through a T section on the road. On the short way, a dump truck lost its brakes. In that way the world is cruel, the truck hit a semi going across. My friend just happened to be on the other side of that semi. The 2 vehicles rolled him into a ditch with them on top.

We did our best to make his funeral a raucous affair...and it largely worked even in that sad time. A good man. He was a testament to how no matter what 'disabilities' life throws at you, it can not hold you back.

I don't know why your post made me think of that, but it did. Thank you for your story.

R

Wow
Good inspiration. Never quit.

I had a friend. He was born without the use of his legs. He excelled in several things, including racing with expensive wheelchairs and was extremely strong due to his prodigious weightlifting. (God forbid anyone tried to wrestle with the man...you ended up a pretzel in 14 seconds.). He raced in the olympics, and won very many races 'in the wild'. In a weird coincidence, even as we had gone to college together in Albuquerque, but years had passed, and a time in Atlanta I happened upon him after the Peachtree Road race. Drinks ensued.

Later, I attended his wedding. His humor and ease made it he most entertaining wedding I have ever attended. He dabbled in stand up comedy, yet continued to race.

One day while training, he passed through a T section on the road. On the short way, a dump truck lost its brakes. In that way the world is cruel, the truck hit a semi going across. My friend just happened to be on the other side of that semi. The 2 vehicles rolled him into a ditch with them on top.

We did our best to make his funeral a raucous affair...and it largely worked even in that sad time. A good man. He was a testament to how no matter what 'disabilities' life throws at you, it can not hold you back.

I don't know why your post made me think of that, but it did. Thank you for your story.

R
that is quite a moving story; I thank YOU for sharing such an intimate but important story to tell

you seem like a good man R
Chris

Back
Top Bottom