Let's see those FM3 rigs!

May I ask which Temple Audio pedalboard you are using?
I am interested in buying the Duo 17 or the Trio 21.
And does someone know if the softcase from Temple Audio fits when the FM 3 is mounted on one of their pedalboards?

The Temple boards do fit in their cases with the FM3 mounted on them. I don't have one for my duo 17 but I do for my duo 34 and that fits no problem with my FC12 board and that's mounted slightly different to the way I have the FM3 mounted. I'm using zen rigs uni riser for that one and it sits about 10mm higher than it usually would but it still fits in the case no problem.

I did switch to the Mono bags like Tim and they offer more protection compared to the Temple Audio ones.

Had a bit of an issue with a couple of patch connector tails last night they have to be sent back and remade they are unfortunately not working properly so will have to now wait till next week now before I can wire everything up.

If available,would be the scheme how to code 6 buttons via midi PC command most informative value to those who seek smaller footprint and real estate without employing bulky FC6. Please share your esteemed knowledge.thanks!

I wanted this rig to be as compact as possible.

Couldnt find an 18x10 board so I took two Pedaltrain Nano Plus’s and 3M double sided taped them together.

Then used Dual Lock and two paint stirrers to mount the FM3.

Dual Locked the Ritter SHP and the Shure wireless to that.

Next to fit it all in a Pelican 1535.
778A88E5-B7A7-4E81-A9FF-812884F685FD.jpeg4020709F-F779-4373-A471-9C3D03C0C190.jpeg

Very much enjoying using the Marshall Origin 50 just as a valve power amp, going straight into the FX return using 2CM. Although this pic shows me messing with 4CM that's not what I'm doing at rehearsal or gigs.

Sounds fantastic - the Origin is loud and has plenty of clean headroom, and with the places we play I'm not pushing the master beyond 10 o'clock so there is no power tube breakup getting in the way. No doubt it does colour the sound, but if so it's in a way I really like. Currently using Austin Buddy's Live Gold JMP-1 OD-2 preset as my base (I cannot recommend that pack enough, for those who have struggled to get good sounds at volume). It just sounds killer, and looks rock n roll.

The angle of the pic emphasizes that the head is slightly oversized. I do have a 1960 TV cab which I use for gigs.

I still have my AX8, but I've really noticed that with the Aries modelling through this setup I just cannot tell any difference in feel between this and using the actual Marshall amps. With the AX8, I used to think "that is excellent for a modelling product". Now I just can't tell the difference.

Combined with the form factor of the FM3, and I have tonal and practical perfection. I had a III, but did not want to lug something rack mounted in addition to this, I did not need the power, size or weight. The FM3 for me is perfect in the studio and for live use. And the OMG 9 layout is the icing on the cake. 9 switches is just right for me. 6 caused me some issues when I was using the FC-6 with the III.

Untitled.jpg

20200828_113056.jpg
For background I am an electric violinist playing psychedelic jam, rock, and electronic influenced musics therefore my particular use case may be a little different than many on this forum. Also worth noting I am a complete newb to the fractal-verse with the fm3 being my first foray into hardware digital modeling.

Here's my preliminary setup with my Nektar Pacer midi board acting as additional switches and as a dynamicly assigned expression pedal controller (honestly feel this is something that should be built into scenes). The midi board was the only way I could get my Yamaha FC7s to work and I am glad they do because despite their comparatively large footprint I am a way bigger fan of them than the highly recommended mission pedal I got in the mail earlier this week to try. The Pacer currently has three pages programmed, one for scenes, one for modulation parameters, and one for delay parameters. The FM3 stays on per-preset view for quick access to stomp switches like compression, drive, or changing amp channels for a different core tone in addition to quick access to the tuner screen which doubles as a mute.

Loving the size/portability of this rig, did a bunch of sit-ins with a few groups at a private party this last weekend and I was consistently able to be setup and totally ready to go in less than 5 minutes. Many complements from fellow musicians on the sound coming from the fm3 as well. Took me all of five minutes to dial in that Jon Luc Ponty phaser sound everyone loves lol

I think the biggest thing I miss from my previous computer plugin based rig is the ability to attach a modifier to quantised values. For instance one psychedelic effect I like to do involves cycling through subdivisions of modulation or delay. The tonality is psychedelic/otherworldly but the quantised tap division changes give it a rhythmic electronic feel that works well with the boots n cats n beats I like to jam on. Currently the only way to do this is to utilize channels on the delay or modulation block which doesnt seem very efficient to me. I can only access 8 subdivisions this way (ideally I need 12, four each for regular, dotted, and triplet divisions) and this also limits my ability to additionally incorporate different types of delay modules (like reverse delay) within a preset.

In the end though I revel in comments akin to "I've never heard a violin sound like that before" and the FM3 nails that right out of the park. I'm super excited to continue digging into the tonal possibilities with this incredible little box of magic 🤘🤘

I think the biggest thing I miss from my previous computer plugin based rig is the ability to attach a modifier to quantised values. For instance one psychedelic effect I like to do involves cycling through subdivisions of modulation or delay. The tonality is psychedelic/otherworldly but the quantised tap division changes give it a rhythmic electronic feel that works well with the boots n cats n beats I like to jam on. Currently the only way to do this is to utilize channels on the delay or modulation block which doesnt seem very efficient to me. I can only access 8 subdivisions this way (ideally I need 12, four each for regular, dotted, and triplet divisions) and this also limits my ability to additionally incorporate different types of delay modules (like reverse delay) within a preset.
My first thought reading this: you may use modifiers on the parameters, and control these with the sequencer controller. May be exactly what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom