Launching Clips with Ableton Live using the Axe-FX and a G-System

do you know softstep von keith mcmillen...i am using it and works perfect....u can send 6 midi cc or pc msg same time with one button.

i was using g system to control ableton. u can do it, but as far as i can remember(dont have the g anymore)
u cant send pc and cc samt time same button. so the button u program to send cc wont have pc function anymorre
Exactly. I know this. You can program any button to send out MIDI signal, but those are the buttons inside the preset itself. The preset button (1 - 5) sends out MIDI as well, which enables me to switch presets on the G and the Axe. That works fine and perfectly. The tempo's are even synced via the tap button on the G-System.

I'm not entirely clear what you're trying to accomplish, but I know if you have the FCB1010 with the Uno chip, you can send PCs, CCs and Note messages all in one pop. You can also use a stompbox mode where 5 pedals are persistent. You could have the 5 persistent pedals be clip launches and the other 5 change patches or you could have patches change and clips triggering at the same time.

Don't know squat about G-system, but it seems like you could do it all via FCB1010 unless you need too many different triggers and/or patches.
What I'm trying to accomplish is eliminate one tap. Instead of having to change a preset via the G (which changes the preset of the G and the Axe) AND tapping a button on the FCB1010, I'd like to have it all in one.

I realize that, with a non-G-System setup, a uno modded FCB1010 would be the way to go, but seeing as the G-System controller is part of the unit (the rack and the controller are one and one won't function without the other) I can't go that way and don't want to either. I love the lay out of the G and the buttons as well.

i'm pretty sure the FCB can do it, but it has to be the "master controller" and not the limited g-system board.

i'm surprised the OP can't tell me how the FCB is connected and the entire setup. we can't help if we don't know what you're using.
Alrighty, here we go then:
Guitar -> G-System in (including 4 pedals) -> (Axe-FX FX loop -> G-System time-based effects) -> G-System Out -> Axe-FX input
MIDI: G-System MIDI Out -> 4x MIDI divider -> output 1 -> Axe-FX MIDI IN

When connected to the software rig:
MIDI Divider Output 2 -> MIDI 4x4 Hub In -> PreSonus FP10 MIDI In

FCB1010:
FCB1010 MIDI Out -> MIDI 4x4 Hub Input (take your pick B/C/D) -> PreSonus FP10 MIDI In

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what it comes down to is that the G-System is part of the rig and if I can change presets AND launch clips at the same time on preset change, it'll mean I can go down the road of deciding if I want to sacrifice G-System buttons (besides the preset ones) to send MIDI out on those buttons as well to launch additional clips. If I can launch on preset change and program additional MIDI triggers it'll mean that I can get rid of the FCB1010, which means I can leave an additional piece of gear at home. Seeing as I play guitar and keys and therefore have a larger setup than the others in the band, that would be a thing that would please me and the rest of the band.

cool thanks for taking the time to post that setup.

lemme think :)

ok i thought!

i'm wondering if there is something on the computer setup that can "translate" the MIDI PC message that changes presets into either a MIDI note or CC message to start a loop.

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

would that do it?

cool thanks for taking the time to post that setup.

lemme think :)

ok i thought!

i'm wondering if there is something on the computer setup that can "translate" the MIDI PC message that changes presets into either a MIDI note or CC message to start a loop.

Bome's Midi Translator - Bome Software

would that do it?
Yup!
If you check post 3 in this thread, I recommended that to myself, haha. I've known about Bome for a while, but I've never delved into it. I downloaded the free Classic version today and will try to see if I can make it work this week.

So, I've been toying around with Bome's and I've got it to work, partially ... Bome's not to blame, I think.
The G's preset switches all seem to send out the same CC15. Now I've enabled it to launch clips, but every preset button launches the same clip, since they all seem to send out the same message.

What now? Any suggestions?

So, guys, I wanted to get back to you with some good news. I downloaded Bome's MIDI Translator and got it to work.
You just capture the MIDI on the preset change and then select C0 22 (for instance), which is the PC message. You can then translate an outgoing message for that, a MIDI signal or even a keystroke.

So, for the ones ever being in the same situation I was:
- IT CAN BE DONE!

Back
Top Bottom