Let's see those FM3 rigs!

Here's my preliminary setup with my Nektar Pacer midi board acting as additional switches and as a dynamicly assigned expression pedal controller (honestly feel this is something that should be built into scenes).

I have a Pacer and used it with the III before the FC-6 was released. Worked well. I now use it to trigger keyboard chords from MainStage.

It’s the duo 24 and it all fits fine on the soft case.
View attachment 71978Board.jpg

I purchased the Duo 24, too as it will fit perfect for my gear (I used the great pedalplanner from Temple Audio to create the graphic).
Yesterday the Trio 21 arrived with UPS which I wanted to use.

BUT: I thought that Temple Audio states the USEABLE width of every board.

The sidepanels with the handles decrease the width by 3,4 cm at all so that it was not big enough.

Last edited:
Got the FM3 10 days ago. Here"s a few pics and a little rig rundown.

D5007D35-0801-43DC-9DDF-A69A912A5B51.jpegBA277400-D2AD-442B-87CB-264750CB4DEF.jpegF3E4247B-2C1C-4A7B-976A-567E36B1419C.jpeg26657AD1-BFFE-42E0-8F68-EA7AF6FB7472.jpeg24325AE2-A2B6-44AA-BDD0-208B17678B56.jpeg
There's a power supply under the FM3 and will add a ''loopy'' clone I'm currently building ( little device that turns the ''function switches'' of the Mastermind into a 2 loop switcher ).

I really wanted to get a FC6 but ended up keeping the Mastermind Lt. Basically sacrificing the individual screens for a smaller foot print + adding 2 loops.

The Eq will most probably leave the board sooner than later. Just switched to Ir's for my acoustic guitar ( thx @Iaresse for this one ) and I'm still getting used to this set-up in a live context so having the EQ readily available and especially the Notch is sort of a safety net. Hopefully a Perform Tab will be added in the upcoming firmwares.

The poweramp is there as an option ( I still enjoy real cabs ) but I mostly work with FRFR ( IEM or CLR ) The wireless will alternate with it when full band shows starts again.

There's a USB port added to the side of the board to connect the Mastermind to a computer.

The board measures 21” x 16.5”. ( It could actually fit 20 x 15 if I had too ). As for the case, there were 2 contenders. Templeboards Trio 21 or the Gator 2118. I own the Trio 28 so I decided to give the gator a try and see. It's a bit more padded than the Templeboards but the Templeboard would have been a bit more snug.

The board is just a piece of wood I got at Home Depot for like 10$. Including the USB connector, a can of spray paint, and a few '' L'' bracketts to mount the side rests for the FM3, total cost was roughly 35$

Pedaltrain Classic Jr with a voodoo lab pedal power 2 below. BTPA patch panel on front with powercon going to the pedal power and neutrik pass thrus for main XLRs. It was a real squish to get everything on the board and the board still fit in the tour case. Especially when this board came with BTPA’s higher feet, which made it impossible to fit with the FM3. Thankfully I had some slightly shorter amp cab feet from a 5150 2x12 that fit.

up until this, i always had my ax8 on a classic 2 for the last 4 years. I wanted to try to go smaller as the FM3 and FC6 took up the entire classic 2 and i had to put the wireless up above in a kinda weird way, also ditching the expression pedal that i dont use all that often but. I still have the fc6 and i had ordered a 28" long custom board to fit it and everything else but i really didnt like the idea of going bigger and carrying something heavier considering when a pandemic isnt going on, i usually play 4-5 times a week. 07414851-DC5B-427E-A12F-1C4D4A39BA05.jpeg5854ED94-2B02-454F-B5D9-DC9F6C5674B9.jpegB394CD72-77C8-491A-A99C-5B2E27560834.jpeg

Last edited:
Pedaltrain Classic Jr with a voodoo lab pedal power 2 below. BTPA patch panel on front with powercon going to the pedal power and neutrik pass thrus for main XLRs. It was a real squish to get everything on the board and the board still fit in the tour case. Especially when this board came with BTPA’s higher feet, which made it impossible to fit with the FM3. Thankfully I had some slightly shorter amp cab feet from a 5150 2x12 that fit.

up until this, i always had my ax8 on a classic 2 for the last 4 years. I wanted to try to go smaller as the FM3 and FC6 took up the entire classic 2 and i had to put the wireless up above in a kinda weird way, also ditching the expression pedal that i dont use all that often but. I still have the fc6 and i had ordered a 28" long custom board to fit it and everything else but i really didnt like the idea of going bigger and carrying something heavier considering when a pandemic isnt going on, i usually play 4-5 times a week. View attachment 72251View attachment 72252View attachment 72253
Great looking board! Love the jacks on the back and they make set up a breeze. I cant seem to find a board for what Im trying to do so breaking out the scrap wood and tools soon. lol

Hi,
Temple audio Design - DUO17 (added the 4 bay patch to side, couldn't get the mini power module, not in stock for 8 weeks on Thomann)
FM3 - screwed on with M3.5 * 20
Line 6 G70 Relay - stuck using temple audio medium plate
Dunlop - mini - stuck using temple audio medium plate
voodoo power underneath (powers FM3, G70, and the LED's)
LED's - temple Audio for DUO17

Very tidy and only 2 leads needed (power and output) - have Out1 (L & R) and In2 - Left, Out2 - Left wired to the 4 patch

Loving the unit so far - presets excellent with minor tweaks needed.
Previously had Axe-FX II and currently have the AX8 (AX8 and 2 missions SP-1's now for sale! :) )

thanks for all the valuable knowledge shared on this forum.

hope these pics load!

20200904_210256.jpg20200904_210306.jpg20200904_210330.jpg

how did this work out? is Your FM3 mounted to a board

It fits perfectly inside with room to spare on the side. The case comes with layers of perforated foam, so you can remove it to customize your fit. It's not mounted but it could fit with a board, if you had a board that was the right size. I tried fitting my Temple 17 but it's JUST too small, like millimeters too small

By far the best value for an FM3 case IMO

image.jpg

Last edited:
No problem & good luck building your Dream FM3 board. The FM3 is just an amazing piece of gear & while I still have my AX8......I’m only keeping it until I finish copying all the song based presets I created over to the FM3.
View attachment 71758
The Mono board is very cool & I used the 3m system to attach the FM3 to it.
View attachment 71762
View attachment 71763
View attachment 71764
Just a little insight into this board & set-up. I hadn’t originally planned to put the G10S wireless unit on top of the board, but it’s worked out very well.

oh dude, that’s clever with the zip ties!

Yesterday I mounted the FM 3 onto my Temple Audio Duo 24 with the recommended M 3.5 16mm screws.
Photos of the completed board will follow after my birthday at the beginning of october as I will receive the last missing part for the board as a gift.
It fitted perfectly, thanks for the hints :)

The original screw on the input jacks side is a little bit shorter as the mainboard is on that side so I decided to put two rings (don`t know the english word for it, sorry but see the attached photo ;)) between to make sure that the screw will not hit the mainboard.

Most of you said that 16mm is ideal for ALL screws including the input jacks side?
Are you really sure about that?

Greetings from sunny Germany :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_2134.JPG
    DSC_2134.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
Yesterday I mounted the FM 3 onto my Temple Audio Duo 24 with the recommended M 3.5 16mm screws.
Photos of the completed board will follow after my birthday at the beginning of october as I will receive the last missing part for the board as a gift.
It fitted perfectly, thanks for the hints :)

The original screw on the input jacks side is a little bit shorter as the mainboard is on that side so I decided to put two rings (don`t know the english word for it, sorry but see the attached photo ;)) between to make sure that the screw will not hit the mainboard.

Most of you said that 16mm is ideal for ALL screws including the input jacks side?
Are you really sure about that?

Greetings from sunny Germany :cool:
Can’t help with the screw length, but the word you’re looking for is ‘washer’ :)

Can’t help with the screw length, but the word you’re looking for is ‘washer’ :)
In german, this sounds like a guy cleaning stuff with a sponge in a bubble bath full of joy^^

@MrCrossroads83 :
Yeah, I don't think they will fit everywhere. As I was trying to mount my FM3 on a (custom build) board, I ended up milling different depths in the wood. @X-Mann used a system he called "3M" for mounting (I know something similar for cable management), and to be honest, I think that is the better solution :)

At the end of the day, I dropped my board, since it was always a hassle putting it into my bicycle bag because of the height of all.

In german, this sounds like a guy cleaning stuff with a sponge in a bubble bath full of joy^^

@MrCrossroads83 :
Yeah, I don't think they will fit everywhere. As I was trying to mount my FM3 on a (custom build) board, I ended up milling different depths in the wood. @X-Mann used a system he called "3M" for mounting (I know something similar for cable management), and to be honest, I think that is the better solution :)

At the end of the day, I dropped my board, since it was always a hassle putting it into my bicycle bag because of the height of all.
I had the same in mind when I think of "washer" in german language, seems like a "false friend" :D
I tried it with the M 3.5. screws and when I used two washers it connected to the FM 3 through the Temple Audio board.
So the length of the new screw should not be longer than the factory screw.

This is an update to my prior post in this thread.

I love the FM3 so much I did the Leon Todd thing, a NUX Large Bumblebee board, secured on the 4 "feet" by double-lock. I added the smaller Fractal expression pedal and built a small two button switch that I put up and out of the way of the expression pedal. It's like the NUX board was built for this unit. The buttons on the custom switch control preset up/down and holding the right one turns on the tuner. Running in scenes mode, I use the FM3 buttons for clean, rhythm, and lead, then use the 2 button switch for changing rigs (JP2C, EVH, Recto, and Friedman models, mainly). I turn the power amp sims off if I'm running through the power section of a tube amp, or I keep them on if I'm running through a Powerstage 170. That's all well and good, but mainly the FM3 sits on my desk like the first picture below where I have it hooked into my interface via SPDIF.

This is by far the best FX and modeling unit I've ever played. Hopefully once the pandemic ends, I can get back to playing live again and can use this rig basically in a backpack as my main rehearsal and live performance rig.

20200829_134453.jpg20200829_134605.jpg

Last edited:
This is an update to my prior post in this thread.

I love the FM3 so much I did the Leon Todd thing, a NUX Large Bumblebee board, secured on the 4 "feet" by double-lock. I added the smaller Fractal expression pedal and built a small two button switch that I put up and out of the way of the expression pedal. It's like the NUX board was built for this unit. The buttons on the custom switch control preset up/down and holding the right one turns on the tuner. Running in scenes mode, I use the FM3 buttons for clean, rhythm, and lead, then use the 2 button switch for changing rigs (JP2C, EVH, Recto, and Friedman models, mainly). I turn the power amp sims off if I'm running through the power section of a tube amp, or I keep them on if I'm running through a Powerstage 170. That's all well and good, but mainly the FM3 sits on my desk like the first picture below where I have it hooked into my interface via SPDIF.

This is by far the best FX and modeling unit I've ever played. Hopefully once the pandemic ends, I can get back to playing live again and can use this rig basically in a backpack as my main rehearsal and live performance rig.

View attachment 72461View attachment 72462
This question might have been already answered but where do I get these great plexi glas for the FM 3?
Really great idea and it also looks great :)

The screen protectors were from Ceba, and I think this guy is active on this forum. The forum is not letting me post his link, so just do a google search for Ceba FM3 screen protector and you'll find him.

Back
Top Bottom