KRK V8s

jdurso

I have been reading this forum up and down trying to find monitors that are both recommended by current Axe users and that fit into my budget. Right now I have it narrowed down to the KRK Rokit 8s (with no sub) or the Rokit 6s (with a sub). I then noticed on the Axe Wiki that the KRK V8s are recommended so i started doing a little research and one thing i cannot find is how they compare with KRKs current production models. Are the V8s closer to the Rokit 8s or VXT 8s? I would assume the VXTs since both use the Kevlar Woofer and have similar power.

Also while I'm throwing that question out there... will I get enough bass response out of the Rokit 8/V8/VXT8 to not have to get a sub? Or would it be beneficial to get a sub like I'm planning if I went for the Rokit 6s? I'm having a tough time recording without experiencing clipping and while i do attribute some of that to still learning the ropes of recording, part of it has to do with dialing in patches that most likely have too much bass in the first place which can be attributed to doing all my monitoring very headphones instead of a decent set of monitors.

The Rokits have Kevlar woofers, too, BTW.

I debated between the Rokit 8s and 6s as well. It was recommended here on this forum that I go with the 6s and get the sub. I did get the 6s and I'm quite impressed compared to my JBL LSR28P monitors. They do need the sub for deeper bass extension, but they do quite well for being 6" woofers.

> will I get enough bass response out of the Rokit 8/V8/VXT8 to not
> have to get a sub?

Only if you are aware of the limited bass response and mix appropriately.

Something I'm really impressed with is the width of sweet spot. The frequency response of these G2 Rokits really holds up well as you move off-axis.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12678

- John

Thanks for the response John. I have been leaning towards the 6s + a sub since i have the room for it. I guess the only thing left for me to decide is if the VXTs are worth the extra $ over the Rokits and whether 8s+sub would do more for me than 6s+sub.

I had a pair of KRK's V8 and as far as mixing, they gave me ear fatigue after an hour of mixing , I traded them for Dynaudio BM6A with their S9 subwoofer and I can mix for a long time with out ear fatigue. I thought the KRK's mids sounded nasty compared to the BM6A which sounds smoother. It became more apparent when I had a studio build for me with the acoustics tweaked, that's when I made the decision to get rid of them. The BM6A are much more detailed, I can hear things I never heard on the KRK's.

I have a little question for people who use these monitors with a separate sub. How do you calibrate the sub to get the appropriate bass for the monitor's level, so that you don't get too much bass or too little? That is, making the whole range as flat as possible when having two different level controls, one for the monitors and one for the sub.

I have the KRK Rokit 6's. I don't find the need for a sub. Plenty of bass response for my use there. They are quite flat, owing to being reference monitors, and reveal a lot about what's going on in the top end that a sound reinforcement speaker, like those used in PA's or wedge monitors, do not. I'd been recording and mixing with a cheap pair of M-Audio "monitors". Tones on the Axe that sounded really nice through them had a ton of nasty high end crap revealed through the KRK's. You get your tones and mix right on these speakers and you'll be happy with the results elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom