Knowledge Needed: 5.0 parameters for dummies lol

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
ok, so I got 5.0 and I messed with it quite a bunch, and it sounds great, but I'm still not sure what the new parameters are doing to the tone and response. Can someone explain simply what the "dynamics" and "speaker motor" knob do to the response, feel, and/or tone? I read the explanations in the firmware notes, but I feel it more explains the engineer aspect of what it's recreating. I'm looking more for what the real world result of adjusting the parameter equals. Any help would be great, thanks guys. Man this update has so much to offer it's almost overwhelming.

speaker motor simulates the the impedance and distortion effects when I speaker is pushed really hard.

Dynamics - to way oversimplify- simulates the compressive effects of power amp, power supply and loudspeaker when the are pushed hard (like a network of compressors working together - interactive). That would be a way simplified explanation. Dyn up results in more compressive effect, down less. Turning it up can give a bouncier feeling. The dyn time controls how fast the bounce happens.

Last edited:
Dynamics & Motor knobs, like many things in the axe-fx, are great for training your ear.

Those used to squashed songs and tones with very little dynamics might find the dynamics thing kinda foreign and hard to discern, but keep listening and go back to some old-school guitar legends to wake up that part of your ear. You'll hear it and feel it once you start paying attention.

thanks java. So the speaker motor has sort of a compression effect as well?

Ah... now I understand the "dynamics" control, but it seems to add high end sharpness to the tone as it's turned up as well, or am i imagining that.

and the "dynamic time" parameter is kind of similar to an attack control on a compressor block?

Ah... now I understand the "dynamics" control, but it seems to add high end sharpness to the tone as it's turned up as well, or am i imagining that.

and the "dynamic time" parameter is kind of similar to an attack control on a compressor block?

It complex on the dynamics. i do not think a frequencies are compressed equally. So depending on the whole network of dynamics settings certain frequencies may pop out more than others.
yes I believe thedynamic time can be basically thought like that.

On motor drive, clipping in generally has a compressive effect.

Someone throws you a nerf football while you're running -- doesn't slow you down a bit. Now trying catching a 30lb sack of rice on the run...

The more you crank the motor drive and dynamics, the bigger the load you're throwing at a running power amp, and low frequencies are the heaviest, bulkiest part of that load and require more energy, especially at higher volumes. This is part of what Motor and Drive emulate.

As motor drive goes up, the "heavier" frequencies diminish because the amp isn't grabbing and running with them effectively nor efficiently. This is what makes it feel bouncier, but also makes it sound like the highs are being turned up...they're not. The cool part in all this is the lows will return, just back off on the pick.

It's all part of the fun of playing a tube amp, and this addition of real-world dynamic feel is big, big deal! I love it!

Yea it's interesting because i noticed my lowend is way more under control now I guess that's because of the new dynamics and what-not, very even, very cool!

Someone throws you a nerf football while you're running -- doesn't slow you down a bit. Now trying catching a 30lb sack of rice on the run...

The more you crank the motor drive and dynamics, the bigger the load you're throwing at a running power amp, and low frequencies are the heaviest, bulkiest part of that load and require more energy, especially at higher volumes. This is part of what Motor and Drive emulate.

As motor drive goes up, the "heavier" frequencies diminish because the amp isn't grabbing and running with them effectively nor efficiently. This is what makes it feel bouncier, but also makes it sound like the highs are being turned up...they're not. The cool part in all this is the lows will return, just back off on the pick.

It's all part of the fun of playing a tube amp, and this addition of real-world dynamic feel is big, big deal! I love it!

Back
Top Bottom