Let's see those FM3 rigs!

To all with an angled power cord:
Are you using S/PDIF, and if so, how?
The blocking of the S/PDIF port defeated the purpose of the angled power cord to me.

The blocking of the S/PDIF port defeated the purpose of the angled power cord to me.
I do not use S/PDIF but you can buy different adapters with angled power cord left or right side ;)

I do not use S/PDIF but you can buy different adapters with angled power cord left or right side ;)
I know, I know... I actually had one power cord directing to the ground ;) - but this just made the rig higher than necessary.
Problem is, everything must fit in a small bag, so only FM3 and EV2 are working. Attaching an angled cord in the other direction would either mirror my setup, or the cable will stand out on the left side - both not an option.

For me, I would only ever use S/PDIF at home in my studio, not at a gig or rehearsal. So I'd just power it with a different cable.

Here's what I have right now. I'm sure I'll redo it at some point or at least make it a bit more tidy, but so far I think it's pretty functional.

A few mods I made that might be of interest, are:
  • I like the VPJr for the throw and feel, so I swapped out the pot there for 10K ones and converted them to expression pedals.
  • The Shure wireless is powered via the faslink as I see several others are doing.
  • The pedalboard itself is an upside down Pedaltrain classic 2 that I had lying around. I prefer the flatter layout and the "riser" kind of functions as a protective rail + convenient handgrip now. This layout also makes for a lower profile board to pack.
  • Added a little angled extension cord for the headphone jack since the rail is in the way X-D

PXL_20201008_201917155.jpg
PXL_20201008_201909172.jpgPXL_20201008_201852896.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0443.JPG

Here's mime with GR-55, a little acoustic preamp, EA pedalboard Mixer and MC6 (scene selector).
Dual Switch ( Stand-in ) selects Utilty and/or Amp Control( CS2) etc. of AustinBuddy's Layouts.

Last edited:
My current live setup:

MX-12 3x4 & FM3 - Prins P@rik.jpg

SAM_9045.JPG

SAM_9039.JPG

SAM_9040.JPG

SAM_9041.JPG

FM3
MX-12 3x4
Mission Engineering SP-1
Roland EV-5
Xvive U2 wireless

Notice that all is powered by one power cable.
MX gets power (and Midi IN/OUT) from the FM3 using a VF-cable
MX is customized. The Midi Out component is not soldered (this is not needed since all Midi In and Out data is going thru the V-link). This gap is used to connect a USB-cable to 5V on the MX motherboard. This USB-cable has a female USB-A connector. On the connector I can easily connect any normal USB-cable. The Xvive U2 is connected this way to get power.

Editor.jpg

Setup:

MX-12
Button 1-5: Presets from clean to mean. Press-and-hold gives me another 5 presets.
Button 6: Chorus / Tremolo (press-and-hold). When tremolo is used, SP-1 controls speed.
Button 7: Drive
Button 8: Delay
Button 9: Toggle between Scene 5/1. Scene 5 is a Plex Delay, Delay channel C and Reverb channel D.
Press-and-hold: Toggle between AMP1 ch A+CAB1 ch A and AMP1 ch D + CAB1 ch D.
Button 10: Phaser/Flanger (press-and-hold).
Chorus/Tremolo/Phaser/Flanger are all in one group, which means that only one can be active. All other will be set to OFF.
Button 11: Drive Channel Select (next channel: A=green - B=red - C=Blue - D=purple).
Press-and-hold: Pitch. When Pitch is used, SP-1 controls pitch (whammy).
Button 12: Delay Channel Select (next channel: A=green - B=red - C=Blue - D=purple).
Press-and-hold: Page B (bank up/down, amp1+cab1 A/B/C/D, looper functions).

FM3
Button 1 & 2: Toggle between Scene 1/2 & 3/4
Button 3: Tempo and Tuner (press-and-hold)

Mission Engineering SP-1
Connected to MX-12 EXP1 & 2.
EXP1: Wah frequency.
EXP2: Switch between Wah and Vol. In case of Volume, then EXP1 = Volume
If Tremolo (Button 6) or Pitch (Button 11) are selected on the MX-12, EXP1 will control Speed/Pitch.

Roland EV-5
Connected to the FM3.
Used to go from a rhythm to a solo sound. External Modifiers on
Amp1 - Input Boost
Amp1 - Boost Level
Delay2 - Input Gain
Delay1 - Input Gain (from max to min)
Mix1 to mix between PEQ1 (rhythm) and PEQ2 (solo with +3dB)

FM3 Editor.jpg

SAM_9047.JPG

SAM_9048.JPG
Warwick Keyboard Bag

Last edited:
My current setup.

Home made pedal board, from a leftover ikea shelf, stained, power brick held down with bicycle chain links, the drop and freqout with 3m dual lock.

Just got the airstep, waiting for a midi cable should be in by tomorrow or so. I like that the board is seperate from the FM3, that way depending on the gig I can lug just the FM3 if I don't need the extra outboard pedals/controller.

I'm still dreaming of the day when I won't need pedals anymore fingers crossed for future FM3 updates that have a killer usable virtual capo to downtune with, and a freqout-similar function!

Sorry for the blinding lights!

fm3setup oct 2020.jpg

Last edited:
a happy FM3 user here,

"shoe box & socks" for my FM3:
i remember my grand mother covering his big "valuable & expensive TV" in the old days...

i got a cover : "Custom padded cover for Fractal Audio FM3 Amp Modeler" from amp_covers (Custom Amp Covers www.ampcovers.org )
) on ebay it's 34$ / 30€ plus shipping, they are very good quality, i just asked them to make me a FC12. i already got some cover heavy hifi amps.

and a Peli (Pelicase/Pelican) 1450 (it's tight ... but small) as a shoe box carrier.

Attachments

• IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3345.JPG
    IMG_3345.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 136
This is an update to my prior post in this thread.

I love the FM3 so much I did the Leon Todd thing, a NUX Large Bumblebee board, secured on the 4 "feet" by double-lock. I added the smaller Fractal expression pedal and built a small two button switch that I put up and out of the way of the expression pedal. It's like the NUX board was built for this unit. The buttons on the custom switch control preset up/down and holding the right one turns on the tuner. Running in scenes mode, I use the FM3 buttons for clean, rhythm, and lead, then use the 2 button switch for changing rigs (JP2C, EVH, Recto, and Friedman models, mainly). I turn the power amp sims off if I'm running through the power section of a tube amp, or I keep them on if I'm running through a Powerstage 170. That's all well and good, but mainly the FM3 sits on my desk like the first picture below where I have it hooked into my interface via SPDIF.

This is by far the best FX and modeling unit I've ever played. Hopefully once the pandemic ends, I can get back to playing live again and can use this rig basically in a backpack as my main rehearsal and live performance rig.

View attachment 72461View attachment 72462

Question: are you able to control the amp switching of the JP-2C as well via the FM3? I was under the impression that this could only be achieved by an external midi controller?

Back
Top Bottom