Laptop vs Surface Pro

Does anyone use a surface pro for connecting your axe fx and running axe edit? Im in the market for a new laptop but damn Mac's are $$$$$ and the surface pro looks like a good deal.

I use a surface pro 7 for FM9 edit and to run OBS at rehearsal. No real complaints about it if it's got the in and outs you need.

Yes I did. I use a 7 port hub, as well as both USB busses so that I can get cheap HDMI converters to work with my cameras and OBS. The hub handles an audio interface, one camera via USB and one HDMI converter. The USB c port gets another cheap HDMI converter for another camera.

Between my wife and I, we have owned three different Surface Pro units. I simply love the form factor and got used to the small screen. I personally believe it's the coolest hardware available, period. Maybe not quite as slick as Mac, but damn cool.

However, out of three Surface Pros owned over the course of 7 years, two of them have had keyboard failures (the very cool Surface Type Cover), one had a terminal mini-display port failure, and one had crazy stupid driver issues forcing complete resets and Windows reinstallation. In short, I love the surface pro, but I also hate it with a passion and have vowed "never again". Next spring, I'll seriously start researching 13" laptops (with a heavy heart).

I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, and this data point is unsolicited, but I would have wanted to know.

Anyone else with Surface Pro experience good or bad? (I'll resist the urge to ask for 13" laptop recommendations, though it might also interest the original poster)

Does anyone use a surface pro for connecting your axe fx and running axe edit? Im in the market for a new laptop but damn Mac's are $$$$$ and the surface pro looks like a good deal.
I had a Surface Pro for a while (from Costco) and had ongoing issues with the keyboard not working. Replaced once, and the replacement keyboard didn't work either, then fortunate to get a full refund. Bought a refurbished Macbook with M1 chip for close to the same price, and it's been fantastic and absolutely no issues. So happy to have been able to switch the Surface Pro out.

I had a Surface Pro for a while (from Costco) and had ongoing issues with the keyboard not working. Replaced once, and the replacement keyboard didn't work either, then fortunate to get a full refund. Bought a refurbished Macbook with M1 chip for close to the same price, and it's been fantastic and absolutely no issues. So happy to have been able to switch the Surface Pro out.
Oh man, here I am hijacking the thread again, but, how much adaptation is it to switch to the weird Apple paradigm if you've been on Windows forever?

Last edited:
Oh man, here I am hijacking the thread again, but, how much adaptation is it to switch to the weird Apple paradigm if you've been on Windows forever?
I don't know, I've gone the other way. 20+years of Apple and picked up a surface because I thought I'd try the dark side out. The surface pro serves its purpose, but I also had to exchange it twice due to hardware failures. It's okay but it's a far cry from the stability and build quality of Apple.

Way more intuitive IMO. Great for audio, no messy drivers etc to deal with.
Way more intuitive is totally user dependant.

My first commercial computer was an Apple 2e, but I haven't had one in years, and I can't ever find or do literally anything on any Apple device without lots of futzing around. Simple stuff like no back button, no save and cancel buttons. Those are dumb examples off the top of my head, but really, I find Apple stuff counterintuitive and user hostile.

What you're familiar with is easy. Yes you can learn The Apple Way. It might even come naturally to you. It doesn't to me.

After more than 25 years on Windows--and a few of those working as a tech on Windows machines--I switched to Mac, and I'm so happy I did. I find everything just works so much better, more reliably. To me it felt like moving to a more modern house in a better neighborhood with less crime. As far as the transition goes, yeah, some things are different, but I watched a few videos, did a web search when I ran into a problem, and adapted pretty easily. I still find myself hitting Control-V to paste instead of Command-V sometimes, a few minor things like that. But it's only been a matter of months. There is software available to change that, but I'd rather fully adapt, and I'm confident I will. I don't feel like there are that many big differences, and most of what is different makes more sense to me on Mac. I'd fully rather deal with adapting to a different keyboard shortcut, or whatever, than the weird technical problems that plague most of the Windows machines I've ever owned. It's been well worth the effort (and price difference) for the return in usability and peace of mind, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom