Klon Capture IR of Most Common Clean Boost Settings

Yes I think I changed the input drive, lowered it so the boost wouldn't make it overwhelming, but the tone controls and advanced parameters are factory. It's a great combo the Klon and the Dumble. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting! I got some idea of post drive EQ tricks! Thanks!
For CPU optimization it could be cool to have it in the form of Tonematch block. Can you provide?

Very interesting! I got some idea of post drive EQ tricks! Thanks!
For CPU optimization it could be cool to have it in the form of Tonematch block. Can you provide?

You bet!

For CPU optimization, if you are wanting to lighten the load, ditch the drive block (-10%) and use the level on the cab block to boost the 3-6dB. The TMA uses ~10% cpu but does not allow for ultrares which these IR were captured as. The mono high res cab block uses 16.8% cpu (ultrares adds no cpu hit), IMO the extra 6.8% is worth the result.

The other issue is that I didn't use the TMA for the capture and would have to recapture the data. Currently time isn't allowing for that.

Hey Groovenut,
Just wanted to say thanks.

I really like what the clean version of your Klon IR does for some of my dirty presets. There were some where they were just missing something that I couldn't quite figure out and your Klon IR is the final puzzle piece. Great work!

Without wanting to take anything away from the great work done in capturing these EQs, I think this goes to show that many guitarists are unaware of the power or pre-overdrive EQ, and how it changes the character of overdrive.

I haven't analysed the Klon circuit (used clean), but I'd be surprised if the same tones cannot be achived with a PEQ block with much more power and flexibility. And this isn't about trying to work out the exact frequencies, Q settings, cut/boost levels to copy the Klon, it's about skill in knowing how these work together to dial in the tones you want.

Just my 2c worth as usual ;)

Without wanting to take anything away from the great work done in capturing these EQs, I think this goes to show that many guitarists are unaware of the power or pre-overdrive EQ, and how it changes the character of overdrive.

I haven't analysed the Klon circuit (used clean), but I'd be surprised if the same tones cannot be achived with a PEQ block with much more power and flexibility. And this isn't about trying to work out the exact frequencies, Q settings, cut/boost levels to copy the Klon, it's about skill in knowing how these work together to dial in the tones you want.

Just my 2c worth as usual ;)

IMO if you wanted to set up a parametric eq with a 1st order high pass filter -3dB at 20Hz, a notch filter 2dB at 700Hz and a first order low pass filter -3dB at 6.4KHz, that should get you pretty close to the clean klon setting. Granted there is other minor filtering going on but if you are really concerned with that just use the IR. I think using these setting with the para eq after the FET Boost drive pedal would give pretty similar results.

IMO if you wanted to set up a parametric eq with a 1st order high pass filter -3dB at 20Hz, a notch filter 2dB at 700Hz and a first order low pass filter -3dB at 6.4KHz, that should get you pretty close to the clean klon setting. Granted there is other minor filtering going on but if you are really concerned with that just use the IR. I think using these setting with the para eq after the FET Boost drive pedal would give pretty similar results.

-3dB at 20Hz or do you mean -3dB at 200Hz?

-3dB at 20Hz or do you mean -3dB at 200Hz?

20Hz. From my calculations and simwork there's little to no low end roll off with the gain control set to zero. It's not until you start increasing the gain control that you get much low end filtering.

For the "most frequently used" setting ie gain pot at 9 oclock, treble at noon, set a peaking filter +3dB at 845 Hz Q~1.5-2, set a second order low pass filter -3dB at 1.9KHz, and set a high pass filter -3dB at 164Hz

Here is what i produced from your patch. THANKS! Alot of tricks here with adding harmonic content here and there. Now only using guitar controls i can produce tremendous amount of tones... omg... i`m happy :)
BTW i tryed to replace cab block with PEQ... i understood that captured profile adds much more small peaks that PEQ can. No success, stayed with cab :)
Now i think what else can we capture to get interesting profile :)

Last edited:
I found the CLean Klon IR/FET combo to work particularly well on my DC30 patch over the weekend... no surprise as my real Klon is a match made in heaven with a real SC30 head I used to have. Thansk again for working these up and the continued info above...

This is interesting...

If I want to use the klon ir with the fet boost as more of a clean boost I should just turn the drive down ?

This is interesting...

If I want to use the klon ir with the fet boost as more of a clean boost I should just turn the drive down ?

With standard passive pickups and the default FET Boost settings, there should be no signal clipping going on. It should be completely clean, not even a hint of upper harmonic generation due to clipping. Here's a screenshot of a 500Hz 500mV signal passing through the FET Boost drive block at default settings (everything at noon).

Upper harmonics dont begin to appear until ~6 (5.7 with the prior used signal) on the drive level of the FET Boost and the sine wave doesnt show any clipping until ~7.

All this is to say that you shouldn't be getting any clipping from the FET Boost block with the default settings. If you are then yes just lower the drive level of the block. However, if you are referring to the amount of added gain/distortion in the overall signal of the preset with the FET Boost/Klon IR engaged, then I would recommend lowering the output level of the FET Boost block. In the preset I posted, the drive level is set to 10 which is boosting the signal to the front of the amp block.

If you were wanting more of a volume boost, then you would need to move the FET/Klon IR after the amp block.

Attachments

• FET Boost 500Hz 500mV input default settings.jpg
    FET Boost 500Hz 500mV input default settings.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 91

Here's a patch i've been working on. got the klon overdrive going into the twin reverb model. I need to throw some fresh strings on my tele. If I go on the bridge pup with the volume wide open it breaks up just a bit so nicely. fun stuff

Be nice to just have a Klon drive block instead of having to cobble two different blocks together. That way it can work with the button I've assigned on the MFC.

I've replaced a few Klon pedals by ear with the FET BOOST with some high cut and mid boost, so this seems and sounds right on.

I appreciate your input M@, and without Klon pedal sitting next to me I would never know if I can nail it or not. Most of the drives in the Axe satisfy me.

I do think it a bit strange that this pedal is at the top of the drive requests but it is not added. We have one of the cheesiest pedals ever made in the Axe (IMHO) but not the most coveted.

I appreciate your input M@, and without Klon pedal sitting next to me I would never know if I can nail it or not. Most of the drives in the Axe satisfy me.

I do think it a bit strange that this pedal is at the top of the drive requests but it is not added. We have one of the cheesiest pedals ever made in the Axe (IMHO) but not the most coveted.

then the only answer's are, it cant be modeled, or cliff doesn't want to. Inevitably if it were modeled there would be a slew of cork sniffers saying it sounds nothing like it.

Back
Top Bottom