Larry Mitchell @ ShamRock School Of Music - Axe -FX

Thanks for posting this, Vince.

Matt (Matman), Daimen (Fractal's software engineer in charge coding Axe-PC and the editor), and I met up in Pompton Plains, NJ last night to catch Larry's clinic at ShamRock School of Music (a very nice facility with great instructors, students and staff). I brought along a stereo pair of Atomic’s final pre production samples of the Reactor FR for Larry to play through.

Larry was awesome! His playing was spot on. It was great to see him work his magic up close and personal. He covered a lot of territory from how he uses textures and effects as well as a combination of rhythm and lead tones to mix things up into his highly identifiable, cool style. He also spent lots of time answering questions about his gear, career and how he got into the business. I enjoyed hearing some of his cool road stories as well as a few about his Far Rockaway, NY roots growing up in a community that yielded several world class players including the likes of Steve Stevens.

Setup was super simple; we rolled in a couple of FRs, plugged into Larry’s Ultra’s L & R 1/2” outputs and that was it. His direct patches worked like a charm with no modification – he commented that the Reactor FR sounded and felt great and that if anything the response was closer to “flat” than the monitors he typically plugged into. We had the Reactors about 4’ apart and the spread sounded huge!

What you hear from Larry’s rig on the video was just the Ultra and Reactor FR, no other PA was used and no signal was sent direct to the recorder. Obviously, YouTube does no audio clip justice but I think we all know how to compensate by now. In the room it sounded fantastic!

Thanks to Larry for letting us plug him in and for being a great ambassador for the Axe-Fx all around the world!

This is like a Bigfoot sighting. I'll believe it when somebody delivers the carcass to my door. :lol: j/k

Larry can play a little!

Tom King said:
His direct patches worked like a charm with no modification
When you say 'direct patches', are we talking recording patches or tweaked for p.a. ? Recording patches would indeed be awesome :D

These patches weren't tweaked for a PA. They are able to be used live or for recording. At first, since he'd been accustomed to a different feel, Larry made some changes to the global EQ (reducing lows and highs). But after playing a bit during sound check, he flattened it back out!

Matman said:
These patches weren't tweaked for a PA. They are able to be used live or for recording. At first, since he'd been accustomed to a different feel, Larry made some changes to the global EQ (reducing lows and highs). But after playing a bit during sound check, he flattened it back out!
Interesting. I don't really mind that much tweaking patches for two different needs, but being able to use recording patches more or less straight with the Atomic sounds very good indeed.

Sounded incredible!

One question though.... what was that on the floor omitting blue lights? MFC perhaps?

Please forgive me for just now writing. Thank you Vince for setting up the whole thing and I mean the WHOLE thing. I was out of the country and Vince made it all happen. Thanks to Tom King for coming down with the new Fractal atomic FR amps. they sounded great. I plugged into them and did the clinic. everything worked great. I would love to spend some time with them and tweak my presets a little but it all worked. I had also just updated to 7.18 that day and had just tweaked a few of my presets before leaving for the clinic. Thank you Daimen and Mat (Matman) for coming down too. It was a pleasure meeting you, and Mat I look forward to picking your brain and your Ultra's brain soon.

The Clinic was a lot of fun. I was in the middle of some heavy jet lag from getting in from Sweden a few days before that it really helped that just about everyone asked me questions. If I had just played I might have gone into that nowhere land zone and who knows what would have come out. It was a really good clinic for me because of the interaction with everyone.

Warrior: The thing on the floor with Blue lights is and was a Liquid foot Jr. ( The jr is great!!) I got mine right before leaving on tour and it was absolutely great. Using it was easy, It took me a little bit of time to get use to the way you program things but I think that I have it together now. Then again I am not using it to its full or even near full potential yet. Jeff from Liquid foot spent a really nice amount of time with me on the phone helping me get set up. He says that he does that with every one when the first get their unit. But it was absolutely great tech support. He has been great to work with every time I've needed help! I have a few weeks off from anything but becoming a better player and learning and programming the Jr and really getting into the 7.18 update unless there is another update (I think there where 5 updates that came out while I was on the road :) ) I am loving 7.18 though I did a local show on Saturday night and that was my first time hearing it through a PA and it was really nice. I can't really say what the difference was in detail just that it seemed just more, bigger, deeper? back to the jr. It travels great. I went through airports in 6 countries with my Ultra, the Liquid foot Jr and an EV-5 expression pedal in a 2 space rag bag. with pretty much no hassle. They did take a look at the Ultra some times and sometimes the Jr. But I got on the plane with it and my guitar in a gig bag.
A nice side note about the Ultra was the no hassle auto detecting power. Finland was the only country that had a power converter just for me. In Norway I think we borrowed one from Alice cooper's crew and the rest of the festivals and all of the club and pre festival jam-sit in- radio station performances where just got and adapter/then power cable for the Ultra and used a small 220 to 110 adapter for the Jr and my wireless. I don't know If would have been able to use one of the little power converters for the Ultra if I had to. But I didn't need one for it anyway.

Tom brought down a prototype of the Fractal MFC and it looks like we all think it's going to be...... Great! I got to step on the switches which feel really nice. It looks like is laid out in a great way. I love my Jr. and will be traveling with it for sure but I am still waiting for the MFC to come out also. Different situations call for different gear.

As for using recording patches and live patches. my lead and specialty patches are the same for recording and live as for rhythm patches, because I produce other artists and different kinds of music I have some amp and cabinet only patches that I use for recording. I think its about 20 presets all with different amps for recording. The settings all depend on what the song calls for.

Thanks again to Vince for putting this on and putting up the video too.
Larry

Thanks Larry for such a detailed response! Your tone on that clip was to die for! Hope to take a look at the patch someday! ;)

However, as good as your tone is, your playing is even better. Love your playing my friend. Very inspirational.

Hey Larry! You're welcome and thanks for the "thanks"...... It was great to hang with you during the day before the clinic! All the work was well worth it... we had a great turnout and people had some great questions!!! Hearing you play is always awesome! I've been swamped this week with lessons & sessions so sorry I haven't gotten back & finally got another tune posted on YouTube! One more to go!

So everyone enjoy! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynfFF-AMSMk

Back
Top Bottom