Les Paul wiring and switching overhaul?

Callan

Experienced
I'm thinking of replacing the wiring on my 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard, since I put a set of BKP Mules in it recently.
I was just looking at push-pull pots first to get the split sounds, but I might just replace all the wiring at the same time. (along with a new nut)

Has anybody else done this, can you recommend any sets, or individual components?
I found this one, but not sure how it rates, or if it's even an upgrade on what I have today.

Thanks,

What's your goal? More switchable sounds? "Better" components? Bragging rights on all-new electronics? That's a serious question. Your answers will determine how much money and time you spend.

If you want to split coils, you'll need at least one pot with a switch on it.

I'd recommend treble bleed circuits. Stew-Mac sells one for cheap that works surprisingly well with both humbuckers and single-coils, which makes them good for coil splitting.

If there's nothing actually wrong with the rest of the electronics, I don't see any point in doing a wholesale replacement—except for whatever value you may find in being able to say that you did.

What's your goal? More switchable sounds? "Better" components? Bragging rights on all-new electronics? That's a serious question. Your answers will determine how much money and time you spend.

If you want to split coils, you'll need at least one pot with a switch on it.

I'd recommend treble bleed circuits. Stew-Mac sells one for cheap that works surprisingly well with both humbuckers and single-coils, which makes them good for coil splitting.

If there's nothing actually wrong with the rest of the electronics, I don't see any point in doing a wholesale replacement—except for whatever value you may find in being able to say that you did.

Thanks @Rex,

More switchable sounds? Yes
"Better" components? Yes sure, are they better or not? I don't know?

I wanted to split both the coils to see how it would sound, thus the reason for wanting to get at least 2 push-pull pots.
Then I was looking around at treble bleed too, which I'm pretty sure my PRS has and works well.
This lead me to look and read about replacing the caps, which may or may not make a big difference, but why not since getting in that far.

That's when I started looking at kits to have all of the above.
Would I use the switch and the jack from the kit? I don't know, I might just leave the existing ones to keep things easy.

If you're still getting comfortable under the hood, a kit might be a good idea. You'd get clear instructions (hopefully) and preselected parts to match. Fewer decisions.

- I think coil tapping is useful, and I like to have it available (it's possible to do it with just one push-pull pot (actually, I prefer push-push)).

- I find treble bleed circuits very worthwhile.

- Regarding caps, what really matters is the capacitance value. Not the value printed on the cap, but its actual measured value. Some types can be as much as 20% off, and that will change the sound.

Last edited:
A big +1 on push-push pots for your coil taps. I only have that on one guitar and they are so much quicker and easier to use when you are playing than push-pull pots. I have push-pull pots on a few other guitars, but they are more difficult to grab and actually use when you need to switch quickly.

Also, even though you can use a single switch to do both pickups, I've always preferred to have individual control over the pickups. I often find that I like single-coil neck pickup for cleans and full-on humbucker bridge for dirt. It all depends on what styles you are playing of course, but just my 2 cents.

I have a push-push on my US-DLX strat (S1 switching) but I had not seen them for Les Pauls.
I will give them a look too. Thanks.

As for the 50's wiring or treble bleed, I prefer 50's wiring especially on my Gibsons (which means nothing just kind of worked out that way) But I do have a few guitars that I prefer the treble bleed circuit.
I have done it both ways with all of my guitars.

If I look at the whole collection, see a bit of a pattern. The lower output pickups (humbuckers & single coils) have the 50's wiring. The ones with treble bleed circuits are more medium output pickups. This is not by design this is just years of tinkering with all of them.

Treble bleeds don't cut it for me with my Les Pauls. But! That is me with my gear and what I play.

My point don't fall into one camp, try it both ways.

John

Check into the circuit Gibson was using on the 2013 Les Paul Standard Premium Plus (and maybe others). I bought one of those and the sounds and switching are both surprisingly good and genuinely useful. Here is a video showing the sound options, and in a real setting (and through an Axe Fx II XL+) it sounds great.

(Update: Added a video with more sound examples, from Wildwood Guitars)

This is my favorite LP I've ever owned, and I've had some nice ones. Plays great, looks great, more usable sounds than ever, and I don't have to hack it up with a bunch of extra switches to make it work. I think it's awesome. Honestly, Gibsons had fallen out of favor with me in recent years, but this is a great model.LP Front 1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom