Let’s talk about Nashville/Country rock tone

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
The Fractal has so much to choose from! I love it and al thankful to the Lord for it!

I’m gonna be mixing a Country style song; slower tempo around 71.5 bpm and was gonna lay some additional crunch guitars in the choruses. What kind of setups work good for this application?

Let it be known, I’m either gonna use a Les Paul with Bare Knuckle Mules, a 335 with MHS pickups, or an SG with Thornbuckers.

What type of amps and cabs lend themself to that Nashville country overdrive tone?

Off the top of my head I thought cranked Vox, but what are the cool session style amps and what usually gets used on stuff like that? Just cranked lower wattage amps? Which amps and cabs? Or using OD pedals too? If so, which ones? I’d love to hear more about this and which amps and cabs and or OD pedals lend themselves to that type of tone.

My go to for this type of stuff is the ODS amps. On the ODS clean amp I crank the MV to 7 or 8 to get a clean with slight edge. For country it is and ODS or Fender all the way.
Got ya! That’s right! Fender amps too! I don't know why I always think Vox style when it comes to country. Do voxes get used a lot too?
Or is Fender kind of the go to amps? Which Fenders too? I would assume Deluxe or Princeton’s or something?

What about drive pedals? Tube Screamer seems obvious, but what other favorites are there in the Fractal that are popular for country rhythm crunch tone?

Howdy 🤠!! In our 2 Country Projects I use the Vox AC30Hot Amplifier for Dirty, Vox AC30TB for Edge of Break Up, And now the new AC30 Brilliant for Cleans. They work great for all tones…
I especially love the AC30 Hot also don’t need any Overdrives with it…. Just use the volume knob

Justin Ostrander (popular top 40 session player) is commonly known for using a Deluxe Reverb into a Morgan cab. Tom Bukovac has been a Matchless guy into a Bogner oversized cab (Ownhammer has a cab pack with this cab and Alnico golds) to the best of my knowledge. Can't go wrong with either. The Trainwreck stuff in the Fractal is a nice Vox styled thing (Brad Paisley's Z Wreck is based on a Trainwreck Rocket circuit), as is the Class-A Brilliant. Both topologies have been used by Brad Paisley throughout his career.

Check out Tom and Justin on Youtube; both are very generous with their time to make content.

The Nobles ODR-1 addition to the Fractal would also be a nice OD to add to the mix. The ODR-1 has been a Nashville staple for years. Cheers!

I'm a vote for the Matchless DC30 with York Audio Matchless IRs. Nice optical comp out front. Slapback delay and spring verb in the back.. maybe some trem.

It will buy a lot of groceries.

I'd use whatever was floating my boat.
There ain't nothing wrong w Metallicountry!

Not kidding. Right now I'd use the Uberchugger preset, scene 4.

I have been on a Matchless kick before too as well as the Hot Kitty.

Justin Ostrander (popular top 40 session player) is commonly known for using a Deluxe Reverb into a Morgan cab. Tom Bukovac has been a Matchless guy into a Bogner oversized cab (Ownhammer has a cab pack with this cab and Alnico golds) to the best of my knowledge. Can't go wrong with either. The Trainwreck stuff in the Fractal is a nice Vox styled thing (Brad Paisley's Z Wreck is based on a Trainwreck Rocket circuit), as is the Class-A Brilliant. Both topologies have been used by Brad Paisley throughout his career.

Check out Tom and Justin on Youtube; both are very generous with their time to make content.

The Nobles ODR-1 addition to the Fractal would also be a nice OD to add to the mix. The ODR-1 has been a Nashville staple for years. Cheers!
I’ve seen Sol Philcox Littlefield use VHT and Matchless…but they’ve got everything and if there’s cartage, most of those guys bring like 4 heads that cover all the basses.

Maybe I’m in a time warp…but the Nobles was added a couple FWs ago…I probably see more Nordlands than Nobles, though for that thing.

Matchless or Bogner, I know a ton of the more rock style country stuff is Bogner. Ecstasy Blue channel is where i'd start. If that's too much then the Matchless DC30 or Chieftain.

Deluxe Reverb (or any other Feder-style amp) with a Drive block would do it. And I also used a JTM45 for country crunch tone, and it’s awesome.

Love Marco Fanton's "country" patch, believe it's based on a DC30. With a humbucker guitar you'll probably go into crunch too soon, maybe try an axe with P90's or turn down a bit gain and mids up.

Back
Top Bottom