Latency after bypass, scene or program change

Niels Beier

I made a post yesterday, asking for help, since I thought the CPU load of my FX8 Mk1 was the issue.

Turns out it isn't.

My issue is, whenever I disengage an effect that isn't in the fx loop (have only tried reverb+delay in the loop), I'm getting a cut in signal from the moment I bypass an effect, to the moment my guitar signal returns.
(0,5 seconds is an overstatement really, but it's a noticeable loss of signal!).

Is there anything I can do? Any parameters I can change?

If my unit cuts my sound off for a split second every time i disengage a phaser, chorus, tremolo, vibe or drive-block, the FX8 is of no use to me...

I made a post yesterday, asking for help, since I thought the CPU load of my FX8 Mk1 was the issue.

Turns out it isn't.

My issue is, whenever I disengage an effect that isn't in the fx loop (have only tried reverb+delay in the loop), I'm getting a cut in signal from the moment I bypass an effect, to the moment my guitar signal returns.
(0,5 seconds is an overstatement really, but it's a noticeable loss of signal!).

Is there anything I can do? Any parameters I can change?

If my unit cuts my sound off for a split second every time i disengage a phaser, chorus, tremolo, vibe or drive-block, the FX8 is of no use to me...
If you upload a preset, someone can take a look. Simply bypassing/engaging effect blocks should not drop audio.

Here's an example. If I engage one of the modulation blocks, there's no stutter upon startup, however as soon as I go back to a scene with the block bypassed, it'll "stutter".

The Delay doesn't stutter though. Turning that on and off works like a charm.

Attachments

• THE END.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi Niels,

I've just tested and re-tested the FX8 phaser bypass and I'm definitely not hearing a stutter. To me, "stutter" would be one or more gaps in audio -- as if it can't st-st-start.

When I turn on the FX8 phaser in your preset, it sounds just like I would expect: the phaser engages and the effect is instantly heard with no gaps.

I thought I heard a tiny bump in level at the moment the effect engages, but I think this is a psychoacoustic effect: I recorded it and looks and sounds smooth.

I know that on the Axe-Fx, a failed USB connection can sometimes cause a stutter. Have you ruled out something like this?

It might help us to help you if you could post a recording of what you're hearing.

Please also let us know what your amp is. I'm testing with a Deluxe. @joe rogers tested with an Axe-Fx.

Last edited:
I suppose s-s-s-stutter isn't the right word.

It's as if I'm to say "Fractal Audio FX-8", but if I do so while changing scenes, preset or engaging/bypassing an effect, all I get is "Fractal A-o FX-8". You know?

No USB connection; I'm only editing right on the unit.

A recording might happen later tonight. I'll try.

Rig: FX-8 (Mk.1), 4-Cable-Method, Marshall JVM410hJS.

Are you also triggering a midi pc to the JVM ? I found that switching channels on the JVM via midi induce a small audio gap...

Back
Top Bottom