Legacy Vs. Dyna-Cabs

Anything you can share regarding more internal DynaCabs coming?
I wouldn’t hold my breath personally. If more do come it would be a nice surprise. These devices don’t have an overwhelming amount of spare storage available so it wouldn’t shock me if all additional releases of DynaCabs here on out are via Packs for CL4.

Suits me just fine since I never go back and intentionally tweak them live. I may revisit and tweak mic position if I’m searching to tune the sound in some way when home. I don’t need them internal for that though.

So I made some measurements of our Neve vs. API preamps. The difference is virtually nil. For a condenser mic the difference IS nil which is unsurprising since a condenser has its own built-in preamp.

Here's the frequency response difference between a Neve 1073 and an API 312:

View attachment 133767
If you ignore the difference at 20 Hz, which is inaudible and only about 1.5 dB, the difference is within a couple tenths of a dB across the spectrum. This is with an SM7B. The results were similar with an R121.

Therefore the only logical conclusion is that the mic preamp has very little influence on the IR. Now, that's not say mic preamps don't sound different. The nonlinear characteristics are definitely different and will manifest depending upon how hard the preamp is driven. However, IRs are inherently linear and don't capture these nonlinear characteristics and, as seen in the graph above, the resulting IRs are basically independent of the preamp used.

QED

Reminds me of this:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mic-preamp-test-free-irs.191191/post-2375385

After spending some time, I’m completely changing to Dyna Cabs now.
And yes I missed something at the beginning but after getting completely into this, it’s awesome how great Dyna Cabs are.
Of course you will always have some special cabs that you can’t replicate.
I mainly use Plexis and the 1960 TV cab is just glorious!

And yes I missed something at the beginning but after getting completely into this, it’s awesome how great Dyna Cabs are.
What did you miss? If you don’t mind elaborating

Any chance to get a screenshot of the dynacab or a preset please ?

I also use plexis and I also miss some frequencies.

Can you elaborate?

Any chance to get a screenshot of the dynacab or a preset please ?

I also use plexis and I also miss some frequencies.

Can you elaborate?
Here it is.
It's heavily inspired from a EVH preset.
Turnoff the drive block, delay and pitch for a pure Plexi sound.
I dial in all my presets at a high volume the parametric eq does tidy up the sound.

Attachments

• Eddiefied PLexi.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
Get an empty 1608 and fill it up with (the better) CAPI pres/eq/comps…Great sounding stuff. Would be like a 70s API.
Nothing against Jeff or the CAPI pres, EQs and comps. He makes quality gear, but the comment that CAPI gear is “better” than the original API components doesn’t resonate with me. At least not when comparing to vintage API consoles. Have you ever worked on a vintage API 1608 or 2488?

I have owned a lot of vintage and boutique gear over the last 40+ years, including a 1979 API 2488 console, and to my ears the API pres (in the console, not in a 500 series rack) are as good as anything ever made. Full stop.

Yes. Used a 3232 on a regular basis in the past. I'm not sure how you interpreted that I was saying they sound better than vintage, but my comment was talking about buying a current 1608 and putting in pres. If you think the modern APIs are as good...then more power to you. I've actually done several shootouts - one with several gens of vintage API 550s. We all thought the BT50 and the vintage 550 sounded the best...and the new production API 550A came in last. There were 6 different API or CAPI EQs.

The VP26 is the exact same circuit as the 536.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.41.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-29 at 6.41.45 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yes. Used a 3232 on a regular basis in the past. I'm not sure how you interpreted that I was saying they sound better than vintage, but my comment was talking about buying a current 1608 and putting in pres. If you think the modern APIs are as good...then more power to you. I've actually done several shootouts - one with several gens of vintage API 550s. We all thought the BT50 and the vintage 550 sounded the best...and the new production API 550A came in last. There were 6 different API or CAPI EQs.

The VP26 is the exact same circuit as the 536.
Apparently I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the CAPI 500 series modules sounds better than the modules in a vintage API 1604 console.

I'm assuming your comparison of the EQ modules was done using 500 series racks, not with the modules loaded in a vintage API console frame. I've done countless shootouts as well, and the way API pres, 550s and 550A EQs sound in a 500 series rack doesn't compare to how they sound when loaded in a vintage API console.

And no, I don't think modern API gear sounds as good as the vintage equivalents. Does CAPI sound better than modern API? I guess that's subjective, but the "exact same circuit" argument doesn't hold water. The op amps and transformers in CAPI gear are not the same as in the originals, and those components are a big part of the sound.

https://gearspace.com/board/gearspa...480-fs-vintage-api-2488-discrete-console.html

Last edited:
Here it is.
It's heavily inspired from a EVH preset.
Turnoff the drive block, delay and pitch for a pure Plexi sound.
I dial in all my presets at a high volume the parametric eq does tidy up the sound.
Thanxs. I tried it but a low volume, sounded great. Gonna try it tomorrow louder!

I tried DynaCabs pretty extensively early on, and couldn't best my favorite mix of York Audio & stock IR's. I may be wrong, but some of the recent FW updates, IIRC, included some speaker tab updates. I believe those updates made the DynaCabs come to life for me. One of our FOH guys at church works on the road for Luke Combs, and he told me my guitar "sounded great" out front. There was an enthusiasm I hadn't seen from him before, haha! I had to cobble together a "Matchless mismatched speaker cab" using the Chiefman and /13 cabs.

Yes I think it makes it a bit more natural to have slight phasings
Chris Baseford talked about this recently in his stream
Saying I would never place a 57 and Royer in the exact same spot because in the real world. Physically how could you do that ?
They might be close but they are not both in the exact same spot on the same speaker because that would be pretty much impossible
yes, even this minor difference causes the slightest bit of phase discrepancy that is often pleasing (or at least familiar with the recorded tones of the past that we all seem to chase after). 2 capsules can NOT occupy the exact same space and as we know, guitar speakers can sound drastically different even 1" to either side of a given spot. this is one of those variables that causes the differences between working with IR's vs. mics on a cab that most people don't realize. So if something's not "sounding right" when blending IR's, try a different position (even a very minor adjustment) which one of them to kind of create the "real world" discrepancy that often is what we want to hear.

I want to love DynaCabs and I regularly come back to them to try them again. But I just can’t bond with them. I have found sounds that are ok, but not great.

They sound scooped to me. The low end and top end is good, but there’s no mids and no punch.

I sometimes wonder if something went wrong during import, because many people swear by them. But I think it’s just me not getting along with them.

The weird thing is that I love Fractal Audio legacy IRs, so this is not a bias against fractal audio.

Try legacy IR: “Factory bank 2 - no. 801 - 4x12 Recto 57 B - FAS”. Might be my favorite V30 IR of all time.
100% they sound scooped to me as well. Glad it’s not just me.

Back
Top Bottom