Levels in the Output Block

bikertrash

Inspired
Hey, since we got the nifty new pull down window for output levels, I thought this might be a good time to ask something I've wondered since I got my FX3. I know on your guitar input, the manual says you can kiss the red every once in a while. Does this apply on the output block? Do you guys keep your meters well under the red? Is the red digital clipping? Db, dbu, dbvm all of that stuff confuses me sometimes.

I treat it the same way. However I don’t think it hurts to go over a little... tickle me red!

The in unit meters turn red above 0dB, but "digital clipping" is nearly impossible inside the Axe to my knowledge (beyond blocks which are designed to clip, like drives and amps, etc). Your reording DAW can also handle individual tracks with signal above 0dB usually.

Things only clip if they're still too loud on the way in or out of the ADC/DAC (Not a bad name for a synth AC/DC cover band...) on the way in or out. But unless your output knob is cranked and the actual output LEDs are going red I don't think it'll be clipping, even if it's "red" inside the axe.

So I usually aim for my sounds to hover somewhere around 0, maybe jumping to +3db on palm mute chugs, but don't usually have to turn my output knob must beyond 1-2 O'Clock.

I treat it the same way. However I don’t think it hurts to go over a little... tickle me red!
The in unit meters turn red above 0dB, but "digital clipping" is nearly impossible inside the Axe to my knowledge (beyond blocks which are designed to clip, like drives and amps, etc). Your reording DAW can also handle individual tracks with signal above 0dB usually.

Things only clip if they're still too loud on the way in or out of the ADC/DAC (Not a bad name for a synth AC/DC cover band...) on the way in or out. But unless your output knob is cranked and the actual output LEDs are going red I don't think it'll be clipping, even if it's "red" inside the axe.

So I usually aim for my sounds to hover somewhere around 0, maybe jumping to +3db on palm mute chugs, but don't usually have to turn my output knob must beyond 1-2 O'Clock.

Good to hear on both. That's generally what I have been shooting for too. Just a little under with the occasional chug going a bit over. Come to think of it, I am using mostly high gain amps, not mixing a symphony recording. Not sure I would ever hear any clipping.

Back
Top Bottom