markludmer

Been with the Axe-FXIII for over a month now, and really loving it. As a rock bassist that also plays keys (and guitar) I've been experimenting with a bunch of edited presets. More on my setup another time on an ongoing basis. (hope I'm not boring y'all with gear talk). I'm getting ready to go into some live gigs, and needed a pc that was light, powerful, robust and ez so I could use AXE-EDIT to dial in the presets that I believe I've nearly perfected in the shed (headphones, low volume, etc., but at gig level db while trying out some monitoring options. Got the Lenova Flex 5 delivered today (ordered late last night on Amazon, sorry no link, 2nd post), and at first I had a bit of a scare, (taking forever, multiple tries, to load cabs) but realized I had to upgrade to CYGNUS.

I've been using AXE EDIT on Macs in the shed, but wanted a cheap tablet thingabob to have on hand for live dialing in and quick edits, etc.

Note, got an iPad Pro working here, but connected from a MacBookPro running Airplay as an extended monitor. too much for playing out...

After the upgrade, it was working very well. Now time to dive in and tweak everything up to get her ready for trying out (2) Schroeder 15L cabs (Bass and bass pedals with a Matrix GT1600FX - Bass out1 to FOH, out 2 to the MATRIX/SCHROEDERS) Bass pedals out 4 to FOH with out 2 to the MATRIX EQd, and (2) QSC K12 for the (2) keyboards (Mixed stereo to OUT3 to the QSC K12s at my keyboard position, and looped out to FOH ! HELL YEA!! It's beyond my wildest dreams... staying tuned. ;) Sorry for the sloppy pics and cryptic scribbles. ;) The shed is always a mess as usual. AXE-FXIII FN ROCKS!! Beyond blessed. Thank you Fractal!

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
How do you feel about operating Axe-Edit from the touchscreen since it's not exactly made for that?
I definitely prefer utilizing the Lenovo with AXE EDIT in standard LAPTOP mode which gives access to the keyboard, touchpad and an attached trackball mouse, as well as the touchscreen and pen. And I do find the touchscreen and pen adds extra navigating finesse in LAPTOP mode as well. I'll take all I can get to navigate easier... But probably could live without the pen in LAPTOP mode. But I believe the benefits in TABLET and STAND modes (no keyboard or touchpad in those modes) do have some pros for placement and easy access, when positioning or placing a laptop is not feasible because of tight spaces. The LENOVO touchscreen keyboard in those modes is pretty cool, and the mouse is still active, which can be a lifesaver I believe...

I really need to figure out how I can get more familiar with implementing more key commands to work from the keyboard, as I believe there could be some quick access improvements made with key shortcuts that I haven't figured out yet... an that could be huge for navigating... Currently, some of the shortcuts that appear during a mouse, pen, or touch "rollover" don't seem to work on any of my computers (MacBookPro, Mac Pro. Lenovo) I'm hoping there's something I'm missing in that area that will benefit my workflow for editing presets... Any tricks and tips are appreciated. \\m//

I've been using Dell Lattitude 3189 for few years now as a live device (12" foldable laptop with touch screen) to control AxeEdit, X32 rack and reaper and I was quite happy with it. Works great with touch and regular laptop mode, and it works simultaneously, so sometimes was faster to touch the screen that to do something with mouse or touchpad. I still have it and keep as a backup as there is no live playing in Poland. For last few months I am using 13" MacBookPro for home and rehearsal as it is powerful machine. But I will not get rid of Dell.

I've been using Dell Lattitude 3189 for few years now as a live device (12" foldable laptop with touch screen) to control AxeEdit, X32 rack and reaper and I was quite happy with it. Works great with touch and regular laptop mode, and it works simultaneously, so sometimes was faster to touch the screen that to do something with mouse or touchpad. I still have it and keep as a backup as there is no live playing in Poland. For last few months I am using 13" MacBookPro for home and rehearsal as it is powerful machine. But I will not get rid of Dell.
Good stuff. The touch surface is definitely a big plus for the X32 and Reaper faders I would think. I use an iPad for a digital mixer for the FOH person. While I'm wanting to try to keep the Lenovo as a dedicated AXE EDIT controller interface, I could see other uses creeping in, like track playback, set list notes and charts, and more. Let me know if you have any key shortcuts for AXE EDIT that you like...

I found this youtube video helpful for key shortcuts with a laptop. (can't post links) search:

15 ESSENTIAL Axe Edit Keyboard shortcuts you must know!​

I've been running a laptop w Axe Edit on it. Toshiba. I just received a Lenovo Yoga touch screen. I'll be running the Axe 3, Universal Control and Capture.

Everyone in the band has some sort of tablet/laptop going these days.

But wait a minute!

According to the internet,

"No one is bringing a laptop to live gigs"

😉

DIY gigs less so. Household names? Pretty likely lol.

We did play a show where the local opener was a 3pc with laptop. The laptop part was fine, but the (young) guitarist wasnt dialled in and was pretty buried. Hopefully he gets it figured out and they keep giggin'.

Back
Top Bottom