kostein's Axe FX II Firmware 12 High Gain Showcase (28 amp models) & Metal presets

kostein - there's quite a big difference i can hear between the unprocessed tracks and the processed tracks. can you please outline what you did? ta!
Possibly share your Ozone preset ?
Ozone plays a major role on how my mixes sound. The thing is that, if the mix is not up to par, no mastering wizardy will save it. I could share the preset I used but then again it probably won't sound as good as you might expect because of the way you mix.

One of my next projects I'm thinking of doing is a mini-series on how I forge thy metal. I haven't really figured out how to go about it yet but the general idea is to start from the basics, like how I go about dialing a guitar/bass tone, and then slowly run you through more advanced stuff, like how I record, do drums, mix & master. It will probably be a while before I start on it though since I kinda wanna take a break after finishing this :cat:

by far the best gear demo I EVER saw on youtube! U RAWK! :encouragement: (I say this as a non-metal guitarist - it's a pleasure to watch, absolutely awesome!!! :eagerness: )
Wow! That coming from a non-metal guitarist, thank you! It really means a lot to me that even guitarists who don't play metal can appreciate this.

NIce work, great production and thought the intermission bit was hilarious. Now can someone please do one on low gain amps and then one on effects to make the ultimate buyers guide. hehehe
I could give the low gain amps a shot but people will probably wonder if it's a low gain amp demo or not :lol

For everyone who downloaded the presets, here's a few of questions for you, just out of curiosity. How do they sound through your setup? Do they need tweaking to sound good? Which ones you like most? Which ones you like least? I'm really curious to hear how different they will sound to someone with a totally different playing style than me.

Btw I uploaded the SD2.0 preset yesterday for those who were looking for it. I kinda forgot to do that :lol
Hey kostein ! thanks again for the great work !
I just tried your preset on my setup (DiMarzio & EMG equiped guitars, respectively 7 and 6 strings).
But a strange thing occured, all your presets clipped a lot on my setup (my general level is at 0db), i had to lower each preset by 6db.
Strange, no ? I don't think a different guitar could explain that.

most were fine with mine but a few clipped. It will just be the output of the individual guitar. This isnt really a big deal is it? turning the level down is a fairly easy fix!

Yo Kos your box is full... ( he he) but to answer your question your presets run into CLR's are pretty tight. I'm really excited to dive deep this week now that I'll have more time. All I've tweaked so far is volume and they sound sweet...a couple of em sound like I would goose the gain a CH but an awesome starting point for me to learn a lot about the untapped potential inside the Axe II when creating presets. I can't thank you enough and I hope the other guys here are contributing to the bass guitar fund! :encouragement:

Well, Ive been using your presets as starters, they are prob. great for 7 string emg's and in the mix; I have found I need more treble, way more gain (ironically but again stand alone), and less master. Ive never seen master cranked so much on these high gain amps. again thanks for your hard work and contribution.

graphics-beavis-and-butthead-767802.gif

dooooowwww, da da, da dun, da dada dun dun

effing brilliant

seriously man...amazing job!

I have to reply to this just to see if the avatars are in sync!
that's my earworm for the rest of the day!

Kostein, you know you look like Jack Black?
With a beard.

The intermission is hilarious!

I wonder what those tissues are for, inbetween the studio monitors...?

allergies? ps Ive mentioned the JB thing before, as in "the greek jack black" , he and that gear reviewer on (same voice as jb) youtube!

Hey kostein ! thanks again for the great work !
I just tried your preset on my setup (DiMarzio & EMG equiped guitars, respectively 7 and 6 strings).
But a strange thing occured, all your presets clipped a lot on my setup (my general level is at 0db), i had to lower each preset by 6db.
Strange, no ? I don't think a different guitar could explain that.

They all clip because I have my master volume at -6db. I have to raise the preset volume to compensate. I lowered it to -6db because all of my presets were clipping after a firmware update (I think it was 9 or 10) and totally forgot about it. I put up a "warning" on the presets page so people know that they're gonna be loud and clipping.

<stupid question>
What is a 'fret wrap'?
</stupid question>
It's used to mute the strings, like putting a cloth or a sock around the neck so the strings don't ring out, but in a fancier way. I use them to mute the strings after the nut.

Yo Kos your box is full... ( he he) but to answer your question your presets run into CLR's are pretty tight. I'm really excited to dive deep this week now that I'll have more time. All I've tweaked so far is volume and they sound sweet...a couple of em sound like I would goose the gain a CH but an awesome starting point for me to learn a lot about the untapped potential inside the Axe II when creating presets. I can't thank you enough and I hope the other guys here are contributing to the bass guitar fund! :encouragement:
Thanks again man. Much appreciated! I wish I could play through your rig and hear the differences. Also a big big thank you to everyone who contributed to the fund!

Well, Ive been using your presets as starters, they are prob. great for 7 string emg's and in the mix; I have found I need more treble, way more gain (ironically but again stand alone), and less master. Ive never seen master cranked so much on these high gain amps. again thanks for your hard work and contribution.
Haha more gain it's where it's at! :) I guess if you're playing through a guitar with lower output pickups you might wanna up the gain a bit.

Great job man.

One question what is your chain like. Do you use a single amp chain or do you use two identical chains to record the amp?

What I mean is do you just use amp 1 for each amp that you have recorded here or have you used amp1 and amp2 ?

Loving the Marshall AFD100... normally I lean towards other hi gain amps but this is sounding killer. Also the Mesa patches cuz personally I haven't had too much success so far dialing them in so this will be a huge help to me!

Great job man.

One question what is your chain like. Do you use a single amp chain or do you use two identical chains to record the amp?

What I mean is do you just use amp 1 for each amp that you have recorded here or have you used amp1 and amp2 ?

Just one amp per preset. If you look at the presets it's just one amp block there. I use the same preset for both guitar tracks.

I've tried blending tones a long time ago and you can get good tones out of it but I never delved too deep into it.

Just one amp per preset. If you look at the presets it's just one amp block there. I use the same preset for both guitar tracks.

I've tried blending tones a long time ago and you can get good tones out of it but I never delved too deep into it.

Awesome so that means you're pretty much doing it like how its done with analog gear,just one amp. That's great,everything sounds awesome man.

Thanks a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom