Leslie sound a la Charlie Hunter

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I really like the leslie sound Charlie Hunter is using. Sometimes he puts his guitar through a Leslie but sometimes he is also using a H&K Rotosphere.
I tried to copy this sound. Resulting in a very simple patch. I am not totally satisfied though. I miss the depth. Tried adding a chorus or enhancer but that didn't help much.
Maybe someone hes a better Leslie sound? or maybe some tips? Beware that I have ext 1 set to rate. For the Charlie Hunter sound you have to push the pedal completely in (rate=8.272)

For an example listen to this clip from 1:25 and on:
Stanton Moore Common Ground - YouTube

Or to this for a demo of the Rotospehere:
Hughes and Kettner Tube Rotosphere MKI Demo - YouTube

With the Rotate in the Axe fx I miss the depth that this pedal has.

Attachments

• LESLIE HUNTER.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 71
I tried to get CH's leslie tone too, but couldn't really get there. Lets hope new firmware will make it easier.

Thanks. Totally missed that post. The rotary block has too much parameters. Adjusting most parameters doesn't make a huge difference. The H&K has only three knobs and does a better Leslie emulation IMHO.

Yup I think it's overly complicated too. I really want to get that Charlie sound as I'm playing his Novax signature model :).

Thanks. Totally missed that post. The rotary block has too much parameters. Adjusting most parameters doesn't make a huge difference. The H&K has only three knobs and does a better Leslie emulation IMHO.

Well, that isn't true at all. The amp block has too many parameters, the rotary block has really just the bare bones, and all of them do a noticable difference.

To me the parameters don't change the basic character of the Rotary effect. No matter what I dial in it more or less sounds the same. As I said before I don't hear the instant Leslie sound that the H&K or the Strymon Lex does with just three or four simple knobs.

Last edited:
ok, very nice guitar. Is it harder to play certain chords because of the fanned frets? I can imagine that it is also harder to play on the high positions because the frets are more fanned there but maybe I am wrong.

To me the parameters don't change the basic character of the Rotary effect. No matter what I dial in it more or less sounds the same. As I said before I don't hear the instant Leslie sound that the H&K or the Strymon Lex does with just three or four simple knobs.

The Strymon has TONS of parameters, much more than the Axe. All the knobs have at least 2 functions, some 3. With the HK, you have to like it exactly the way it is, because you can't change anything really, not even speed. If you do that, then great for you. I would go crazy with the HK parameter-wise. That I don't think it sounds that great, that's another issue :D

Back
Top Bottom