Kill Switch Block

Todd McMullen

Inspired
Does anyone know how to build a "Kill Switch Block"? I'm looking to emulate the rapid/staccato style kill switch that Jason Hook uses from 5 Finger Death Punch. I've looked on AxEchange and didn't get anything to come up with a search. Looking to engage it with a control switch "momentary latch", when you step on the cs it engages the kill switch and when you release it you have your full preset volume back. Would be even better if you could program it with 8th or 16th note timing of the kill switch while engaged.

Does anyone know how to build a "Kill Switch Block"? I'm looking to emulate the rapid/staccato style kill switch that Jason Hook uses from 5 Finger Death Punch. I've looked on AxEchange and didn't get anything to come up with a search. Looking to engage it with a control switch "momentary latch", when you step on the cs it engages the kill switch and when you release it you have your full preset volume back. Would be even better if you could program it with 8th or 16th note timing of the kill switch while engaged.
Use a VolPan. Hook the controller to the 0-10 knob on the main panel, set it so off is 100% and on is 0%, play with the attack time if it isn't already ok. :) Tap any rhythm you like.... :) Or, use Chris' method and set the switch up so it's only chopping up your sound when you step on it, like yer brake pedal and ABS.... :D

You could even play with the sequencer controller on the VolPan to get complex rhythms going....

Last edited:
Thank you Gents!! Several very creative ways to accomplish this! I greatly appreciate your time and suggestions. I programed the block and saved it in my library as "Kill Switch". Works exactly the way I wanted it to!

The question now is, do you have a good Jason Hook preset to share? I love his tone! :)
I do too! He's using the EVH EL 34 lately (or for a while) and as there are many options to create thunderous presets, his tone and saturation is difficult to emulate. So to answer your question ... unfortunately no. If I do, I'll be certain to post it here and on Axechange.

I tie rate to the envelop follower ... as decay happens, rate slows. I use it for the kill switch ending for “Are you going with me” by Lenny Kravitz

It is it’s separate, own scene

Back
Top Bottom