Koln Concert reverb?

abhijitnath

I'm trying to do a solo clean electric guitar version of Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert. I've got the tonality right, but just can't get the reverb right at all. It's a really long reverb sound, but very warm sounding despite it. I'm getting a harsh sort of sound as I keep increasingly reverb time and mix (am using a large cathedral), and some sort of high frequency hash. Could anybody who's heard the original help? Thanks!
Edit: I have the Ultra.
Also, any other tips for getting a piano-esque (without going down the synth route) sound with a Les Paul would be most appreciated.

Try a hall reverb instead and pay close attention to your early reflections. As far as piano sound from a LP, i haven't a clue. Playing anything off of Koln is a bold undertaking, good luck and holla back.

abhijitnath said:
any other tips for getting a piano-esque (without going down the synth route) sound
Not that I have a tip, but do you mean a real guitar synth or the Axe's synth?
In any case, I'd still like a Fender Rhodes sound out of our Axe synth :p

I can also sympathize w wanting to hear a space instead of a "working reverb", as a matter of speaking...

Yup, tried to cut down the room size and that seemed to help. It's still sounding too spacey though..will figure something out.
I meant the Axe's synth (even though I have a Yamaha G50 hooked up to Kontakt). That Fender Rhodes idea sounds yummy, though. :D
I'm at the 3 minute mark or so of Part I- have started to cheat with the looper on the portions where he's vamping chords and playing the solos on top..it's obviously impossible to do both parts simultaneously, unless you're Stanley Jordan :) . Surprisingly, the track actually translates quite well on guitar since the entire track is so focused on the midrange. Also, less is more on this one- I find that trying to play the entire chord voicings muddies up affairs.

Back
Top Bottom