Latency Issues while recording

Pat M

hello,

I'm a new member to the forum, but I've used it as a visitor many times to resolve issues I've come across while using the Axe. I know there are a lot of skilled Axe users here, so I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions for my current issue.
I've recently upgraded from an Axe Fx 2 to the XL+. During recording in Pro Tools 12 I get a heavy doubling effect on the guitar track when record enabled. I've never had this problem before. I've adjusted the HW buffer size many times in PT, but it has no effect. I've also adjusted the USB buffer on the Axe, also with no effect.
Currently, I run the Axe from output 2 into my M-Track 8 interface then into PT 12. I XLR out of output 1 direct to M-Audio powered monitors. The mix dial on the interface helps with latency, but you have to dial it so far into the input side that you lose a lot of playback in the mix. This makes it difficult to monitor if you need to punch in some edits. Basically, the guitar is significantly louder than the rest of the mix. It's not a big deal if I'm recording the first pass of guitar because I can easily mute the track in PT, but again, if I need to punch in to fix a mistake I need to hear the playback and the latency is distracting.
I'm sure I'm missing something, because this never happened with the Axe 2 and I set it up exactly the same way. I even went as far as to swap out the M-Track w my next gen Mbox just to make sure it wasn't the interface. The Mbox had the same result.
I'm out of ideas at this point so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please see my system components below, and thank you in advance!

Axe Fx 2 XL+
Firmware: Q8.02
M-Audio: M-Track 8 USB interface
Pro Tools 12.8.1
Computer: Lenovo idea centre
AMD processor
Windows 10
12GB RAM
2TB HD plus two external 2TB HDs for PT session storage and backup
M-audio Bx8a powered monitors

I dont get it, are you monitoring the input of the interface and going direct to the monitors at the same time? Then you would have a doubling effect and it would probably be twice as loud.

@Pat M , have you tried using the playlist feature in Pro Tools instead of punching in? It's been a while since I've tried it, but IIRC you can listen to the main track, and then record different takes into a playlist within the track, and I believe you can mute those individual takes (and thus the monitored signal) independently from the main track, which would solve your problem. I can't remember if your arm each individual take for recording, or if you use the main "arming" button, but either way, Pro Tools realizes you're recording to the playlist and not the main track, and I'm almost certain it lets you mute them as well. I will try it when I get home if someone with more experience than myself hasn't provided a more certain answer.

Also, this is probably not the most efficient way, but you can simply cut out the part in the track you want to redo, then start a new track, record the new take, and then copy and past that new take back in the blank space you carved out in the original track.

I hope this helps! Like I said, I'll try that first solution tonight to see if it's viable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom