Last song of a gig?

Flopro

For the last few years we’ve played one song at the end of the set, every show, pretty much without fail!

Here’s a question though, I’m interested to know what has been your go to final song to play at a gig…? :D

Purple Rain. This is one of my "run out the clock" songs. If the band needs to go until a specific time I always save this for last because the outro can be played indefinitely with an extended solo, breakdown to introduce the band, big hits. Etc etc. Also, I'm more of a guitarist who can sing, not a singer who plays guitar. So rangewise it's not that tricky to sing, especially after a long night if you're doing multiple sets.

Also a slow song so tells the crowd "hey this is the end, last call etc."

Purple Rain. This is one of my "run out the clock" songs. If the band needs to go until a specific time I always save this for last because the outro can be played indefinitely with an extended solo, breakdown to introduce the band, big hits. Etc etc. Also, I'm more of a guitarist who can sing, not a singer who plays guitar. So rangewise it's not that tricky to sing, especially after a long night if you're doing multiple sets.

Also a slow song so tells the crowd "hey this is the end, last call etc."
Great song to end with. It's a versatile song in that it can be ended with a lot or little energy depending upon the mood.

Raining Blood - Slayer

Raining The Lost Boys GIF by GUNSHIP

jk :)

Many many many years ago used to end with a medley of stuff from Tommy, made into a Big Deal.

A Southern rock band I used to mix ended with Green Grass and High Tides, another Big Deal.

With my former tirbute band we often end with Manowar - Battle Hymns or Metallica - Seek and Destroy.
Now with actual band with own songs we try to set a grooving harder or fast song for the last one to not end the show with a balad or a slow song.

Currently for us it's Midnight Rendezvous. We do a breakdown in the middle that can be stretched or shortened as the clock dictates. We used to end with Don't Dream it's Over, but these days we prefer to end with something more upbeat and danceable. And that song always fills the dance floor.

We always end our first set with Comfortably Numb, because the solo at the end always gets the biggest crowd response of the night, so it's hard to immediately follow it with anything else.

We have two different approaches. For some venues we play an up tempo number chosen to suit the type of audience. For venues which have a problem with noisy crowds turning out into the street we play a cool down song such as Nina Simone’s Feeling Good

For our last song last night (a Home Sweet Home / Sister Christian mash-up), I found that even Beluga whales enjoy it.

Back when we used to pack places we would do a little 'bit' at the end of the night. The singer would say "We're going to going to play one more song. Our guitar player (me) will determine that song based on how loud you can be- so let him hear ya!!!"

The crowd would of course be super loud. I'd nod my head to indicate I had the perfect song in mind based upon the response. There were a few songs I'd break into. Sometimes it was More Than Words, but most of the time it was Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper. :tearsofjoy:

The crowd was not happy... but the regulars knew what was coming. After the chorus the drummer would start pounding out the beat to Down With The Sickness. We band members would look around like "What is he doing??". We'd finish out with that song. The place would erupt!

Back when we used to pack places we would do a little 'bit' at the end of the night. The singer would say "We're going to going to play one more song. Our guitar player (me) will determine that song based on how loud you can be- so let him hear ya!!!"

The crowd would of course be super loud. I'd nod my head to indicate I had the perfect song in mind based upon the response. There were a few songs I'd break into. Sometimes it was More Than Words, but most of the time it was Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper. :tearsofjoy:

The crowd was not happy... but the regulars knew what was coming. After the chorus the drummer would start pounding out the beat to Down With The Sickness. We band members would look around like "What is he doing??". We'd finish out with that song. The place would erupt!
Love it!

That's awesome.

Epic night…. Comfortably Numb
Night you can’t wait to be over. The Tubes Talk To You Later.

Always ended with a high-energy song. We did a medley of R.O.C.K. In The USA, into What I Like About You, then back. It always went over really well.

Back
Top Bottom