Kudos! The virtual capo is seriously great.

The Virtual Capo really is awesome. In my cover band, both guitar players and the bassist use Fractal gear, and it's amazing how much the pitch block opens up our setlist. We don't have to have an "Eb" block of songs anymore, or a "Full D" block. No awkward guitar switching moments on stage. We can make the setlist flow a lot better this way.

axe fx 2 pitch block is not comparable to one on 3, axe 3 got major improvements in firmware 12 i think. And now some tracking improvement again in 17beta
So far its been superb for high gain metal pitch shifting for me im on 16.05 , even large shifts, unnoticeable in my case. I donot even feel any latency unlike many people on this forum even at large volumes even if technically there is certainly some small latency, and in a mix in most cases no one can make it out you are using the capo.

there are some flutter issues when pitch shifting clean if you hold chords but still way better than what's on axe fx 2.
can you share your tracking settings? esp. the pitch tracking...my goal to reduce any latency as much as possible...
thank you
m.

can you share your tracking settings? esp. the pitch tracking...my goal to reduce any latency as much as possible...
thank you
m.
leave tracking on 5 , the lower it is the better the latency is , but you get more artifacts, i keep it at 5. Keeping it 10 will lead to more latency but better smoothness, so 5 is the sweet spot for the best tone, choose fast tracking option.

The most important thing is place virtual capo first in the signal chain. or atleast before amp ,drive other pedals, i personally use it immediately after input block for best results .
You dont have to mess any other settings.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone uses the virtual capo in this way, but for lead type stuff I can easily get away with dropping it 5-7 steps with no problem if I leave the pitch tracking on fast and setting the tracking to 10. Maybe its just me, but I find I get less latency/artifacts and it still sounds great compared to smooth pitch with a lower tracking.
i play mostly rhythm stuff, for me on 10 tracking, i dont like the sound as much as i like it on 5 , i used to do 10 initially but then i changed it. I do anywhere, between +3 to -12. i ofcourse modify some amp parameters and eq as per the shift to take out some unwanted stuff.

leave tracking on 5 , the lower it is the better the latency is , but you get more artifacts, i keep it at 5. 10 will lead to more latency but better smoothness, so 5 is the sweet spot for the best tone, choose fast tracking option.

The most important thing is place virtual capo first in the signal chain. or atleast before amp ,drive other pedals, i personally use it immediately after input block for best results .
You dont have to mess any other settings.
thank you sir! very much appreciated:cool:👍

I'd say it also depends on what you're playing, i.e., the type of musical passage. Let's say you're playing a clean, arpeggiated portion, in which a bit of latency wouldn't necessarily be bad, as it could be akin to playing slightly behind the beat. In that case, I'd rather have less artifacts.
And don't forget, for leads, you could just transpose that part of the song, and turn off the VC for as long as you don't go lower than the notes available to you.

Note that you can also use the Virtual Capo to shift the pitch of the source material, instead of the guitar.

Connect your smartphone or tablet to an input on the Fractal using a patch cable, insert the VC between IN and OUT and adjust the pitch.

I recently messed with the VC to go down 5 semi tones. The opening track (A World Away) on Mark Tremonti's newest solo release uses a open G#5 tuning. I grabbed a guitar that was tuned to open C#5 and turned on the VC. Sounded just like the open chugs on that song. Pretty amazing!

Back
Top Bottom