Let’s Talk Fuzz!

The Whale

Inspired
Ok gang... I’ve been struggling a little to get my Fuzzface drive pedal tones to sound like my analog fuzzes. Sonically, the analog version sounds basically like the attached video. I’m using a bassman model through the 4x12 creamback H speakers. The amp is breaking up when you slam on it, so perfect for fuzz. The wheelhouse fuzz tones are Hendrix and The Black Crowes, and then here’s the Analogman Video

How do we get close to these tones?

Ok gang... I’ve been struggling a little to get my Fuzzface drive pedal tones to sound like my analog fuzzes. Sonically, the analog version sounds basically like the attached video. I’m using a bassman model through the 4x12 creamback H speakers. The amp is breaking up when you slam on it, so perfect for fuzz. The wheelhouse fuzz tones are Hendrix and The Black Crowes, and then here’s the Analogman Video

How do we get close to these tones?

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Drive_block#Fuzz_pedals.2C_buffers_and_impedance

On the Axe-Fx you can adjust the impedance, can't do that on the AX8.

Do I have to be able to lower the impedance to make the fuzz respond? Also, in That Pedal Show, they show an adjustable trim knob...do we ha e a function on the AX8 for that?

Yes, it is critical for classic glorious fuzz face tone that there is no buffer between the guitar and the pedal. The AX8 input is a buffer, so we will never get it 'better' than the tone of a fuzz face behind a buffer :(

I am currently just using mine in front but I'm having differing results depending on which guitar and which pedal I am using. The AX8 doesn't seem to handle the signals the same as my amp does so dialing in the same sounds isn't really working. It gets close but not 100%. It also leaves me with limited options for my signal chain as the pedals are out of order from how I'm used to them.

My main fuzz is a Blackarts Toneworks Sarcophagus. It's really two fuzz pedals in one, the Pharaoh and the LSTR. I can get close using my strat to how I'm used to hearing it but my PRS just sounds like blubbery shit when paired with the pedal and the AX8. I've also got an ED Talons which seems to be the opposite. Sounds great with the PRS, horrible with the strat. On my amp, a Mesa Royal Atlantic, all combinations of the above sound great. It seems fuzz might just be an issue overall.

Back
Top Bottom