Least CPU intensive reverb?

Chris Bro

Hey everyone. I'm getting my AX8 all dialed in for multiple bands, and have added a Voes MC-5jr to control my scenes so that I have all of my FX available on the AX8 stomp switches. It's super clean and intuitive, but the problem with running ALL my FX in a single preset is that I have run out of CPU. I'd like to add a reverb to the end of the signal chain to give the sound just a whisper of live air so that it sounds less dry in the PA system, but the preset will jump from mid 70's % processing up to upper 80's when I load a reverb block, and even though I'm not using a long reverb time or mix, it immediately shuts the reverb off the moment I start playing because the AX8 is out of gas.

So the questions is, does anyone know if any of the reverb settings take up less CPU than others to maybe squeeze this last little bit in, or am I just kind of at the end of my rope here? Thanks!

Spring is the lowest CPU cost 'verb.

Any chance you're using a Pitch block? If so, do you have it to Economy mode?

Also, you're not connected to AX8 Edit when you hit the CPU, correct?

Spring is the lowest CPU cost 'verb.

Any chance you're using a Pitch block? If so, do you have it to Economy mode?

Also, you're not connected to AX8 Edit when you hit the CPU, correct?

I have a pitch block, and didn't realize there was an economy mode, so I'll have a look for that. And I was connected to AX8 Edit. How much does that impact the CPU?

Hey everyone. I'm getting my AX8 all dialed in for multiple bands, and have added a Voes MC-5jr to control my scenes so that I have all of my FX available on the AX8 stomp switches. It's super clean and intuitive, but the problem with running ALL my FX in a single preset is that I have run out of CPU. I'd like to add a reverb to the end of the signal chain to give the sound just a whisper of live air so that it sounds less dry in the PA system, but the preset will jump from mid 70's % processing up to upper 80's when I load a reverb block, and even though I'm not using a long reverb time or mix, it immediately shuts the reverb off the moment I start playing because the AX8 is out of gas.

So the questions is, does anyone know if any of the reverb settings take up less CPU than others to maybe squeeze this last little bit in, or am I just kind of at the end of my rope here? Thanks!
You can use Spring type, set to Normal quality and Density setting. I think that's the most minimal CPU load.

CPU% saving list.
  1. Pitch block set to economy mode.
  2. Cab block set to 'Normal' Res.
  3. Reverb Quality set to 'Normal'
  4. Lower the Reverb 'Echo Density' parameter.
I have a Delay block that I setup as a "Reverb" block that uses less CPU% than the 'Reverb' block, but still sound pretty good.

Attachments

• Moke (Delay) Reverb_20170318_120346.blk
    531 bytes · Views: 12
Turning the 'Echo Density" down will help reduce CPU impact of the reverb. Has saved my bacon more than a time or two.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I got my cover band patch pretty well dialed in for the gigs this weekend with just the every so slight whisper of spring verb on the end of the signal chain to give the sound a slightly less in-your-face feel. Next week I'll be on to getting my Dream Theater Patch better dialed in. That one is already pretty damn soaked in CPU, so I hope I can get there with it...

Cheers!

CPU% saving list.
  1. Pitch block set to economy mode.
  2. Cab block set to 'Normal' Res.
  3. Reverb Quality set to 'Normal'
  4. Lower the Reverb 'Echo Density' parameter.
I have a Delay block that I setup as a "Reverb" block that uses less CPU% than the 'Reverb' block, but still sound pretty good.
I'll add classic mode in the input gate saves some cpu too, compared to the intelligent mode.

I'll add classic mode in the input gate saves some cpu too, compared to the intelligent mode.

The thing I don't like about intelligent mode is that it gives my guitar sound this weird kind of "bubbling" noise at really low input (guitar volume rolled way down). Once I found and changed that setting it totally went away.

The thing I don't like about intelligent mode is that it gives my guitar sound this weird kind of "bubbling" noise at really low input (guitar volume rolled way down). Once I found and changed that setting it totally went away.
I agree, I always use the classic mode too, and no gate at all for low gain stuff.

Back
Top Bottom