Lead sound--stock Axe II Friedman BE preset

Patch sounds great but, but timing!!!, come on man. I really don't want to be rude or anything and we all have different levels of competency. but seriously, you have to listen and play in time, less notes more feel. I really don't mean to be harsh but if someone is not telling you that what you are playing is all over the place, they are not doing you any favors. I can hear that you have obviously spent hours noodling over your scales and can play them, but may I suggest that you ALWAYS practice with a metronome. Completely forget about your left hand and chords etc, mute the strings with a cloth or something and practice strumming along to songs with your right hand only. The most important thing is to keep your strumming in time and NOT break out of the tempo. You will be amazed to discover that almost every note that you want to play is in the strum, meaning that you never have to break tempo to play something. Go and have a look at someone like Mark Day and watch his right hand, 98% of the time he is simply strumming up and down and all the notes he plays are within the strum. The old story about knowing the rules before you can break them is completely relevant to guitar playing. You have to know how to play in time before you can break out of time and come back in time. If you don't learn to strum in time this is what will happen, you will reach a point where no amount of practice seems to get you anywhere and you plateau in your playing no matter how hard you try. I have seen this hundreds of times and sometimes by the time you get to this stage it is almost impossible to go back and learn it again. it takes three times longer to re-learn bad habits than learning them the right way first time. Feel free to tell me to piss off and forget everything I have said but if you follow what I have said I promise you will see the benefits in you playing.

Patch sounds great but, but timing!!!, come on man. I really don't want to be rude or anything and we all have different levels of competency. but seriously, you have to listen and play in time, less notes more feel. I really don't mean to be harsh but if someone is not telling you that what you are playing is all over the place, they are not doing you any favors. I can hear that you have obviously spent hours noodling over your scales and can play them, but may I suggest that you ALWAYS practice with a metronome. Completely forget about your left hand and chords etc, mute the strings with a cloth or something and practice strumming along to songs with your right hand only. The most important thing is to keep your strumming in time and NOT break out of the tempo. You will be amazed to discover that almost every note that you want to play is in the strum, meaning that you never have to break tempo to play something. Go and have a look at someone like Mark Day and watch his right hand, 98% of the time he is simply strumming up and down and all the notes he plays are within the strum. The old story about knowing the rules before you can break them is completely relevant to guitar playing. You have to know how to play in time before you can break out of time and come back in time. If you don't learn to strum in time this is what will happen, you will reach a point where no amount of practice seems to get you anywhere and you plateau in your playing no matter how hard you try. I have seen this hundreds of times and sometimes by the time you get to this stage it is almost impossible to go back and learn it again. it takes three times longer to re-learn bad habits than learning them the right way first time. Feel free to tell me to piss off and forget everything I have said but if you follow what I have said I promise you will see the benefits in you playing.

No problem. I appreciate the input. I knew the timing was shaky (I think I even said so when I posted this on TGP). The problem is I really just wanted to demonstrate the sound and not the playing. This was literally first take, without warming up. I should spend more time to get a good take when I post something, but I don't have the patience and, again, I really wanted to illustrate the sound. But you're right, I should take more pride when I post something.

I get the feeling that Simon here is advocating the "ghost strum" method where your hand always keeps moving even if you're not picking notes on every pass? FWIW, I never move my picking hand unless I'm picking a note (not even for chord strum songs), and I never have. I always thought that totally went against "economy of motion" which is at the foundation of my technique - not to mention I always thought it looked somewhat disconcerting (even silly?) to watch. Also, if you want to play anything faster than a 16th note, that method will not work. Not that it doesn't have any merits, I'm not going that far. It can help to develop rhythm if you aren't "getting it" naturally. I would say if you are open to the idea, give it a try. But you don't "need" that method to get to a world class level of technique and rhythm precision. I and all my "shred friends" are proof of this. It's only one way to skin a cat. If you want any pointers, just email me. I'd be glad to answer any technique questions.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that Simon here is advocating the "ghost strum" method where your hand always keeps moving even if you're not picking notes on every pass? FWIW, I never move my picking hand unless I'm picking a note (not even for chord strum songs), and I never have. I always thought that totally went against "economy of motion" which is at the foundation of my technique - not to mention I always thought it looked somewhat disconcerting (even silly?) to watch. Also, if you want to play anything faster than a 16th note, that method will not work. Not that it doesn't have any merits, I'm not going that far. It can help to develop rhythm if you aren't "getting it" naturally. I would say if you are open to the idea, give it a try. But you don't "need" that method to get to a world class level of technique and rhythm precision. I and all my "shred friends" are proof of this. It's only one way to skin a cat. If you want any pointers, just email me. I'd be glad to answer any technique questions.

Thanks. I listened to this again, and I really think it was just a bad, rushed, take. One take, sitting at a desk in an awkward position (in a chair with "arms"). Not saying my technique couldn't improve, particularly with respect to time (I'm certainly no metronome), but it's not representative of my pocket. Been playing for 40 years, and in paying gigs since I was 18. Again, I appreciate the constructive input, and will certainly keep it in mind, but I don't think it's representative. My fault, of course in posting sloppy clips.

i appreciate you posting. it was, after all, done to showcase the patch tone, not your technique. it takes a certain amount of guts to post a clip of your playing. this is not the "don't post unless your technique and feel are flawless" forum. don't apologize and keep it up.

Thanks. I listened to this again, and I really think it was just a bad, rushed, take. One take, sitting at a desk in an awkward position (in a chair with "arms"). Not saying my technique couldn't improve, particularly with respect to time (I'm certainly no metronome), but it's not representative of my pocket. Been playing for 40 years, and in paying gigs since I was 18. Again, I appreciate the constructive input, and will certainly keep it in mind, but I don't think it's representative. My fault, of course in posting sloppy clips.

After I read this, the only one thing I can say

Don't be like me and put your own playing down...

You have more balls then I do by actually doing it and putting it out there. there was some good gems in that playing.

-Nate

Hi bjjP2

Thank you for accepting my comments in good grace, it is the marking of a real man or woman.

Rock On :)

Regards Simon

Hi jerotas
Interesting comments regarding technique and economy of motion. I agree entirely that shredding does not lend its-self to ghost strumming in any meaningful way but that is the exception rather than the rule. In almost any other style the vast majority of notes ARE in the strum and the economy of motion is exactly what we are trying to achieve. More importantly we are trying to stop people playing the melody with their right hand. When you listen to any beginner guitarist you hear, and see, them trying to play the beat of the melody with their right hand instead of the beat of the rhythm. This primarily what I am getting at. How many guitarists have you played with that can sit by themselves and bang away at something with the complete belief that they are playing in-time but as soon as you put them with other players they are completely inept?. I am not saying that you HAVE to stay in the strum (I thought I made that clear by the "knowing the rules before you can break them" comment) but you should always have the rhythm ticking away in your head. In this context, your comment about the 16ths is misleading. I understand your comment about not everyone "needing" to use this method. And that is true, We don't, but the majority of players both beginner and experienced can benefit greatly from this exercise. Can you explain to me how you have helped by simply advocating that "You and your shred friends" don't need to do this! and then not offering any alternative other than "If you want any pointers, just email me"?

Now!!! Shall we have a little look at the "shred" fraternity for some harmless piss-taking! :)
Rule 1 - "Play it as fast as possible", this is what is described as a "skill unencumbered by art", Very difficult to master and takes years to perfect, but has not been known to evoke any emotion other than "Yeeeeea Rock Maaaaaaan". This also seems limited to the 12 to 22 (single) male demographic. (Admittedly F***k'n great fun to play :))
Rule 2 - "T-Shirts with demons, skulls and general mythical demonic themes", All good and well, but unfortunately common sense dictates that if you believe in this stuff then you also have to believe in the "Sugar Plumb Fairy" and the "Trolls" under the bridge (all paid-up member of the mythical family).
Rule 3 - "Shout about the terrible injustices of life", Whilst playing a $3000.00 LTD, through a $2200.00 AxeII, into a $4000.00 Mesa with a paltry $750.00 MFC. Let's not go past the fact that there are only two reasons a grown man should ever raise his voice A) Sport B) Children. Any other reason puts you into the B category.

Sorry Guy's, Had to have a little poke :) Feel free to respond!!!

my suggestion is that you start a new thread giving all beginner players all this great advice (and it is good advice) but not hijacking the OP's thread on a certain patch tone. the OP was gracious responding to your advice, but, in the end, he wasn't asking for advice on his technique.

Hi bjjP2

Thank you for accepting my comments in good grace, it is the marking of a real man or woman.

Rock On :)

Regards Simon

A woman who would accept criticism in good grace is not 'real' ..... believe me!! It might not be immediate .... but revenge will be hers! :)

To preface, for the OP -- thanks for taking the time to post your recording. First and foremost this was to showcase the TONE of the guitar rig, not his performance... that being said.

To Simon:
"Ghost strumming"??? WTF is that??? Sounds like gibberish to me and I personally don't see any connection at all with "fake" playing the rhythm while worrying about lead parts. FWIW I think the timing on the BACKING TRACK was terrible. So the backing track was out of time and the lead playing timing was also shakey = recipe for timing problems to say the least.
So start with that... get a simple, professional quality backing track that is dead on rock solid. FWIW I rarely play with backing tracks (should do it more often to help playing over changes and such) but backing tracks mean OTHER PEOPLE have done the rhythm work for you... not good for learning how to play in rhythm.
Get yourself a metronome or play to a click and DON'T PLAY LEAD (unless your point is just to noodle) until you are competently playing rhythm guitar. So many people have jumped right over competent rhythm playing to go straight for the lead guitarist thing, they miss all the fundamentals of music in general. Rhythm guitar playing is becoming a lost art... Listen to guys like Pete Townsend, Andy Summers, hell even EVH was an incredible RHYTHM guitarist for rock!
Also, LISTEN to a lot of music and a lot of diverse styles... you can learn by Osmosis on your off time.
And when it gets down to it, have fun. Not everyone plays guitar to be the best (or even get better). Some people play for stress relief, killing time, as a third or fourth hobby, etc... if practicing becomes work than you'll lose interest.
My 2 cents.

"Now!!! Shall we have a little look at the "shred" fraternity for some harmless piss-taking!" -- I am not a "shredder" by any stretch of the imagination. Do you know why many people don't like players who can "shred" (ie. play fast, hopefully technically proficient)? Because their jealous! The best "shredders" I know were willing to put in COUNTLESS hours of practing over, over and over again to get their chops up to speed as it were. By shredders I'm talking about Vai, DiMeola, Eric Johnson, Satriani, etc... I can play, I have been told I have some emotion in my playing, but I can't shred... mainly because I'm LAZY like 99.9% of the guitarist I know. I wasn't dedicated enough to start playing scales and passages at a snails pace (which is what is required and more good advice for the OP) cleanly, evenly and articulated and slowly over much hard work build that into the speed a lot of these players develop, who you so condescendingly dismiss as "shredders".
Sorry Simon, bad form on your part.

EDIT: I fully expect a reply where you will draw a definitive line between players who "shred" because they have to and those great players who could but choose not to because they are "above that" lol.

Last edited:
How about starting a Technique and theory section?

It would be great to have the better players share and teach us lesser players some techniques and theory and application, since most of us have not had the chance to learn from some of the greats or go to Berkley. It would be much appreciated to have different folks on different levels do clinics or mini lessons here on the site if Fractal would ok it. Just a suggestion. Also maybe some pro tips for us to all learn from, be it Technique or Theory or recording practices and techniques. What do you say guys/gals???

This sounds better to me. I know how it can be trying to put something down, sometimes quick to get a sound across or to share. Some people could be more tactful at addressing others playing too. I would maybe try applying a tad more space in places, but you are making progress for sure :) Sometimes less is more, maybe play a longer sustained note, try changing pick attack in places, like you having a conversation etc. a little variety in the timing like starting a little late or early but in time with the beat like Simon (is this the guy that used to be a judge on American Idol) suggested. If you have multiple pickups, try switching between them for more tone-ful colors. After a while your creativity comes way up as you have in this newer posted clip! :^) Please take this as suggestions or possibilities/tools at your fingertips nothing was wrong that you did here, great job!
The tone was awesome as well!

Last edited:
Simon, it would be great if you would post a clip with some technique and share how to play it as you did about the metronome, I am guilty myself of not using one more like I should. I know what it has done for John Petrucci and others. I always love to learn new things like this, I had a teacher in Sacramento once that was always teaching us new ways of playing and he was great at helping me work on my weak points, that's how we grow. Perhaps you could do a mini lesson in theory/technique here, I think it would be great for the better players to share their knowledge and techniques with us lesser players. Also tips on setting up the Axe and some recording advise from those with experience would be awesome. Not give all your hard earned secrets up but a tip here and there would be generous! We appreciate your honesty and helpful criticism.

simon shouldn't have posted a critique like that w/ out posting an audio example as well.

or anyone else for that matter. if you're really gonna bring someone down like that at least offer some constructive criticism w. an audio example as well. just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom