Lead boost - anyone use a drive for this?

Constantly, when I need a sound different from or in addition to just turning the amp drive up. King of tone, klon, TS, fuzz face, etc, depending on the sound I'm going for. I have different boosts on each channel of the drive 2 block that I can cycle through by holding the per-preset footswitch I have assigned to bypass drive 2. I do have the amp input boost assigned to a control switch assigned to the hold function of my "amp drive" per preset footswitch but I rarely use it.

I read through this, thinking that the OP was talking about being louder for leads. Just figured out that this is about gain, rather than volume.
I play live. I actively use my guitars' volume and tone controls. Years and years with amplifiers. My ongoing struggle, has been achieving the same type of control with modeling. I have tentatively settled on a back-up system in with Blocks Out1 (FOH) and Out2 (stage QSC+guitar cab) volume controls. I have no way to know if this is the right approach. The other I'm trying is a Filter block, flat and +3.5dB, prior to room fx. If there is another option, would be good to know.

Last edited:
Lots of great ideas to try. Yes it’s volume, but also a gain type appropriate for the genre I’m in. Generally either cleanish, eob, hard, or heavy. I’m clean I’d want volume and a bit more grit and sustain, but not the huge wailing banshee I’d want with heavier stuff. Seems like a drive2 and filter might be the best bet. (Drive1 is an almost always on klon)

Back
Top Bottom