Layouts: saving and importing into presets

hobbes1

Inspired
I’m unsure if this is normal behavior in the FM9. Say I tweak a preset with my own layouts and even throw in some Per Preset switch over rides. Now, I export those layouts with custom names.
Next, I build a new preset but decide I want it to have the same Custom layout(s) I just made and saved. I import the Custom layout into the FM9 new preset I made.
What I’m finding is that the Custom layout(s) does not populate the switches with the same functions and names as I saved from the original preset and the PP over rides come up blank. The PP over rides show up, but the definition of the over rides is Unassigned. This is super frustrating. Can this really be designed to force the user to program every single preset from scratch? What would be the purpose of import/export then?
I feel like I’m missing something key but just didn’t see it in the manual. Constructive input welcome. Thanks.

Per preset switch assignments are saved with the preset, not with the footswitch layout. The placeholders or overrides should be in the layout info, but not the specific assignments themselves.

Ok but what about the imported layout not working correctly. For example, Switch 7 I have assigned to go to Scenes layout and hold function is Effects layout. Switch 9 preset +1 switch 6, preset -1, etc. these don’t populate the same in a new preset as they do in a prior preset. I am not using PP over rides for those either.

Ok but what about the imported layout not working correctly. For example, Switch 7 I have assigned to go to Scenes layout and hold function is Effects layout. Switch 9 preset +1 switch 6, preset -1, etc. these don’t populate the same in a new preset as they do in a prior preset. I am not using PP over rides for those either.
A layout is global, except for any per Preset overrides.

Right. So, I'm wondering why my (previously saved) imported Layout doesnt function the same in different presets. Not using PP placeholders or over rides, either.
Are you certain you're on the same layout?

An exported layout should be identical when imported and thus should behave identically except whenever there are per-preset functions involved.

Do you possibly have layout links on your preset switches?

Right. So, I'm wondering why my (previously saved) imported Layout doesnt function the same in different presets. Not using PP placeholders or over rides, either.
You are asking us to imagine your layout and what you have done. Instead export all your layouts and your preset and append them to your original question so we can see exactly what you have done. Without that we are guessing.

What is it instead of what you described? Are you sure you’re comparing the same Layout numbers?

Are you certain you're on the same layout?

An exported layout should be identical when imported and thus should behave identically except whenever there are per-preset functions involved.

Do you possibly have layout links on your preset switches?
I would be on Preset #2 for example, and Layout #2. Then Export that layout (with a custom name) to a backup folder. Then I would go to say, Preset #5, Layout #2 and Import that Layout into the #2 slot. Same for Layout #3.
I have seen the Layout Links section on FM9 Edit, but I have not done anything with it (not intentionally, anyway). On page #16 of the Footswitch Functions Guide, it says that "FC Layouts are Global". So, I was thinking that if I modify and then save a Layout, I should be able to import that Layout into FM9 and have it be available across all presets. I now understand that the PP over rides and placeholders don't count in that and I get it. I didn't see a place that I could export/save PP assignments but maybe I've missed it somewhere in the manual or onscreen. It would be nice to be able to make some Global so they would populate across all presets.
Basically, what I'm trying to do is set up my preferred layout and then have all of my presets default to that, rather than necessarily having to program each preset, every time.

What is it instead of what you described? Are you sure you’re comparing the same Layout numbers?

For example, switch #7 should say Scenes but it will be blank. I made the Assignment Tap=select Scenes Layout and Hold= Effects Layout. Switch #8 should say Presets Layout but it doesn't. I'm going to go through it again later today and try to get some screen shots.

You are asking us to imagine your layout and what you have done. Instead export all your layouts and your preset and append them to your original question so we can see exactly what you have done. Without that we are guessing.

That was not my intention. It doesn't really matter, IMHO, what my Layouts say...it's just that when I export (save) them to a backup folder and import them into a new preset, in the same location, they don't translate the same. I understand that PP Switch over rides and placeholders will not translate. I don't understand why the rest of the Layout isn't translating appropriately. It "should" be an easy step to save and then import a single Layout or All Layouts and yet, that is not what I'm finding here.
What I was trying to find out is whether or not I am misunderstanding the fundamental nature of exporting/importing Layouts. To be more precise, can I expect to only be able to import a saved layout into the original spot from which I exported it for it to work correctly or can I expect that a saved Layout can be imported into any Layout in any Preset and it will work as I set it up in the original preset. Part of my question is solved re: PP has to be programmed in each preset.

I'm going to go through it again later today and if necessary, will append the info you suggested.

Thanks to all who have responded. I appreciate it.

I would be on Preset #2 for example, and Layout #2. Then Export that layout (with a custom name) to a backup folder. Then I would go to say, Preset #5, Layout #2 and Import that Layout into the #2 slot. Same for Layout #3.
I have seen the Layout Links section on FM9 Edit, but I have not done anything with it (not intentionally, anyway). On page #16 of the Footswitch Functions Guide, it says that "FC Layouts are Global". So, I was thinking that if I modify and then save a Layout, I should be able to import that Layout into FM9 and have it be available across all presets. I now understand that the PP over rides and placeholders don't count in that and I get it. I didn't see a place that I could export/save PP assignments but maybe I've missed it somewhere in the manual or onscreen. It would be nice to be able to make some Global so they would populate across all presets.
Basically, what I'm trying to do is set up my preferred layout and then have all of my presets default to that, rather than necessarily having to program each preset, every time.

For example, switch #7 should say Scenes but it will be blank. I made the Assignment Tap=select Scenes Layout and Hold= Effects Layout. Switch #8 should say Presets Layout but it doesn't. I'm going to go through it again later today and try to get some screen shots.

That was not my intention. It doesn't really matter, IMHO, what my Layouts say...it's just that when I export (save) them to a backup folder and import them into a new preset, in the same location, they don't translate the same. I understand that PP Switch over rides and placeholders will not translate. I don't understand why the rest of the Layout isn't translating appropriately. It "should" be an easy step to save and then import a single Layout or All Layouts and yet, that is not what I'm finding here.
What I was trying to find out is whether or not I am misunderstanding the fundamental nature of exporting/importing Layouts. To be more precise, can I expect to only be able to import a saved layout into the original spot from which I exported it for it to work correctly or can I expect that a saved Layout can be imported into any Layout in any Preset and it will work as I set it up in the original preset. Part of my question is solved re: PP has to be programmed in each preset.

I'm going to go through it again later today and if necessary, will append the info you suggested.

Thanks to all who have responded. I appreciate it.
If you've already saved the layout why are you "importing it on a preset"?

Again, layouts are Global. There's no need to do this... The layout is already there.

Layouts are not tied to presets. You are not importing into a preset. You are importing a global layout.

ALL layouts are global, it doesn't matter what preset you're on, it's the same set of layouts. You can save a layout for backup, but not to transfer the settings into another preset because they're already there because they're global, so stop saving and importing into individual presets thinking it's doing something because that's not how it's done.

In a preset you can define switch overrides that apply within that preset only, and they are stored within the preset, and they overlay the global layouts when you enter the preset. Theoretically you could override every switch in each layout, but you'd be giving up the power of global layouts and you'd be doing a lot of extra work. Instead, think of the effects you use most often and set up a global layout with those, and then add individual per-preset overrides to add other effects that are specific to that preset, which will result in a lot less work.

Typically I only override switches in my EFFECTS layout(s) as the preset and scene layouts take care of themselves nicely, but YMMV.

I'd HIGHLY recommend working with the default layouts and get to understand how they work before venturing out to modifying or creating layouts. The default and/or built-in OMG-type layouts are flexible; Use them, then try fixing some niggling detail.
It already does that. That's what "global" means.
Please don't use screen shots. Attach your "All layouts" export. The first are basically as useful as you drawing it on a napkin, and the second lets us see exactly what's going on and lets us adjust things to make them work if we see something wrong, or redo it if it can be improved.

Because you're not understanding the concept of global layouts and per-preset overrides. You don't "import" between presets, and nothing is "translated".

Yes, you're misunderstanding how they work, and you need to back up and start with the defaults, nose around inside them, then try making a minor change, see how it works across multiple presets because it's global, then try adding a per-preset override and see how it affects only a specific preset.

Fractal's layout system is really powerful, but it's a simple programming language talking to different devices, the foot controllers, which talk to the modelers. We have to understand presets, scenes, and channels and effects, to understand the layers and levels inside the layout manager. Jumping in and messing around with layouts without understanding those other things is going to lead to frustration.

Last edited:
If you've already saved the layout why are you "importing it on a preset"?

Again, layouts are Global. There's no need to do this... The layout is already there.

Layouts are not tied to presets. You are not importing into a preset. You are importing a global layout.

ALL layouts are global, it doesn't matter what preset you're on, it's the same set of layouts. You can save a layout for backup, but not to transfer the settings into another preset because they're already there because they're global, so stop saving and importing into individual presets thinking it's doing something because that's not how it's done.

In a preset you can define switch overrides that apply within that preset only, and they are stored within the preset, and they overlay the global layouts when you enter the preset. Theoretically you could override every switch in each layout, but you'd be giving up the power of global layouts and you'd be doing a lot of extra work. Instead, think of the effects you use most often and set up a global layout with those, and then add individual per-preset overrides to add other effects that are specific to that preset, which will result in a lot less work.

Typically I only override switches in my EFFECTS layout(s) as the preset and scene layouts take care of themselves nicely, but YMMV.

I'd HIGHLY recommend working with the default layouts and get to understand how they work before venturing out to modifying or creating layouts. The default and/or built-in OMG-type layouts are flexible; Use them, then try fixing some niggling detail.

Please don't use screen shots. Attach your "All layouts" export. The first are basically as useful as you drawing it on a napkin, and the second lets us see exactly what's going on and lets us adjust things to make them work if we see something wrong, or redo it if it can be improved.

Because you're not understanding the concept of global layouts and per-preset overrides. You don't "import" between presets, and nothing is "translated".

Yes, you're misunderstanding how they work, and you need to back up and start with the defaults, nose around inside them, then try making a minor change, see how it works across multiple presets because it's global, then try adding a per-preset override and see how it affects only a specific preset.

Fractal's layout system is really powerful, but it's a simple programming language talking to different devices, the foot controllers, which talk to the modelers. We have to understand presets, scenes, and channels and effects, to understand the layers and levels inside the layout manager. Jumping in and messing around with layouts without understanding those other things is going to lead to frustration.

While I appreciate your efforts to help me and the time you are taking to type it out, I think you might be missing the forest for the trees.
The whole reason for my confusion has been that the Layouts were not acting "globally" in my FM9. When I was modifying say, Layout #2 to what I wanted to see, it was not showing across presets. I thought, "ok maybe I need to export to backup and import to the new preset each time." Seems counter-intuitive but I'll give it a go. That didn't work either. RTFM, I was getting info that wasn't manifesting in my FM9. It just took some time to figure out that these issues were probably a symptom of a larger problem with my FM9. Read on,

Unknown to you, is that simultaneous to this "issue", I was also emailing with Fractal Customer Service about my FM9 having a seemingly faulty Output 3 R jack. After one Reset Parameters and all the other troubleshooting we were doing was not working to fix the problem, CS issued me an RMA to send back for service at their cost. On a whim, last night, I decided to backup my presets and do another Reset (both pushing the A button and the one that you push the C button, I forget what they are called). Then I set about going through with various items such as restoring one preset at a time and testing it; building a preset from scratch and testing it. Restoring the factory presets, etc.
What I am finding is that (hopefully) my issues are now resolved. The underlying problem seems to be that my FM9 was wonky. I am hoping that it's actually fixed now and that I don't have to send it in for any type of service.
Thank you for your time.

Greg,
I know what the definition of "global" is....whether you know it or not, you are coming off like a d-bag and not just in this thread I have started. If you can't stand interacting with someone who isn't as proficient with Fractal gear as you are, why don't you maybe consider playing more and helping less.
Personally, I've been using modelers for many years, including Fractal modelers, so I'm not coming in to this ice-cold. I've helped many people in the past with questions and I've been helped along the way many times. That is what these forums are about.
Peace
ALL layouts are global, so stop saving and importing into individual presets thinking it's doing something because that's not how it's done.

What I am finding is that (hopefully) my issues are now resolved. The underlying problem seems to be that my FM9 was wonky. I am hoping that it's actually fixed now and that I don't have to send it in for any type of service.
Thank you for your time.
Glad it's working now and that sounds like a logical explanation.

Without knowing those extra details I'm sure you can understand why we were having some confusion and trying to clarify that you were understanding the basic concepts :)

Greg,
I know what the definition of "global" is....whether you know it or not, you are coming off like a d-bag and not just in this thread I have started. If you can't stand interacting with someone who isn't as proficient with Fractal gear as you are, why don't you maybe consider playing more and helping less.
Personally, I've been using modelers for many years, including Fractal modelers, so I'm not coming in to this ice-cold. I've helped many people in the past with questions and I've been helped along the way many times. That is what these forums are about.
I'm not Greg and I'll let him speak for himself (but speaking for myself in the context of this comment) sometimes when you have limited information and the information you have isn't making sense and the person you're trying to help isn't giving an indication of how much they actually know (or not), you have to go "full remedial"...

That means sometimes asking very pointed and seemingly obvious questions or (re)explaining things that may already be understood by recipient.

The recipient might take those things as rude or as if they are being talked down to. In most cases, I think it's really just that as the one offering help we often have to assume the abilities of those we're trying to help.

Anyway, let's hope your issue is resolved!

Glad it's working now and that sounds like a logical explanation.

Without knowing those extra details I'm sure you can understand why we were having some confusion and trying to clarify that you were understanding the basic concepts :)

I'm not Greg and I'll let him speak for himself (but speaking for myself in the context of this comment) sometimes when you have limited information and the information you have isn't making sense and the person you're trying to help isn't giving an indication of how much they actually know (or not), you have to go "full remedial"...

That means sometimes asking very pointed and seemingly obvious questions or (re)explaining things that may already be understood by recipient.

The recipient might take those things as rude or as if they are being talked down to. In most cases, I think it's really just that as the one offering help we often have to assume the abilities of those we're trying to help.

Anyway, let's hope your issue is resolved!
Thank you for your time and explanation. I understand where you are coming from. That sort of perception, as I described, can really alienate people new to a device and/or brand. I've been around forums for 15 years so I have a thicker skin. Anyway, bygones are bygones.

My FM9 is boxed up with RMA for a replacement. It's still having problems. I'll give one more try and so here's hoping the next one is fully functional. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom