Kreisberg's 'The South Of Everywhere' Intro

I've become a fan of Jonathan Kreisberg and wanted to develop a preset for the intro of The South Of Everywhere. I am kind of a newbie at this. The transcription I found says "played with volume swells and delay set to quarter-note triplets". I am assuming it's possible, I guess I am kind of lost as where to start. This is the YouTube video for anyone interested:

Yes that is a nice effect! I think all he has going is a multitap delay (aside from his great guitar tone) - it sounds to me like he has his delay set up to create TWO repeats. You can hear towards the end when he gets out of the motif where you hear da-da-da So the first da is his initial chord he picks, and the other two da's are the echos. I fooled around and got pretty close with this setting of the Axe's parallel delay
Kreisberg Delay.jpg Delays 3 and 4 (not shown) are set to LEVEL = 0 because all you need is two delays. The first delay is 100% to get the "slap back" effect. I initially had the second delay set to 100% level but it sounded better to me at about 30%. But now I think it probably should be higher - you will have to tweak that a bit, I think 60% is better - but the 1st delay is definitely 100% to my ear. I think he is also using a compressor in his main guitar tone. I thought the first delay was about at 320 ms, but you might tweak that a bit too. THe second delay should be twice the first. As I think about it, it probably would have been better to use the series quad delay - then you would only need to set the first time

DELAY NOTE: You could get by with just one delay since he is using it as a slap back- but since Kriesberg uses two, why not put it in

PLAYING NOTE: There are lots of videos on youtube of people showing how to play with a slapback delay. Essentially what you do is you pick the first note, the delay does the second note, then you come in with the third note equally spaced from that second note.

What ever happened to Jonathan Kriesberg? He used to come out with albums every couple of years, then he just faded away. He has so many great albums - Trioing was my favorite...

Yes that is a nice effect! I think all he has going is a multitap delay (aside from his great guitar tone) - it sounds to me like he has his delay set up to create TWO repeats. You can hear towards the end when he gets out of the motif where you hear da-da-da So the first da is his initial chord he picks, and the other two da's are the echos. I fooled around and got pretty close with this setting of the Axe's parallel delay
View attachment 50424 Delays 3 and 4 (not shown) are set to LEVEL = 0 because all you need is two delays. The first delay is 100% to get the "slap back" effect. I initially had the second delay set to 100% level but it sounded better to me at about 30%. But now I think it probably should be higher - you will have to tweak that a bit, I think 60% is better - but the 1st delay is definitely 100% to my ear. I think he is also using a compressor in his main guitar tone. I thought the first delay was about at 320 ms, but you might tweak that a bit too. THe second delay should be twice the first. As I think about it, it probably would have been better to use the series quad delay - then you would only need to set the first time

DELAY NOTE: You could get by with just one delay since he is using it as a slap back- but since Kriesberg uses two, why not put it in

PLAYING NOTE: There are lots of videos on youtube of people showing how to play with a slapback delay. Essentially what you do is you pick the first note, the delay does the second note, then you come in with the third note equally spaced from that second note.

What ever happened to Jonathan Kriesberg? He used to come out with albums every couple of years, then he just faded away. He has so many great albums - Trioing was my favorite...
I just recently got turned onto him from one of my teachers. Yeah, he is a superb player. Love his phrasing, he's pretty sick. Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out.

Back
Top Bottom