Lead boost level issue?

pneil2

Inspired
Ok guys,

I've got an odd issue. I play at a couple different places where I run direct into the board. I have a wireless IEM system in my rack so I just run in ears.

I have a boost filter on all my patches, just a null filter with a gain boost of around 4 db. In a couple of places the boost works as advertised, giving me just enough punch to get my leads heard without depending on the sound man. In one venue, the lead boost is incredibly loud. Way over the top. The lead tones are too loud and seem to be clipping.

It seems like it's related to the gain levels being set at the board. My output levels are quite a bit higher at the places where everything "works". At the place where the boost is too loud I'm barely turned up at all, seems like they're using a lot more input gain on the board. Their sound man isn't so experienced and doesn't seem to understand signal to noise levels or pads. It's also a new whizbangodyne digital board, so everything is on menus and sub menus and sub sub menus.

I'm just a bit surprised that there's that much difference. I would have expected it to be more linear.

Any experience/advice?

Thanks in advance...

I would use the vu meter when setting the volume (without boost) to be right at 0 db, then a 4 db boast would be well within the clipping area. However, thats in the axe fx, theres no way the axe can stop an idiot from maxing out the fader on his end.

I would bet that the venues you are clipping/ loud at are not padding you. They don't understand that you need to be input like a keyboard, that's why you have to turn way down at the Axe and it still clips.

This is why I always carry a DI just in case. Soundmen can be hard to teach at times so I alleviate the problem by being able to pad myself and save the aggravation of trying to educate them. Like my momma always said, ya can't always fix stupid.

Last edited:
I would use the vu meter when setting the volume (without boost) to be right at 0 db, then a 4 db boast would be well within the clipping area. However, thats in the axe fx, theres no way the axe can stop an idiot from maxing out the fader on his end.

Patches already leveled and set at reasonable ranges.

I would bet that the venues you are clipping/ loud at are not padding you. They don't understand that you need to be input like a keyboard, that's why you have to turn way down at the Axe and it still clips.

This is why I always carry a DI just in case. Soundmen can be hard to teach at times so I alleviate the problem by being able to pad myself and save the aggravation of trying to educate them. Like my momma always said, ya can't always fix stupid.

I thought about this just today, and I do usually keep a di in my bag. Just never occurred to me before since (with a little common sense) there should never be a need for it with the Axe. I'll try it next time.

It happened to me at a couple festivals (fairly big ones, where you'd think they'd know how to work the gear) a year or so ago. Told the sound techs a dozen times to pad it, they just couldn't get the concept. At one show I just went up into the sound booth and did it myself, which really pissed the guy off, but he couldn't argue with me as it "fixed the problem". Soon after bought a Radial and keep it in the tool rack drawer. Knock on wood, haven't had to use it since I got it. :)

you can turn the front output down also. if you think it is clippin and the foh guy(person) aint helping try turning it down and they can bring you backup. I run my front output pretty low for foh like 9:00 sometimes less>

From your description, maybe you are being patched into a microphone input with a microphone preamp?

If so, there might not be enough headroom at the board. Leveling your preset internally in the Fractal won't affect this problem.

You either have to plug into a line level input, pad the output, or turn the front panel output way down.

Does it have the same effect as "adding a DI and pad the signal (-15db)" (with a Radial engineering JDI for example)?

It does, but just use your DI and don't jack with the global EQ volumes. That'll just mess you up when you don't need the volume drop at "intelligent venues" but forget you changed the Global volume- then you'll be at a show wondering why you have the output dimed but aren't loud enough. :)

Back
Top Bottom