Kirk Hammett new Randall signature head video

Ok, I like some Metallica and there are obviously a LOT of Metallica fans out there. Maybe it's just me?........but, I just don't get Kirk Hammett? IMHO his playing and tone is horrible. The above video is an example of both, That amp sounded terrible. Watch the video of 'That Metal Show' were he is jamming a simple 1-4-5 blues riff with Michael Schenker in the key of A and Kirk is soloing in the key of E...........???? My drummer called me after it first aired and asked me "Dude was he playing in the wrong key that whole time?"

Like I said....Maybe it's just me...........Oh, and my Drummer.....lol

Tough crowd!
I didn't think it sounded all that bad. Not enough to warrant the posts here. I also wouldn't take a video from YouTube as a great way to audition anything... the compression and bit limit alone hurt the audio.

Ok, I like some Metallica and there are obviously a LOT of Metallica fans out there. Maybe it's just me?........but, I just don't get Kirk Hammett? IMHO his playing and tone is horrible. The above video is an example of both, That amp sounded terrible. Watch the video of 'That Metal Show' were he is jamming a simple 1-4-5 blues riff with Michael Schenker in the key of A and Kirk is soloing in the key of E...........???? My drummer called me after it first aired and asked me "Dude was he playing in the wrong key that whole time?"

Yeah I wouldn't say he is awful but he is so overrated. Generic phrasing and overuse of the wah. That being said he has likely sold in the top 10 of arist signature gear I bet. I don't get it.

I honestly think it was Hetfields riffs that inspired more people to pick up the guitar than hammers playing, but Kirk gets the credit for playing over Hets classic riffs.

@Moke not sure what Kirk was doing on TMS, but E minor pentatonic works over I-IV-V in A. = E, G, A, B, D

Kirk is one of those musicians that is polarizing though, that's for sure.

I come from the old school and don't believe in bagging on musicians and putting bad vibes out there. Better to support everyone and think of us all in this together for the win.

Seriously... this is one of the the most crappy sounding amp I've ever heard. Comparison to Metal Zone is fully justified :)

Not just you.

We all have our heroes, and he's inspired thousands, (if not *hundreds of thousands*) of folks to pick up the guitar so I can't fault him at all. He's just never been on my hero list.

I'm not a hater, Hammett is servicable and seems like a decent dude. But, Hammett is relevant/idolized only because he happens to be the 'lead' guitarist in Metallica. Metallica would be relevant and noteworthy without Kirk but Kirk would not be relevant or noteworthy without Metallica. Does not mean he is talentless but he is not the reason they are living legends.

Metallica is 100% about riffs; Hetfield is underrated IMHO. The guy playing solos for Metallica is not the creative linchpin.

I think that's a Mike Fortin development. And everything he does is top notch.

Is the player that makes it sound crappy.

Reactions: ang

It's not just you. Hammett sucks...every bit as much as the tone of this amp.

Ok, I first didn't believe that it could actually sound as bad as you guys described, but IT ACTUALLY DOES! What a horrible tone! And then look at the price of this thing... Would surprise me if they sell 10 pieces of this.

And big +1 for Hetfield, I actually even like his solos (he plays too few in my opinion). His rhythm work is unreached and one of its kind, no doubt here, that's what made Metallica a legend.

Back
Top Bottom