Lead tone that cuts thru mix

bobby g

I have some lead tones that sound great at home playing to backin tracks....But just wont cut thru the mix with my band....
I need a tone that cuts thru but also has that great sustain and note to note connection.....any ideas?

It would be useful to know the music genre.. whenever I need a lead tone that cuts through, brit 800 #34 is my go to model, it has this nasal quality that just cuts through no matter what, but if you play jazz or soul, I wouldn’t recommend it!

Whats the guitar? What amps are you partial to?

Low cut 150h, high cut 10k, up the mids a little bit. Bridge pickup is your friend.

Specifically playing Running Down a Dream....when I went to solo couldn't hear it.....At home its so loud its crazy....

Agree that many overdrive some lead tones too much. Did it myself until I saw the light. :)

Critical listening to leads you wish to emulate will help.

best of luck!

Specifically playing Running Down a Dream....when I went to solo couldn't hear it.....At home its so loud its crazy....

sounds to me like your band mates didn't leave much space for the solo

Last edited:
#1 Lead presets always have to be louder than what you'd expect.
2# Never play them at sound check, they all would tell you it's too loud, but they were wrong, because of #1.

If you can, record the band, ideally multitrack with your unprocessed guitar separate, and play it back at or near gig volume while you adjust your settings in the full mix context.

Folks are probably right that you need less distortion, less low end, and less reverb, more mids, and maybe more fizz than you'd naturally dial up playing solo quietly at home. You'll figure it out if you get a chance to work on it in a realistic context.

Last edited:
This.

Stop thinking about what sounds good by itself. What cuts through may make you sneer without the band in play.

Again, this. I make versions of each of my presets specifically for practicing alone, with a filter to give my FRFR more of an amp in the room feel and less mids.

I have some lead tones that sound great at home playing to backin tracks....But just wont cut thru the mix with my band....
I need a tone that cuts thru but also has that great sustain and note to note connection.....any ideas?
Mids are your friend.

Each member of the band has their own slice of the overall EQ spectrum. In general, live tones need to have less bass and be far brighter overall than what is pleasing when playing alone. You want to be in that upper mid range of the EQ spectrum only, otherwise you begin to be washed out by the others.

Back
Top Bottom