Let’s see your les pauls

These are the best standards they have done in years but I personally would prefer Kluson style (Gotoh SD90) tuners with push in bushings.
This is a very nice playing and sounding Les Paul. Volume roll-off is impressive. Agree about the bushings.

The Grover tuners are actually quite nice. Put some SIT strings on it after arrival and finding the tuning stability to be outstanding.

All aspects of this guitar are on-point.

Now waiting for a Les Paul Deluxe to find its way here. 😃

What's going on with the strings?
Nothing particularly unusual. I top wrap using spare ball ends threaded through each string from the front side of the tailpiece. The purpose is to make sure the tie-end windings don't then come out the other side and over the tailpiece.

Top wrapping means I can set everything lower and not have each string break angle too steep from saddle to tailpiece which usually results in strings touching the back edge of the bridge on their way to the tail otherwise.

The added bonus is that it feels slinkier to play too.

This is a very nice playing and sounding Les Paul. Volume roll-off is impressive. Agree about the bushings.

The Grover tuners are actually quite nice. Put some SIT strings on it after arrival and finding the tuning stability to be outstanding.

All aspects of this guitar are on-point.

Now waiting for a Les Paul Deluxe to find its way here. 😃
I just prefer the weight and look of them. They have finally listened to customers at Gibson and now they mostly build the the guitars that people actually want. What a pity the Les Paul 100 guitars are the 2015 horror story.

Nothing particularly unusual. I top wrap using spare ball ends threaded through each string from the front side of the tailpiece. The purpose is to make sure the tie-end windings don't then come out the other side and over the tailpiece.

Top wrapping means I can set everything lower and not have each string break angle too steep from saddle to tailpiece which usually results in strings touching the back edge of the bridge on their way to the tail otherwise.

The added bonus is that it feels slinkier to play too.
You get the same effect by raising the stop tail.

With its new (to me) pickups.

ORBgm3c.jpg

95TWboo.jpg

....is an entirely better answer than the one that I gave!

I mean....that really is it for me. I kinda don't get how it changes the tension. I guess it's only while bending, but I'm not sure I remember free body diagrams well enough to figure out how it should change. It might feel tighter to me. But, it doesn't get in the way. Strings don't wear out faster. Mine isn't particularly collectible, so if it eventually screws up the stop bar, I can just replace it. And if Billy Gibbons and Joe Bonamassa and half of the other famous LP players are wrong, who cares about being right?

Gibson also doesn't seem to think it's wrong. At some point, they switched to (I believe) tone pros hardware on at least their non-CS guitars....it's one of the companies people love for aftermarket parts because the material is supposed to be more vintage correct than what Gibson uses...which is kinda funny. Gibson silently switched to them years ago, and I'm pretty sure people would still replace the hardware with the exact same thing and think it sounded better. Some probably still do. Or....I could be misinformed. Whatever.

I also like using freaking silly $40 replica bumblebee caps in most of my guitars....because the inconsequential thing that's hidden inside the cavity that no one will ever see looks cool. My PRS actually has 2 different brands of .022 caps....one's a replica, the other's an orange drop...because I think it's funny, I wanted to change from the stock cap value (I believe it was higher), and I only had one replica sitting around. I think I might have lost one.

Anyway...mine LP's stop bar has stops for the ball end on both sides, so you can string it either way without the over-wrap kinking, and you don't need to use extra ball ends. Either that or NYXLs have shorter over-wraps than EB.

I've shared mine before but I am always happy to post again:

View attachment 118828
View attachment 118829
Slash Les Paul Standard in November Burst. I took these photos right after I got it, but the only real difference since is that I (of course) replaced the truss rod cover with a plain, no-logo version. I don't care about Slash at all, but this was far and away the nicest Les Paul I played over the course of a year, and I love the colour to boot.

That top is Heavenly!

Back
Top Bottom