Klon. I get it now.

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
I’ve been looking around for different “Klones” and found a killer deal on a Matthews Effects Architect v3 that I couldn’t pass up. Compared to most clones, it has a three band active EQ and a built it boost.

After playing through it, I can see the appeal. It’s got a very smooth top end and a character midrange that’s arguably not as intrusive as say, a Tube Screamer. But for me, the feel is where it’s at. It’s just a pleasure to play though it.

But, yeah. I get it now. Regardless of what the actual pedals are fetching, I see why it was so popular when it first hit the market.

@FractalAudio any chance we’ll see it added to the Drive Block? It sounds lovely going into the Two Stone J45 model.

Cool! They are great at the end of a chain as a tone enhancer, too, with the gain low and tone and volume to taste.

They won't do what a TS does best lopping low-end off a cooking amp, and a TS won't do what a Klon does
best with its fuller spectrum push. I like them both, but for different purposes.

They won't do what a TS does best lopping low-end off a cooking amp, and a TS won't do what a Klon does
best with its fuller spectrum push. I like them both, but for different purposes.
Exactly. It sounds really good stacked on either side of a TS as well.

Been down that road. There’s a lot of interaction between parts of the circuit that can’t be replicated in real time. You can get close, but as soon as you change one setting, the rest don’t follow along.
Have you tried the advice from the wiki? A few of the examples point back to this forum and have some pretty good comments from well known Fractalites.

Have you tried the advice from the wiki? A few of the examples point back to this forum and have some pretty good comments from well known Fractalites.
Yeah, I’ve tried them all. The issue is that all of those settings emulate a Klon in a static state. If you want, say, more gain, simply turning the drive up isn’t the same as when you do it on the pedal.

For example: the pedal has a dual gang pot. As you increase the gain, the clean signal decreases.

Yeah, I’ve tried them all. The issue is that all of those settings emulate a Klon in a static state. If you want, say, more gain, simply turning the drive up isn’t the same as when you do it on the pedal.

For example: the pedal has a dual gang pot. As you increase the gain, the clean signal decreases.
The pedal itself is designed to be used in a static state. I'm assuming you'd be looking for 2-3 setting options. Couldn't you handle that by having different scenes? Yek addressed that in his post; he offered two options. I haven't tried to emulate it, so I'm just wondering.

I think the Klon circuit is special. I have a Tumnus Deluxe and stacked it into an OCD or just ran it by itself. That into a Plexi-ish homebrew amp was my sound until I got the FM3. I have tried it in front of the Fractal with good results, but since my stuff isn’t mounted on a board I don’t use it often. It’s more stuff to hook up. I use the FET boost more than anything else. It does a suitable job but there’s something different about the Klon derived pedals. Like the OP says it’s a feel thing and it’s smooth. It would be nice to have one in a drive block. Maybe some day.

Back
Top Bottom