King Crimson Tour 2014

Tonemeister

Experienced
Anybody go the King Crimson show in Albany, NY? I have tix to the Boston show and I'm wondering if they have an opening act, and/or what time they go on?

I'll answer my own question here. No opening act and they go on promptly at 8pm. Not photos or videos allowed I'm afraid. I'm really bummed that Trey Gunn is out of this lineup. Not sure where he would stand on stage though. LOL. It will be cool to hear some of those old ass tracks reinvented by this lineup. I think it's cool that they are taking the traditional backline front line thing and flipping it around. 3 drummers positioned Front L Front C and Front R with everybody else behind them. SO pumped. Tonight's the night!

Man, that makes me regret not jumping on a plane. I really miss Boston and would literally give my left nut to see Starless played live.

I saw their Discipline, Three of a Perfect Pair lineup there in the early 80's. Still mind blown from the live version of Elephant Talk.

Soak it all in my friend!

OMG. Mind...blown. Easily the sickest musical experience of my life. It was exciting and terrifying. Inspirational and jaw dropping. Tony Levin sounded the best I've ever heard him. His tone, playing and his singing were just perfect. I could see Fripp had two AXE FX units in his rack. The 3 drummer thing was off the hook. I was mesmerized by them. Watching them interact and maintain eye contact through the performance was really cool. They had these little audio clips of an old interview from some newbie music reporter interviewing Fripp and asking stupid questions. They edited it so there were a bunch of "umms" and "uhhs" It was really funny.

High points

Sax solo to replace Adrian Belew's solo in Level 5.
Tony Levin vocal harmonies
3 drummers!!
Larks Tongues, RED, and Starless
Crazy drum solo in the encore

Adrian Belew is the man! I was surprised to find out that he's not part of the lineup. Fripp is the man too though so I suppose it evens out. Does anyone have any video links from any of these shows?

Does anyone have any video links from any of these shows?
They don't allow pictures or videos AT ALL during the show. At one point I wanted to write a note to myself on my cell phone so I would remember something specific about the show and a 70 year old lady came bombing down the isle and started flailing her arms around and signaling "NO!!!!" I started laughing but I put the phone away. I think she interpreted the band's request to mean absolutely no cell phone use of any kind. I hope they eventually document these shows in some way, whether it be a live album or live DVD. It was that good. I kept saying to my self that it was the best show I've ever seen.

Reactions: kag
That would be great! For the past several tours, Adrian's Seattle date has been on my birthday, or the day before. It's awfully considerate of him to meticulously plan his tours around my personal needs :)

That would be great! For the past several tours, Adrian's Seattle date has been on my birthday, or the day before. It's awfully considerate of him to meticulously plan his tours around my personal needs :)
I'm sure he was just assuming someone would have bought you a ticket for your birthday.

Was at the Chicago show last weekend, was fantastic! Seen the band in various incarnations over the past few decades and this version of the group really can kick some ass. Wondered how a 3 drummer show would work, and really was impressed how well everything jelled together.

As other's have pointed out, Fripp had the two Axe setup. I had main floor center seats, so didn't have an unobstructed view of the Fripp command center. However, did come across this shot that you might enjoy from Tony Levin's website, with Fripp, an Axe, and the Axe-Edit going on the laptop. http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14graphics/lastjune4.jpg and http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14graphics/julyreh13.jpg

Great show, just a few shows left in LA, San Francisco, and Seattle. Well worth the effort to get there.

Back
Top Bottom