• SG

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • No preference. Like them both

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

sarge

Power User
Was curious was others thought on this.

I recently had picked up an SG standard, then about a week later got my hands on a Les Paul standard.

Been playing both guitars now for about a month.

I love both of them. They are both really cool guitars. And the tone I get out of them is old school. These guitars ooze classic rock tone.

After a month of getting to know both guitars, I have to say I prefer the SG. And here is why.

1. Weight. The difference in weight is huge. Sitting down playing the Les Paul on my leg, it starts to hurt after 30 minutes.
2. Neck access. The SG is much easier to play the higher frets
3. Pickup selector location. Much easier to switch pickups rapidly in the middle of a song

Was wondering what others thought.

In the end both are great guitars. It is just a matter of preference.

SG all the way for me. It just feels more comfortable to play, and as you stated, light and easy access to upper frets. I also love old school Black Sabbath and anything ACDC and it lives there, go figure.

I have played both but not owned them. I would have to lean towards the SG because of the weight issue first then neck access. Les Pause are nice and have a great fat sound all their own but they are just heavy beasts that in a way are limited in what you can do.

I prefer (ugh - hate to say this as a PRS fan) the Les Paul because of the amount of wood. The SG is overall a much better feel, but it doesn't have the sustain or meat that a LP has, and now in my case, the PRS SingleCut.

Also - when I had my 1960's era SG, I remember that I could bend the neck itself for vibrato. Not sure if that's considered a safe practice (or great design)...

Of course when it comes to human factors, I'd much rather have a SG slung over my shoulder.

I have to vote SG just because my #1 is an SG, but really they are both classic, iconic designs that are worthy of owning.

How about "neither"? I prefer a Suhr Modern, or if that's not available, a Strat.

I chose "no preference" because I have both and think they are both great guitars. I guess overall I would give the SG a slight edge, but both guitars have their strengths and weaknesses. Honestly though, as much as I love playing my Gibsons, my PRS Custom 24 is my favorite to play.

Prefer the SG.... weight, high note access, neck feel and action (faster neck), generally plays easier....

They are quite different guitars, and given that they're both good guitars, I can't say one is better than the other. Pickup choice makes a difference as well. IMHO the SG is a little more versatile, but only the Les Paul has "that" sound.

For me, a classic Les Paul for tone, but an SG for everything else.

It seems to me that there are far more variations on the Les Paul design (as in, Les Pauls with rockier pickups, metal pickups, differing neck profiles, etc.) than there are of the SG, so I would have to say that for blues playing, I love the Les Paul tone. For any other style, I would gravitate to another design.

However, an SG beats a Les Paul on feel, weight and upper fret access.

FWIW, I actually own neither (so cannot comment on the long term factors), but after trying both, and loving both for different reasons, the SG is the one that I constantly looked up online for a good deal. That's some successful subconscious programming going on right there! :D ;)

Well, I am not super fond of either, but I prefer the LP to the SG only because of balance. I have yet to play am SG that wasn't neck heavy, which is a pet peeve of mine.

I had a '71 LP Deluxe Goldtop and loved it. Until tragedy befell that guitar and I wept as I cashed the insurance check.

LP all the way for me. SG is light but I feel like the weight is in the neck and awkward. Also LP looks beautiful and chicks don't like the SGs. And that's the only reason I play guitar.

SG all the way for me. It just feels more comfortable to play, and as you stated, light and easy access to upper frets. I also love old school Black Sabbath and anything ACDC and it lives there, go figure.

I have a feeling you and I have VERY similar tastes in music!

I love the SG sound but the strap location in the back instead of the side makes it feel unnatural compared to other guitars I had.

Back
Top Bottom