Knowing what you know now; what would your live stereo amplification look like today?

Kent

Inspired
I've searched on the forum and, as can be imagined, MANY hits are returned. Many threads are specific to 'this' vs. 'that' one. If anyone knows of a thread... similar topic... been answered before... blah, blah, blah; please link me to it. You know the drill; with all due respect, of course.

Context: I'd like to assemble a compact & stereo FRFR rig. There are so many options in FRFR-land right now, that I'm a bit overwhelmed and have also, more importantly, not read anything regarding what people think about their current rigs besides things along the lines of "+1" or "I bought this..." but with little word as to what works for them, what their goals are and what they think now that they've owned the rig for a while.
I'm fine with the rest of the rig. I've got the XL, foot-pedals and what not and am getting close to having everything dialled in my studio. It's nearly time to take this out live.

I'd like to use the rig as personal monitors and, for small gigs, as one would use traditional amplifiers in that the audience would hear it. A stereo line out would go to the sound man in most cases.

I'm not even certain as to whether I should be investigating PA speakers like RCFs, Mackies, etc. or if I should wait for the Friedman (although large & heavy for one guy) and/or investigate similar solutions from Xitone, Atomic et al.

I'd appreciate any insight and opinions as to what is and isn't working for forum members and any thoughts as to what they wish they had known before making a buying decision.

Thanks!

Happy to share my experience. Like you, I'm completely happy with my AxeFXII and will only comment on amplification.

I've played my AxeFX (connected just as you describe) through the following at live gigs;

- Atomic CLR wedges
- Xitone 1x12 wedges
- Yamaha DXR10 pa speakers
- Yamaha DSR115 pa speakers
- Tech 21 Power Engine 60
- No personal speaker at all - Direct only to FOH and heard myself through stage monitors

The CLRs and Xitones are far and away the better sounding setup to me. I compared them recently here;
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/101630-clr-vs-xitone.html#post1219021

The PA Speakers were plenty loud and accurate, but just didn't feel right to me. They felt clinical and lifeless compared to the Xitones and CLRs.

The Tech21 Power Engine is surprisingly fun to play and sounds pretty good. Cheap, light and a super flexible EQ.

So, to answer your question exactly, I would not change a thing about my rig. CLR's or Xitones are the clear winners. Both are great.

My one piece of advice to you would be to go with two speakers for stereo (as opposed to two separately wired speakers in one enclosure). That way, you can drag just one speaker along and go mono for small gigs.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for taking the time, sir. You're a true gentleman. I appreciate your having contributed. :encouragement:

I'm using two CLRs (wedges), at home and for some gigs. They serve me well. No GAS for anything else.
It's truly amazing to play in that kind of of stereo field.

Would be even better if it were the lighter Neo versions.

Back
Top Bottom