Left Right Morph Issue

Jerry K.

Experienced
Here is a patch designed to go into a regular guitar amp. I have it set up to morph between clean and dirty and it works perfect for the most part. My issue is if I morph to the dirty side I can still hear the clean mixed in, I don't hear the dirty on the clean side. I have the volume block set to pan between the two paths and the drive pedal is set to right input.

I am able to fix it if I put a drive or amp block in the clean path and set the input to left. Do I have to have something in both rows to tell it to be a left or right path? Ideally it would be great to just use the volume block and pan left and right to make it work. What am I missing? I have attached the patch if you want to try and figure it out. Just change the "balance" modifier in the volume block to match your expression pedal.

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot .png

Attachments

• TS808Ruckus Morph.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yes, both left and right will run in both paths of your preset.

You could do a one path preset and attach the expression pedal to the mix control in the drive block

Are you able to explain why the balance control won't isolate each path when I pan between the two paths?

Are you able to explain why the balance control won't isolate each path when I pan between the two paths?
That is because, you don't pan between the two paths - You pan between left and right, but both paths contain both left and right.

You could either have a vol/pan block on each path and then attach the same (but oppositely set up) external controller to the volume sweep, or you could just attach the external controller to the level parameter of both delay blocks (if they are always on). Either way, you have to have the same controller controlling a block on each path.

Or as you mention yourself, you have to tell the clean path that it is the right path. @Rex, the compressor block will not work, you cannot select the input, you can only select the side chain input. An amp, drive or a vol/pan block would work.

Here you go, one has the volume control PRE distortion the other one POST distortion, when heel down you are clean, heel up distortion

Attachments

• TS808Ruckus Morph POST.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
  • TS808Ruckus Morph PRE.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 2
You can use two Vol/Pan blocks, one at the beginning of each path and leave everything panned center. Assign your expression pedal to the volume control parameter of both blocks and on one of them, swap the start and end values in the modifier to reverse the curve direction. That turns one up while the other turns down and lets you morph between the two signal chains without messing with panning.

You guys are awesome, thanks for all the ideas! I am posting one more screenshot and patch, this is the actual patch I want to use. I already am using both volume blocks in order to take advantage of the heel/toe volume/wah trick so both of them are in use. I would also like to have a separate delay for the clean and dirty path and my CPU is at 84%.

Smittefar, I like your idea of assigning a modifier to the drive block mix parameter but I can't figure out how to maintain two delays for clean and distortion? If possible, I would prefer not to mess with assigning a modifer to the delay level because they are not both always on. An additional Drive won't work due to lack of CPU even if I delete the chorus and filter. It seems like an additional volume block is what is needed to assign true left and right.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make this work?

Once again, thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 7.01.12 PM.png

Attachments

• TS808Ruckus Morph.syx
Last edited:
You guys are awesome, thanks for all the ideas! I am posting one more screenshot and patch, this is the actual patch I want to use. I already am using both volume blocks in order to take advantage of the heel/toe volume/wah trick so both of them are in use. I would also like to have a separate delay for the clean and dirty path and my CPU is at 84%.

Smittefar, I like your idea of assigning a modifier to the drive block mix parameter but I can't figure out how to maintain two delays for clean and distortion? If possible, I would prefer not to mess with assigning a modifer to the delay level because they are not both always on. An additional Drive won't work due to lack of CPU even if I delete the chorus and filter. It seems like an additional volume block is what is needed to assign true left and right.

View attachment 35713
you could just use the Graphic EQs as well in the same way as volume blocks

View attachment 35713

Another thing you should consider is using the SPRING reverbs, they utilize A LOT less CPU and they sound great

Try this, i modified your preset, since you already have a volume block in use, i replaced your Filter block with the volume 2 block, now that one has a 2.5dB boost just like the filter did (you may have to re-assign it to your footswitch if it was assigned before)

Then i took the 2 filters and put them right before each delay (that way you can get spill over)

Then each filter has external 3 as it's modifier, because the level goes from -80dB to 20dB (100 steps) the external modifier for each block has a range of 0 to 80 (because the lowest leve is -80 then 0 is 80), the clean side has the modifier at the heel position, the distortion side has it at toe position, load it into an empty preset.

the CPU usage jumped to 87% so it's not too bad but i would consider trying a different reverb if CPU because an issue, any of the spring models will save you a lot of CPU

Attachments

• TS808Ruckus Morph Mod.syx
I ended up going with Nero's suggestion of using the spring reverb. I did not realize how much less CPU it used. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom