Les Paul Traditional vs. Standard...

leagueofkruger

Inspired
Hi guys
Most of you probably already are well aware of these things, but as a Fender guy, I was not..... recently bought my first Les Paul (woo hoo) but had a hard time choosing between a Traditional and a Standard... what are the key differences????
For anybody else in the same boat.... thought I'd post this little video....
Cheers!

I would save up money for the CC#2 :D

Or have TB from Canada build me one. Around 6000$, but the quality.....

Nice video. It was interesting. So then what does a standard tend to weigh, and what about a traditional?

My standard came with locking tuners and a neutrik locking jack, weight relieved and a tapered neck profile (thicker at the top, thinner at the bottom). I believe the newer ones also comes with push/pull knobs to split the coils.

Basically the standard is a modern take on a Les Paul where’s the traditional is using traditional components. And since they always want a Les Paul to look like a Les Paul, any change made won’t change the visual appearance so it can be very difficult to see any of the changes made unless you know what to look for.

My next Les Paul is likely a Axcess that has even more modern features like carved body to make it more comfortable and curved neck joint to make it easier to play higher up the fretboard. Some Axcess models also comes with a Floyd Rose which is probably the only real visual difference you can easily see from this models. Otherwise a Les Paul is always going to look like a Les Paul.

I'd like to try an Axcess model as well. I believe they engineered a new stronger neck connection. The regular neck joint construction in a Les Paul is really shotty. I have 4 Les Pauls and like them, but one required major repair due to a fire and some major head stock damage. I had Don Bell, an amazing luthier in Texas, repair it. He installed a proper neck Joint and it made all the difference in the world. The Axcess model seems like they are actually trying to improve on the classic design. I respect vintage instruments, but I welcome modern thinking to take it to the next level.

Nice video. It was interesting. So then what does a standard tend to weigh, and what about a traditional?

I found the weight to be very similar between the two for noodling in the house. It certainly wasn't an obvious thing that was immediately noticeable....

Reactions: sam
My son shopped for Les Pauls about a year ago (with models that had slightly different specs than the current ones), and yes, a lot of the difference comes down to pickups, neck preferences, etc, but we were both surprised at differences between guitars of the same type (eg we compared 3 different Traditional models, they all had different resonance, sustain, etc). Most guitars were set up quite well.

So don't just pick from the specs, try before you buy is my advice.

I have an axcess and a custom. Both very nice. The standards have the best playing necks on them IMO, the axcess had the standard neck profile, so it plays fabulous. If I was going to buy only one les Paul it would be an axcess. Push pull tone controls for split coils, cut away neck, lighter, and standard neck profile, plus it's a hand built custom shop model. If you can afford it the Alex lifeson model will get you a piezo as well.

I have an axcess and a custom. Both very nice. The standards have the best playing necks on them IMO, the axcess had the standard neck profile, so it plays fabulous. If I was going to buy only one les Paul it would be an axcess. Push pull tone controls for split coils, cut away neck, lighter, and standard neck profile, plus it's a hand built custom shop model. If you can afford it the Alex lifeson model will get you a piezo as well.

You sir, are NOT helping my Gas for a Les Paul Axcess :)

Back
Top Bottom